• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrading from 2.2-MS1 to 2.3.3

Hi guys,

I am undertaking a redesign job for a customer wanting to spruce up their website. As part of this, I need to upgrade the software they are using.

I would like to know, how difficult is it? Are there any things I should know about beforehand? I have put the old systems database into the new software, and there don't seem to be many errors, but I don't want to chance it and assume there will be none.

I am also having trouble logging into the admin account, it won't let me and keeps telling me to wait five minutes.

I am very familiar with SQL and PHP, so sorting it out shouldn't be a problem, once I know what I have to do.

I did see a thread from a couple of months ago, but I thought it best to start a new thread instead of revive a dead one.

Cheers for any help guys.

Jrdn

@@jrdnhannah

Since there is no upgrade path from MS1 to v2.3.3, I assume you downloaded and installed v2.3.3 and then integrated the database. The admin password AND customer passwords more than likely WILL NOT WORK in the newer version as security updates have altered how passwords are saved and checked. So, you won't be able to use existing admin or customer information.

So, create your new layout, integrate the categories and products and you should be ready to go.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to high-jack, but OP states "I have put the old systems database into the new software". Is this recommended? Are there no schema changes between 2.2 and 2.3.3? If there are changes, is there a list of tables that should have their data migrated?

Regards,

Rob

You would have to list the schemas for both versions, and either edit the .sql file to conform, or make sure there are reasonable defaults for everything (if missing). AFAIK it's just a few items added to tables (and maybe a new table or two), not a major restructuring at any point. I have no experience with 2.2 MS1 (that is ancient!), so it's up to you to understand the old and new databases, and what the easiest/best path is to get your old data into the new database. Passwords might be a problem if hashing was added or changed, so you might need to generate new passwords in the new system and preserve those passwords when bringing in the old data. Like Chris said, it will take some thinking by someone reasonably experienced in SQL and maybe PHP.

• 1 month later...

You need to understand tables and their usage between the two versions. Fortunately, most of the tables have not changed all that much. Then you have to map from the old schema to the new one (fields to add or change, default values, etc.). Update the CREATE TABLE statements in the .sql (backup), or just cut and paste in from the new database. Finally, you have to go through all the data (.sql backup file) and modify the INSERT INTO statements to add new columns, new tables, etc. per the schema changes. That last part is the biggest, but most mechanical, task. You end up with an .sql (backup) file of the 2.3.3 database schema (and your old store's data) that you can use to replace the default 2.3.3 database via a restore.

You need to understand tables and their usage between the two versions. Fortunately, most of the tables have not changed all that much. Then you have to map from the old schema to the new one (fields to add or change, default values, etc.). Update the CREATE TABLE statements in the .sql (backup), or just cut and paste in from the new database. Finally, you have to go through all the data (.sql backup file) and modify the INSERT INTO statements to add new columns, new tables, etc. per the schema changes. That last part is the biggest, but most mechanical, task. You end up with an .sql (backup) file of the 2.3.3 database schema (and your old store's data) that you can use to replace the default 2.3.3 database via a restore.

thank you for your help

but is there any easier way to add customers and their history from old db 2.2 to new one 2.3? maybe a contribution?

I am not the best sql writer..

I don't know of any way to do this without having a firm understanding of SQL. What's in the database (the old schema) will depend on the exact version of the old osC, as well as any add-ons used that might have modified the tables. That's my understanding for why there isn't a tool to convert one schema to another. I would think that someone could write a PHP script to take the old database backup and the new one, and at least partially do the conversion (and tell the user where manual intervention would be needed). You would end up with a modified old backup (.sql file) that could be used to regenerate the old data under the new store. Or, the utility could read in the old database backup and directly modify and insert the data. There are all sorts of possibilities.

• 4 weeks later...

So this is a service to move you from one cart to another? You would probably be much better off installing 2.3.3 and migrating a copy (.sql backup) of the database. If you'd rather migrate the 2.2 to 2.3.3 because you have a lot of add-ons and custom coding, you're going to pay a fortune to these guys (or in your own time) to do the job (and you end up with a frankenstore). Try a pure 2.3.3 with your old data and see if you need to add anything to it.

I used sqldiff tool to compare my MS2 db with the standard installed 2.3.3

I restored a live copy into a test system and modified it keeping track of the sql changes I executed until I got it funnctioning with the standard 2.3.3 php code.

I altered my existing tables, adding fields where required, filling in defaults, changing field lengths in a few places if I remember well.

The database scheme changes are all easy to do, the most tricky part for me was merging the configuration and configuration group tables contents.

Once I was happy with it and ready to move everything over to production, I only needed to execute the same statements on my live database

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Archived