Latest News: (loading..)
Harald Ponce de Leon

v2.4 Cleanup and Minimum PHP Requirement

Hi All..

Even though our future is based on the new v3.0 framework, we are not yet finished with the v2.3 codebase and would like to push out a cleaned up v2.4 version before saying auf wiedersehen to v2.x.

It is a feat that v2.3.3 runs from PHP 4.0 to PHP 5.4.x - if we had not removed the PHP 3 compatibility layer in v2.3.0 than I'm sure v2.3.3 would still run fine under PHP 3 as well.

PHP 4.x is ancient history though and PHP have discontinued supporting it on the 31st December 2007.

This means for the v2.4 release, the minimum PHP version requirement would have to be at least 5.0 but that too is even older than the last PHP 4 release, so a valid candidate could be PHP 5.3.

We are not going to optimize the release for PHP 5.3 (eg, namespaces), just clean up and remove legacy code from the codebase. (Optimizing the code would require a rewrite and we're doing that already in v3.0.)

The PHP 5.3 minimum requirement would be more interesting to add-on developers that know their add-ons would work with v2.4/PHP5.3. A majority of the add-ons are already developed with PHP 5.x in mind - having a known PHP minimum requirement would improve the quality of the add-ons (the reason not to have PHP 5.2 as a requirement).

Who would use v2.4? This release would be of most interest to new users, not existing users. v3.1, the first user-ready release of the new v3.0 framework, is still a long way away so new users can choose from v2.3 or v2.4.

Due to the code changes involved existing v2.3 add-ons will not work with v2.4, and an upgrade guide from v2.3 to v2.4 will not be provided however it will be possible to use an existing database with v2.4.

Our release strategy would be:

v2.3.x - bug fixes

v2.4.x - cleaned up release, more modular, minor new features (PHP 5.3 minimum requirement)

v3.0.x - development release of new framework

v3.1.x - user ready release (possibly PHP 5.4 minimum requirement)

Existing users do not have to update to v2.4 as v2.3 will still be supported with bug fixes.

v3.1 will allow migrations from v2.3 and v2.4.

Please provide your thoughts on v2.4 and the minimum PHP requirement - thanks!

:heart:, osCommerce

I think 5.3 is the only sensible conclusion that you could come to .. it is stable .. it's not bleeding edge in any way .. it's readily available on all hosts and .. let's face it anything less would be offering insecurity due to lack of support for the PHP version ( 5.2 unsorported since August 2011 ).

It's also fitting I think for the final version to, at last, lose support for ancient versions, backwards compatibility in PHP used to be good thing of course .. not now.

I can only agree with Rob. 5.3 would be the best fit scenario for 2.4

This is a signature that appears on all my posts.  
IF YOU MAKE A POST REQUESTING HELP...please state the exact version
of osCommerce that you are using. THANKS

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

In my opinion. Don't develop 2.4 but start your focus on V3.1

I disagree, osCommerce has competitors and those competitors have current working versions that are regularly updated.

The current working version is 2.X which should be treated and updated/developed as such until such time as 3.1 is a fully working shop.

Any other route could potentially kill of the live user base before 3.1 is a release version.

I agree with Robert. It would be wrong not to develop version 2xxx. Oscommerce must keep ahead of the competition if it is to suceed. For many years it was not developed and got a really bad reputation, now it has that good reputation back, it must keep progressing. Version 3 will be a big step forward, but that is years away at oscommerce speed, so version 2xxx must be updated, and must remain secure, and musy try to remain at the fore of ecommerce software.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Before installing the official version of oscommerce first look at a responsive version here

It's very easy to over complicate what are simple things in life

A real one page checkout with guest checkout would be competitive...

The standard checkout process are making me sick..

The process is oke. But could be shorter (change adres is not very clear). And I think there should be an option for user to checkout without login or checkout with login.

the best checkout I ever came across is here

http://www.blurayspelershop.nl

It has the delivery next to the shopping cart and in the next screen you choose login/create account or checkout without account. It is very very clear

To get back to the reason for the thread 5.3 seems like a good minimum for new releases.

This path is going to make thing complicated for the vast majority of OSC users to follow, but OK for anyone on 2.3.1 or later.

"2.3.3 add-ons will not work for 2.3.4" is going to put a small glitch on the way and I am not sure that it will be of any benefit.

The 2.2 sites are being left to fend for themselves and will be forced make their site 5.3 compatible or re-create their shop in a later version.

There is no official OSC upgrade guide to upgrade to 5.3, just some useful threads and 1 contribution so at some stage there are going to be thousands if not hundreds of thousands shops that will need working on as hosts upgrade their servers to run newer versions of php.

Might be better trying to ease their migration pain rather than put out 2.3.4.

Cheers

G

Edited by geoffreywalton

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

To get back to the reason for the thread 5.3 seems like a good minimum for new releases.

This path is going to make thing complicated for the vast majority of OSC users to follow, but OK for anyone on 2.3.1 or later.

"2.3.3 add-ons will not work for 2.3.4" is going to put a small glitch on the way and I am not sure that it will be of any benefit.

The 2.2 sites are being left to fend for themselves and will be forced make their site 5.3 compatible or re-create their shop in a later version.

There is no official OSC upgrade guide to upgrade to 5.3, just some useful threads and 1 contribution so at some stage there are going to be thousands if not hundreds of thousands shops that will need working on as hosts upgrade their servers to run newer versions of php.

Might be better trying to ease their migration pain rather than put out 2.3.4.

Cheers

G

Simple solution..make an easy to use export/import tool for "migrating' important info (customers,orders,products,categories) from a 2.2 shop to a 2.3+ shop....

This can even be made as an add-on, by a "concerned" guy like yourself........

Who says that 2.3.3 addons won't work with 2.3.4 ?

233 and 234 are basically the same thing.

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

Who am I to disagree with HPD :-)

Due to the code changes involved existing v2.3 add-ons will not work with v2.4, and an upgrade guide from v2.3 to v2.4 will not be provided however it will be possible to use an existing database with v2.4.

Cheers

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

Simple solution..make an easy to use export/import tool for "migrating' important info (customers,orders,products,categories) from a 2.2 shop to a 2.3+ shop....

This can even be made as an add-on, by a "concerned" guy like yourself........

Is this so simple?

How many extra pictures modules are there? Can you export this with one migration module?

If you cant catch all the pictures there is a massive job to put it in manually..

Edited by sportstolen

Well, I am not disagreeing with what HPDL is saying.

I am saying however, that 2.3.4 is NOT 2.4

2.3.4 and 2.3.3 are almost exactly the same as each other.

Don't get 2.3.4 and 2.4 mixed up ;)

Whoops, well spotted on the typo.

Feel suitably chastised :-)

Cheers

G

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

I too get the numbering mixed up. We need to give them nicknames like wordpress do maybe ?

I too get the numbering mixed up. We need to give them nicknames like wordpress do maybe ?

Sure thing is, that version 3 is the "Hawaii version" :)