• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Problem with PHP4 to PHP5.3

HelpMeNow

I need help. I have the older version of OsCommerce (2.2rc2a) with PHP4.3 and godaddy abruptly stopped supporting it which affected the website.

Can someone help and/or guide me in the best way to upgrade OsCommerce manually because when they stopped supporting 4.3, that eliminated my opportunity to upgrade OsCommerce manually in Godaddy.

The new error message that I'm getting is

Deprecated: Function session_is_registered() is deprecated that is located in c

catalog/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 111

Here is the website - www.americanorganizer.com.br

Also, because of this problem, it created a mess with the website.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike

@@HelpMeNow

THIS contribution will assist you in updating the core files to be PHP 5.3 compatible. Any add ons that you have installed that contain deprecated functions will need to be updated as well.

Chris

I too am having the same problem. I tried this contribution and installed the changes and my site was still not working correctly. Then I looked at this post and it's recommended changes. The two (this contrib and github) are not similiar in their changes! It's very confusing what is what and which is right. Neither changes put my store back on track. I'm getting constant session id recreations on every click.

Hi Steve, I'm not getting any errors displayed. It's that the store won't let you log in, you try to sign in and the login page just refreshes and doesn't allow you to log in or it takes you to the index.php page without logging you in. You add items to the cart and click the shopping cart and the cart shows empty. Just a lot of things not working since I did the upgrades according to github. You would have to see the store to see the problems.

To see errors change this line in includes/application_top.php

error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE);

to

error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_STRICT);

You can also do the same to the admin includes/application_top.

You could also try validating your site at http://validator.w3.org/

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Thanks Steve, I added the error reporting and no errors reported. I emailed my hosting company and told them the issue and they looked at it and they did something (what I don't know, they didn't say in the email) and now everything seems to be working fine now.

Yes, Ange, it's a issue with PHP configuration on the server. Was true in my case. Because I did all the upgrade changes for PHP5 and rechecked the changes to make sure all was correct and still had problems.

I too am on Godaddy and my heavily modified osc 2.2 site broke yesterday (www . e-lectronics . net). I was getting all the deprecated errors on both the storefront and admin side. I did some google searching and found the Add-on OSC V2.2 RC2a PHP 5.3 Compatible Files as mentioned above which made my site veiwable again but it is still broken. All links lead back to the home page and none of the products can be found. From the admin site, almost nothing is not available, I'm pretty much crippled from that end at this time.

I logged in to Godaddy and found that an osC update was pending, it said I could schedule the update to run automatically but would likely need to be done manually if I have modifications which I do. The catch is, they didn't offer any information regarding what the manual update would be, is it the same as the v2.2 RC2a PHP 5.3 contribution, I don't know? I sent a support ticket a few minutes ago and hopefully they can provide some insight.

I'm suspecting there may be some database updates required.

I've considered just starting a new installation with a nicer template (I like what I saw at mindsparx.org/) but I have 5 years of tayloring on my current installation that I reley on such as USPS, PayPal, Invoicing, scrolling product header, purchase without account and about 20 others...

Here's an example of what I'm seeing on my admin side

Warning: include(/home/content/x/x/x/html/admin/includes/languages/english) [function.include]:
failed to open stream: Success in /home/content/x/x/x/html/admin/includes/application_top.php on line 133

And one reason I suspect I may need some database related updating is that my headers on the admin side are not showing the values, they show the table titles, this is what I see across the top of my Whos Online page:

TABLE_HEADING_ONLINE TABLE_HEADING_FULL_NAME TABLE_HEADING_IP_ADDRESS TABLE_HEADING_ENTRY_TIME TABLE_HEADING_LAST_CLICK TABLE_HEADING_LAST_PAGE_URL  TABLE_HEADING_USER_SESSION  TABLE_HEADING_HTTP_REFERER

If anyone knows about the 'recent?' Godaddy osC updates and how it effects osC 2.2 please share your insights.

Thank you,

Mark

Yikes! I enabled the strict error logging and all I see is errors, the whole page is flooded with Notice and Warning, is that how it's supposed to look? I'm guessing some reference was recently

broken, a database update is needed or something. Everything has been working fine for the past few years and all the sudden it broke without any changes on my end.

This is the notice in my Godaddy admin Panel

osCommerce Update Required

Step 1

Patch install details

Step 2

Schedule patch

Step 3

Patch install summary

Update for osCommerce:

To install this update, we'll:

1) Backup the database,

2) Install the patch, and

3) Confirm the installation is successful

Please note that the update process is designed to work with standard versions of the application. If you have plugins installed, or any other modifications to the application, the automated process might fail. In that case, we suggest that you perform a manual update.

If the installation, for some reason, does not go smoothly, you'll have the option to restore the application files and database to their current state.

You'll have to ask GoDaddy what this patch is for. Is it an upgrade to 2.3.something, or is it osC's PHP 5.3 compatibility patch, or something else? If you make a file and database backup and store it away someplace safe, you could try their patch. If it goes terribly wrong, you can restore your files and database to where they were before.

If you have any add-ons installed, you will probably have to manually fix them for PHP 5.3. A general purpose patch probably only fixes the base code installation. There is also the possibility that GoDaddy's patch may not place nice with your own attempt using the osC add-on to make your site PHP 5.3 compatible.

In general, it's best not to rely on "single button" installs and updates from your host, as you'll never be quite sure what you have or what they're doing. It's better to get the installation package from osC and manually install it, as well as any patches/add-ons, so you always know exactly what you have.

I have just ran in to the same problem but I'm at 2.3.1. My admin comes up but the site does not. GoDaddy has update my host with php 5.3 and my site went down. They told me that I need to update osc to run under php5. They no longer support php4.

Cris is the above down load file you tagged on your first response (oscommerce v2.2rc2a php 5.3 compatibility file) work for me?

I contacted godaddy and they reported that they found issues and made changes; they said that my site is working fine from their end. I see absolutely no changes, my site is still broken, I've tried multiple machines, multiple browsers, cleared cache and cookies... but they still say there's nothing wrong :(

I contacted godaddy and they reported that they found issues and made changes; they said that my site is working fine from their end. I see absolutely no changes, my site is still broken, I've tried multiple machines, multiple browsers, cleared cache and cookies... but they still say there's nothing wrong :(

Have you considered manually downgrading your PHP version on GoDaddy from 5.3 to 5.2? Granted this isn't the ideal "fix" because you should be manually updating code for your website for 5.3+ but it just might make your site functional for the time being.

Also, while on your webstore I noticed the following errors:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare unionSplit::$page_number in /home/content/m/a/r/markmcatee/html/includes/classes/union_split_page_results.php on line 34

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/content/m/a/r/markmcatee/html/includes/classes/seo.class.php on line 1197

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/m/a/r/markmcatee/html/includes/classes/seo.class.php:1197) in /home/content/m/a/r/markmcatee/html/includes/classes/seo.class.php on line 1893

Could be that some add-ons on your store aren't functional with the 5.3 upgrade that you'll need to take a look at.

Yikes! I enabled the strict error logging and all I see is errors, the whole page is flooded with Notice and Warning, is that how it's supposed to look? I'm guessing some reference was recently

broken, a database update is needed or something. Everything has been working fine for the past few years and all the sudden it broke without any changes on my end.

If your site is showing errors you do need to get rid of them. Read the errors one at a time, and work your way through them all. You may also have errors showing in your sites error logs. Have a look at them and see. There may be two error log files, one in your store root, and one in the admin folder.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Archived