• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

how do i change my existing administrator password using PHPMyAdmin?

salamandir@hybrideleph.com

i'm using OSC 2.2 RC2 on a separate host.

i experienced a computer meltdown, and my (local, saved) administrator password vanished.

i can log into PHPMyAdmin, but i can't log in to my administrator area on OSC because i can't remember the password. for all of the passwords i try, i get "Error: Invalid administrator login attempt."

i'm assuming that it's okay for me to log in to PHPMyAdmin and change the administrator password there, i just don't know how:

the password that's currently there is encoded somehow, and i would be entering a new password in plain text... is that okay? will the new password be encoded, or will it exist in the database as a plain-text (i.e. easier to crack) password?

from what i've been reading, some people advise deleting the current administrator and creating a new one. is that what i should do, or is changing the current administrator password sufficient?

⇑ Hybrid Elephant ⇒ http://www.hybridelephant.com/ ⇐ The World's Finest Exotic Incense ⇓

Follow the advice as it is correct.

You have to delete all the administrator records then it will prompt you for a new one.

There are posts showing the code to change the password to specific values, so you could google for those.

Cheers

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

NEVER MIND! (w00t)

i found a method for changing my admin password with PHPMyAdmin that is directly from the OSC forums, and it worked.

THANK YOU! :)

Follow the advice as it is correct.

You have to delete all the administrator records then it will prompt you for a new one.

how and where will it prompt me for a new admin?

if i delete the entire administrator from the database, and then login to the administrator section, won't the response i get be "Error: Invalid administrator login attempt." ?

There are posts showing the code to change the password to specific values, so you could google for those.

sorry, you're going to have to be a little more specific... if i google "PHPMyAdmin, codes to change admin password, specific values" i get a bunch of stuff for wordpress, joomla, moodle and pretty much everything except OSC, and if i add "osCommerce" to the search query, i get a whole bunch of sketchy, not entirely legal ways of breaking into an OSC installation without permission...

⇑ Hybrid Elephant ⇒ http://www.hybridelephant.com/ ⇐ The World's Finest Exotic Incense ⇓

• 2 weeks later...

You will need to log into cpanel with your supplied user name and password.normally abc/cpanel.select the username field and enter your usrname next select the password field and enter your password. Select the phpMyAdmin icon in the Databases section. In phpMyAdmin select the database used by your web site by clicking it. Scroll down to the jos_users table. Select the jos_users table by clicking on it. Now click on the Edit link for the user we want to reset the password for. Select the password field, deleting the existing value and replacing it with a new password.

@@jaysh4922

Your advice is completely WRONG as you cannot just enter a new password into the password field of the database. Also, there is NO jos_users table in a default installation of osCommerce.

Chris

@jaysh4922

NEVER MIND! (w00t)

i found a method for changing my admin password with PHPMyAdmin that is directly from the OSC forums - http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/91051-forgotten-admin-password/ - and it worked.

Archived