• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Patch OSC 2.2RC2a update PHP 5.3 and STS

paguilar

Hello,

The webserver where I have two OSC online carts, had its PHP version updated into version 5.3.

With this some issues started to appear in this carts. In one of them I installed the referred patch and all went well but with the second one things are getting problematic.

After the update with the Patch it started to give errors concerning the STS 4.1 template system.

Now it gives the following error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function image() on a non-object in /catalog/includes/functions/html_output.php on line 78

Line 78 shows this:

$sts->image($src); // Take image from template folder if exists.

If I comment on this line it passes on to line 129 of the same file, also regarding the STS function. After this, the online store starts to appear with OSC's initial layout.

I'd appreciate some insight on this subject. If anyone already faced this and has any suggestion on to solve it.

Thanks in advance.

Pedro Aguilar

@@paguilar

Unfortunately, STS / BTS was discontinued with the introduction of osCommerce v2.3.x and support has steadily ceased since then. However, you should be able to correct any PHP 5.3 deprecated function errors using THIS website as a guide.

As a side note, you should consider updating your out-dated sites to the latest stable version as PHP 5.4 approaches, you will find yourself with even more problems.

Chris

@@paguilar

Unfortunately, STS / BTS was discontinued with the introduction of osCommerce v2.3.x and support has steadily ceased since then. However, you should be able to correct any PHP 5.3 deprecated function errors using THIS website as a guide.

As a side note, you should consider updating your out-dated sites to the latest stable version as PHP 5.4 approaches, you will find yourself with even more problems.

Chris

Thank you very much for your reply and advice

The website in question is 1 year and half and I was trying to avoid the upgrade scenario. Back then we ended up using 2.2 because some of the add-ons needed only existed for that version and not for the 2.3.x.

We used:

- Separate price per client

- Prices only for logged in users

- Client registration by Admin only

By what I can see now, they are all available for 2.3.x.

Now, I ask is there an easy way of upgrading from OSC 2.2 into 2.3.x ?

Thanks for your attention.

Best regards,

Pedro Aguilar

@@paguilar

You will have to upgrade to 2.3.0 then, 2.3.1 then 2.3.2 then 2.3.3 if you follow the upgrade path but then you would end up with a 'frankenstore' hybrid. Again, I suggest creating a new store using v2.3.3

Chris

@@paguilar

You will have to upgrade to 2.3.0 then, 2.3.1 then 2.3.2 then 2.3.3 if you follow the upgrade path but then you would end up with a 'frankenstore' hybrid. Again, I suggest creating a new store using v2.3.3

Chris

Chris,

That would also mean "recreating the DB" from the start? Or could I import the DB with a fresh install?

Here's the problem, the store has over 500 products!

Thanks once again,

Pedro Again

Edited by paguilar

The DB can be changed to work with a 2.3 shop. Though I think you would be better off upgrading your version of STS, which may fix the problem you are having. Upgrading to 2.3, you will find, is a very big job. And, at some point, 2.4 will be released, which won't be compatible, yet again. It is just a never ending hole and you will be starting over each time. It would be better, from a security viewpoint, to upgrade, but 2.2 shops can be made secure too, if that is an issue.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks Jack,

After reading your post I got digging again and found the solution.

It's described here at the bottom of the thread:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=253442

How to Fix:

Search in catalog/includes/application_top.php

// initialize the message stack for output messages
require(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'message_stack.php');
$messageStack = new messageStack;

Then write the following code above this and it should be like this:

// START STS 4.5
 require (DIR_WS_CLASSES.'sts.php');
 $sts= new sts();
 $sts->start_capture();