• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Add a forum?

cd100

Hi,

Can anybody tell me if theres a contribution to add a forum to an osc store? I have searched, but it gets messy because it contains the word 'forum'!

Ideally I would like to add it from a contribution so it is 'integrated' and follows the same style as my store.

I suppose another alternative would be to install a script from fantastico into a subfolder on my domain and point to it from my storefront....can anyone tell me if this is possible please?

Regards,

Claire

Its generally best to keep your store and forum as seperate items. Having a joint login could cause security issues. Install your forum in a sub folder and make it look like your store.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Be aware that customers will not be able to jump back and forth between the store and the forum, as they will lose their "session" information, and with it, their sign-ons, cart, etc. Most shopping carts (such as osC) and most forums, as well as most applications in general, are architected to think that they own the whole site and have complete control over everything, including sign-ons and sessions. If you absolutely must have seamless integration between the store and the forum, you'll have to select a Content Management System and use its available forum and shopping cart (neither of which usually are quite as good as the standalones such as osC). Otherwise, if you and your customers are willing to accept the limitation that you need to finish your business in one side (check out/log out) before going over to the other side, installing a separate forum may do the job for you.

Don't forget to install osC in its own subdirectory (e.g., /catalog or /shop) and likewise the forum into its own /forum. Brew up your own landing page /index.* with links to the store and the forum. Don't install one in the root and the other in a subdirectory.

Thanks for your replies

Ok, what I actually need is a page where people can post messages for others to read. I dont need any integrated chat...users can arrange this themselves via skype msn or whatever.

I really only need somewhere where users at the same level can say "Hi!, anyone at my level want to practise with me? My email / skype etc is...

Would that be any easier to implement?

Thanks

Just found a guestbook contribution that Im sure could be adapted for what I wanted. However, it was quite (!) old, and written for 2.2.

Does anybody know of any newer, similar types of add on, written for 2.3, or are there any in anybody's pipeline?

Thanks

Claire

I guess that maybe noticeboard is the word Im looking for, but one that members could post too

Hmm. Are you looking for members/customers to be able to carry on a conversation (thread), or just issue one-time notices? The former would be something like a forum, while the latter would be more like a bulletin board or notice board (need to contact directly, to respond). Note that many people will be leery of posting their contact information in public, and would at least require membership (being logged on) to be able to read anything. If you restrict membership to those who have made a purchase, rather than allowing just anyone to sign up, you would likely have less of a spam problem in either format. Forums such as SMF (simplemachines.org) can certainly restrict membership to whoever the administrator decides to let in, and only allow members to read and write posts. The downside is that it will think that it owns the site (as does osC itself), so you can't jump back and forth between the two willy-nilly.

It sounds like you need just a simple way of customer/group interaction. What may work well is to create a new static page and integrate the disqus script into it. http://disqus.com Its a fairly simple script to install, and yet powerful enough to expand to meet future needs. It will allow visitors to login with several existing accounts or create a disqus account.

My recommendation to install a forum in oscommerce is to use ip.board, this software allow you to integrate with any php system

thanks

Speaking about IP.Board, does it mean that I can somehow share user base between IP.Board and osC? I mean, if an user is registered in IPB can that same user log in to osC using the same credentials?

Remark to cd100: IP.Board is paid software (you have to pay for the license) if you're looking for free solution go for SMF (Simple Machines Forum).

A bridge between osC and IP Board sounds like a custom coded project to me. I doubt it exists.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Archived