• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Web-Source 5

This site, http://healthy-crops.com, is based on osComerce 2.3. The client needed an online presence that would showcase their newest product line, but without an online purchase system. So why use osCommerce? It is flexible enough to do what is needed, and has all built in features a small business needs, contact forms, admin customers storage as address book, etc; etc; but also future proofing, if ever the client desires to sell directly online, the ability is waiting.

This particular site is geared towards farmers. With this audience in mind consideration was took towards graphic use when appropriate, for navigation as well as highlighting important content, such as found here: http://healthy-crops.com/peanuts-p-1.html . This page, and others like it, are also available as brochures available VIA pdf download, or handed out at various trade shows.

(please note that not all crops in the side column navigation are yet available.(awaiting more brochures))

The use of graphics keeps a simular feel to the brochures, and gives reason to keep reading down the page. Farmers tend to spend little time behind a PC and graphics make a great visual aid. With this in mind, responsive design also become a desired requirement.

Though many farmers may not spend a lot of time behind a PC, the phone is a totally different beast. One of the easiest things a farmer can do is make use of their smart phone to quickly view information they may have picked up on VIA a brochure or word of mouth. Hence a fully responsive design was implemented.

No longer is there a 960 grid system in place, but a custom built framework composed of jQuery UI, Zurb foundation, and a few tricks for switching from full page width, http://healthy-crops.com/report-p-7.html, to the sites defualt 2 column layout.

Layouts range from two column - sidebars left, two column - sidebars right, three column - sidebars left and right, or 2 on left, or 2 on right, one column full width - no sidebars, or one column full width sidebars under content. Each style may be applied individually to the products page while editing/creating, or the default 2 column sidebar left is loaded.

So why is this labeled a case study? Becuase it demonstrates a great example of how osCommerce was implemented for the business' target audience, while leaving future options open, all while also showing how osC can be used for an online stores full site needs. No need to place several softwares together and work hours/spend more to integrate design, and further move links to products into a secondary directory. Basically 1 software to mantain, and options are practically unlimited. Never underestimate your software.

• 2 months later...

@@Web-Source 5

@@joli1811

compliments to both of you on your creativity. nice looking sites...

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Archived