• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Optional choices in shipping - possible?

Schizolocal

I've been trying to set up a shipping module for St.Helena (where I live), and it is really a combination of a calculated price per unit weight with an anomalous start of table (where the calculation isn't right)

But that's not a problem - I can handle that.

What I am trying to do is to offer two completely optional extras which are not complicated:

Registered mail (off - no additional charge, on - add a fixed fee)

Advice of delivery ( ditto )

Further, I want to offer Insurance as an option

Insurance; (off - no additional charge, on - fixed price per unit value (e.g. £1 per £20 value)

I don't think offering all of the combinations of the above as separate shipping options is a sensible idea, so how would I effectively add three tick boxes associated with one particular shipping method (I will eventually have another which doesn't offer these options)

Is it even possible without a complete re-write? Or maybe I'm just missing something simple.

Stuart

(Me: Not new to PHP but new to osCommerce)

Thanks for the feedback, CodeMonkey

In one sense I am disappointed that it is probably more work than I had envisaged (and may even be capable of), but on the other hand it seems I haven't completely misunderstood the concepts.

With the three radio button solution, it simply means that the user cannot select both Registered and Advice of Delivery, but that might not be too traumatic.In fact, I had thought of abandoning the Advice option anyway, since it will be the merchant that gets the advice, not the customer. At least with Registered mail. the recipient has a stake in the process.

I will have to delve into the Order Total module though - I was hoping Insurance would be just another Shipping option.(I have no problem with the programming once I know the option has been selected)

Stuart