• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Ultimate URLs - Remove the "p-2344" from URL

neeper67

Hello community,

I am at a cross roads with my URL rewrite called Ultimate SEO URLS.

I do not want to add the "p-234" at the end of each URL.

Example:

Current URL:

http://www.mydomain.com/the-cat-and-dog-p-2344.html

Desired URL:

http://www.mydomain.com/the-cat-and-dog.html

Is there a way to remove it? I was reading and it does not seam like there is a way.

Maybe you know of a way to remove that annoying "product number" from the end of the URL.

If it is impossible, then can make a recommendation to a more "friendlier" URL rewriter?

Thank You in advance!

Edited by neeper67

That number is what osCommerce uses to find the product data in the database. There's no easy way to remove it.

There is no good reason to use a URL rewriter anyway, so why are you wasting your time doing this?

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

There are a few "older" seo url mods you can use to get that kind of urls, but none of them are supported or further developed.

There is no good reason to use a URL rewriter anyway, so why are you wasting your time doing this?

@@kymation - do you mean for ranking in the search engines ?

I sure like seeing my search words repeated in the url, that gives me personally more confidence that the presented link is about what I'm looking for - so I do think it matters for converting on organic search results

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

None of the major search engines consider words in the URL for ranking purposes. Google has stated that they don't want you to rewrite URLs. I don't consider it wise to do something that the search engine tells you not to.

As far as people liking the search terms in the URL, I've learned long ago that spammers put the search terms there to trick me into clicking on their link. I would expect that at least some of your customers have learned that as well. The description is far more useful in getting someone's attention.

If you really want to spice up your listings, look into Rich Snippets.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

I agree, guess what is on my todo-list ...

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

None of the major search engines consider words in the URL for ranking purposes.

They do as far as I know. Has some change been made to say otherwise? Please point me to this so I can take a look.

Google has stated that they don't want you to rewrite URLs. I don't consider it wise to do something that the search engine tells you not to.

Actually, what google said is that so many people made mistakes rewriting the url's that it is best to leave them as they are. If the url's are rewritten properly, which several of the url rewriter contributions do, they are perfectly OK to use. Having the keywords in the url do help with SEO, though not as much as they used to. But rewritten url's were never meant as the only SEO change to be made. If they are changed correctly and the pages are optimized, the overall SEO benifit will greater than if the url's are not rewritten.

As far as people liking the search terms in the URL, I've learned long ago that spammers put the search terms there to trick me into clicking on their link. I would expect that at least some of your customers have learned that as well. The description is far more useful in getting someone's attention.

Yes, this happens. But not optimizing a site because others are taking advantage of it is not a good idea.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Okay if there are no other option for free contributions, what does everyone think of MagneticOne's Power URLs?

I dont think they require the "P" field.

If your main concern is how the url looks, then any of them that offer it will work as long they follow oscommerce linking rules. If you focus more on optimizing your site, then that should not be an issue since it makes no difference.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

It doesn't have any code in it to return 302's, only 301's. So if yours are returning 302's, either something else in your shop is causing it or the script you are using to check the return is not checking it correctly. Some sites return the header twice and if only the first one is checked, the result may be wrong.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons