• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I did it! 2.2-MS2 to 2.3.3

rudolfl

Hi, all

Finally, a success. Upgraded my site from 2.2-MS2 to 2.3.3 and kept all the functionality along the way!

wwwDOThatsfromozDOTcomDOTau

That was an interesting experience and will be happy to help others, as I learned a lot in process.

Next step -- getting mobile version of site going....

Rudolf

• 3 weeks later...

Care to share how you did it? I'm in the exact same boat and am struggling with how to go about doing this. If I have to recreate the whole store (as it seems to be what most people are telling me), what's keeping me from going to OpenCart or some other more modern platform instead?

No, not at all. However, updating a store from MS2 to v2.3.3 is creating a functional mess. And, when hosting providers upgrade to PHP 5.4 the site will be rendered useless anyway.

So, updating from MS2 should never be done. (in my opinion)

Chris

No, not at all. However, updating a store from MS2 to v2.3.3 is creating a functional mess. And, when hosting providers upgrade to PHP 5.4 the site will be rendered useless anyway.

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus. I sure wish all upgrades were as easy as WordPress is. I guess I'm spoiled. It's my fault for customizing OSC so heavily. If I had left it plain valilla, I could have kept up with the upgrades. Now, even with data migration, I'm recreating the beast (that has been working flawlessly for years) and I'm not happy. I'm having serious doubts about staying with OSC, but I guess on an OSC forum, I'm not lkely to get anything but a biased response to that. ;)

• 3 months later...

Hi @@rudolfl

Can you please share , how you had upgraded you cart from v 2.2.2 to v 2.3.3. I am currently looking for the process

i have few doubts.

- how about the custom changes in the templates..

- how about if we have used the add-ons in the v 2.2.2 , in that case do we need to install the new version and install the same add-on available for the later version.

- can we directly upgrade the store from v 2.2.2 to v 2.3.3 or do we need to upgrade in the step-by-step upgrade as below

( first v2.2 to v2.3.0 then v2.3.0 to v2.3.1 followed by v2.3.1 to v2.3.2 and then followed by v2.3.2 to v2.3.3 )

And Finally upgrading from one version to next version is like..

-- installing the later version of the osCommerce

-- apply the changes to the previous version of database

-- and the point the later version of the database to the new version of the older db, which has been applied with the sql changes

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus. I sure wish all upgrades were as easy as WordPress is. I guess I'm spoiled. It's my fault for customizing OSC so heavily. If I had left it plain valilla, I could have kept up with the upgrades. Now, even with data migration, I'm recreating the beast (that has been working flawlessly for years) and I'm not happy. I'm having serious doubts about staying with OSC, but I guess on an OSC forum, I'm not lkely to get anything but a biased response to that. ;)

@@metoome

Did you even bother to read this ? The post you replied to goes back to January 2013. Since then PHP 5.4 is starting to be used on many hosting providers servers so even the OP's site will become useless once that happens. You are best off to create a NEW site using the latest stable version of osCommerce.

Chris

@@DunWeb

Thanks for higlighting the portion of the post

Yes i have read, but i have an assignment from my client to do the needful, so only i am looking for the options to upgrade his old version of v 2.2.2 to v 2.3.3

If you wish to do the upgrade then start with the upgrade manual from 2.3 , then 2.3.1, then 2.3.2 and finally 2.3.3

@@metoome

but i have an assignment from my client

You are offering professional osCommerce services ? Yet, you are coming in here asking for help ? A GOOD developer would have advised their client that upgrading from a long extinct version is NOT going to work. By you telling your client you can do it, you are doing your client a great injustice and inevitably you will only cost your client more money to get a NEW website done in the VERY near future.

Do the right thing, refer your client to an experienced osCommerce developer who will tell it to them straight and save them money and headaches.

Chris

@@DunWeb

I am not a professional oscommerce developer, but trying to learn things by experience. Anyhow this is just a try from side, i am not going to charge him for this work, its out of my own interest only. Yes i have given him the idea, that this process will have more number of issues as we progress, and lets try our luck and if not

we shall go for the install of new version of the osCommerce.

If you wish to do the upgrade then start with the upgrade manual from 2.3 , then 2.3.1, then 2.3.2 and finally 2.3.3

Yes, i am in the way you had suggested.. started with 2.3.0 mannual

It is not a problem to run a MS2 based cart under PHP 5.4 if all the recommended upgrades and patches have been applied over the years. If have just tested it out for our company website, and there were just 1 or 2 issues to fix which, as it turned out, were caused by missed bug fixes. While I was at it, I even changed the myslq connector to mysqli, so everything should be future-proof for a few years to come now.

Thomas

@Mention

Step1. Install 2.3.3

Step 2. DB conversion. contact me directly -- i can e-mail my SQL script. Basically, I compared two databases (my original one and new from 2.3.3) table by table and put all the required changes into a script. changes are not that dramatic, just time consuming comparing two databases. At this stage, ignore all database changes that are related to your add-ons.

Step3. Apply your original add-ons one by one, getting new version of each add-on. I used version control system, so I knew what changes I did to original installation. At this stage, before applying corresponding SQL to your DB, check it against what you already have in database and only apply differences if required.

Step4. Apply custom changes to your template. Again, version control saved me a lot of time. I also found that custom changes I originally made, worked almost unchanged on 2.3. Some not very clean (e.q. my changes used tables instead of divs), but they still worked. And I can fix the layout later.

Step5. TEST EVERYTHING before deploying live.

Whole conversion process took me about 2 weeks part-time.

Rudolf

Hi Rudolph,

I need to do the same thing, but I can't find any information on it. Where did you get the upgrade and the instructions to do it. I am not very savvy with this stuff and need explicit instructions.

Thanks,

Hope

@@metoome

Did you even bother to read this ? The post you replied to goes back to January 2013. Since then PHP 5.4 is starting to be used on many hosting providers servers so even the OP's site will become useless once that happens. You are best off to create a NEW site using the latest stable version of osCommerce.

Chris

Chris if I do that how do I get all my data (products, custmers, past order, etc) in the new website?

I've also just completed the upgrade from MS 2.2 to 2.3.3 (www.herbalmedicineuk.com) and am a novice. Basic procedure:

Install 2.3.3. And point it at a copy of your current database. Check and fix any errors you'll be surprised at how it almost all already works.

Install the contributions you use one by one using 2.3.3 versions I also found some customisation I'd done could just be ported in direct (use a file compare tool).

To get a new theme easiest way was to use free theme roller.

Everything is logical the only problems I had we're reintegrating Worldpay.

I've also created a full mobile site too but can't use it as I need SHP contribution to work to show SPPC.

I was initially daunted but installing 2.3.3 and then linking to a copy of my database made me realise it wasn't going to be that hard.

Highly recommend it!

Lorraine

Sorry I need to elaborate on the data base bit:

Take a SQL dump of your current database. Install 2.3.3.

For each table in the new 2.3.3. Drop it then recreate from your SQL dump.

Don't touch 'new' 2.3.3 tables.

Any other tables will come in when you add back the 2.3.3 contribs.

I'm not saying this is right but it's what I did.

You will now be working with clean 2.3.3 and your data!

Carte Blanche!

Lorraine

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also still using 2.2 and when I'm thinking about all the 50 different ad-ons I'm using and all the changes I've made to my shop in last few years and that I would have to install everything from scratch I'm getting a headache ...

Is there really no other good option than a fresh install of the newest version??

Posted · Hidden by burt, August 15, 2013 - SPAM
Hidden by burt, August 15, 2013 - SPAM

We have been scratching our heads over this one for a while. Our site www.modelkitsdirect.com is looking very tired at the moment so i decided to upgrade to a whole new 2.3.3 template. Tried the linking to the old database route but it just broke the new site straightaway - may have been the mods to the old database, not sure???. Decided to bite the bullet and use some online services I found at www.convertquarktoindesign.com/migrateoscommerce.html. Customers migration now complete and all seem to work fine, passwords included. :) Happy Days!!

@@Oza

I was just thinking the same, tho the main thing for my store is we have thousands of items and even more customers in our database. I can't even fathom how to save those without re-entering everything since 2004.

And I'd wanna do a full upgrade to 3.x

any ideas??

Archived