• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New Drum Tuition Course Store Opening with OSC

britchops

Hi All

My new store Britchops Drum Tuition @ www.britchops.co.uk is opening this weekend. It uses OSC to allow customers to pay for, then download, the Britchops Foundation Drum Course that I have written.

If there are any improvements that you think are needed or recommended I would appreciate your input.

Many thanks

TJ @ britchops

Britchops Shop: www.britchops.co.uk/shop1/index.php

The shop is standard osCommerce. What area do you require feedback on?

I believe that a shop that is standard osCommerce will not convey the right message to your potential buyers.

If you spend your money or your time on this shop now, that investment will prove useful, I'd suggest.

@@britchops

The site is NOT set up correctly.

1) Turn OFF "Use search engine safe URL's" from the admin area under configuration.

2) Correct the session settings and verify your cookie settings, the OSCID should not remain in the URL after a couple of clicks.

3) Take some time to make the site look respectable and professional.

4) I suggest changing your download option from YES to offer the 'lesson' in Word and PDF format.

5) Remove the standard banner from the bottom of the site, you do this from the admin area. Upload something to advertise a link to your main site or something relevant to your products.

Chris

Thanks guys I appreciate your input.

Chris how do i correct the session and cookie settings? Do I 'Force Cookie Use' in Config/Sessions admin? What else? I've turned off the Use safe search engine URL's setting.

Cheers

TJ

fyi:

My Admin Sessions settings are:

Session Directory: /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/catalog/includes/work/

Force Cookie Use True

Check SSL Session ID False

Check User Agent False

Check IP Address False

Prevent Spider Sessions True

Recreate Session True

configure.php settings are:

define('HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');

define('HTTPS_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');

define('HTTP_COOKIE_PATH', '/shop1/');

define('HTTPS_COOKIE_PATH', '/shop1/');

define('STORE_SESSIONS', 'mysql');

How am I doing?

Cheers

TJ

@@britchops

Change:

Force Cookie use to FALSE

Change this in the /includes/configure.php file

to

define('HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN', 'http://www.britchops.co.uk');

define('HTTPS_COOKIE_DOMAIN', 'https://www.britchops.co.uk');

define('HTTP_COOKIE_PATH', 'www.britchops.co.uk');

define('HTTPS_COOKIE_PATH', 'www.britchops.co.uk');

Chris

After you recent flurry of posts on these forums, i was expecting to see something different, something vibrant and something new. Wow, what a disapointment. A standard osc store with a copy button on the product page. You could have at least made it look something like your homepage on your website.

Your one product image does not seem right. I click on the image to enlarge and it comes up the same size. Why have the facility to enlarge an image and not do it. Also on your product page, the image should be to the right of the page, and it seems to be floating in the middle, restricting the width of the page. Thats definately not right.

I hope you are going to be adding more new products, because at the moment it is a waste of time having a store for one product, that is not one click deep. Its in a category and a subcategory.

Apart from what has already been mentioned, there are also some mistakes in your information pages. Please at the minimum use a spell checker.

Not a lot else to say really, but going live with something like that will do your business no good at all. Take a step back, and look objectively at your site. Would you buy from a store like yours. If the answerr is yes, leave it as it is, and good luck. Now go and look at your competitors websites, and apply the same thing, would you buy from them. Whilst their sites will be more established, i bet you would buy from them. Look to see why you would, and apply something similar to your store, without copying.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Thanks guys for your input. Even Steve, I see what you mean. This is basic as I am a basic user/high end user - not a designer. All advice appreciated. All points taken on board. So what I have created SO FAR is my best effort to date. I will get on to my web designer and we'll come up with a much more effective site soon.

Chris, I have made the cookie path changes and the OSCID's are back (they disappeared when Force Cookie was true??). What say you?

Also I'd like to offer the Course in Word as well as PDF, but there are no security settings to stop DRM violations in Word. They only exist in PDF security settings (no copying, editing etc). But I'll think about it some more...

Appreciated,

TJ

After looking through pages of confused cookie settings in the forum archives I found vger's explanation on 'no ssl and full ssl' settings that say if it doesn't work you end up on the cookie usage page. Well mine works with Cookie Forced Use set to True! Would you guys agree with this? No OSCID's and the site works fine.

Any alternative solutions just in case I'm wrong?

Thanks again for your time and help.

TJ

Scrub what I said about the Cookies - it DOESN'T work, I get the Cookie Usage page. So I'm back to square one. How do I get rid of the OSCsIDs in the URL address bar? Do I have to get rid of them?

Thanks

TJ

It seems my original settings work fine:

...!

You live and learn!!

TJ

You can try these settings in: shop1/ includes/configure.php

define('HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '.britchops.co.uk');

define('HTTPS_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '.britchops.co.uk');

Thanks but it would seem that these are the correct settings as the OSCsID's have disappeared:

Could you verify that these are correct ( or NOT!)?

Thanks

TJ

leaving the cookie domain empty will work on some set-ups, adding it as in the example i posted above should work for the rest.

NOTE: for others reading this, they should of-course change the domain and the paths to the ones used at their hosting...

Archived