• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to add admin login to old oscommerce

I am currently upgrading two very old Oscommerce sites, 2.2ms2 which had no admin login or index tool summary modules included. All the major security patches have been included as time goes on, but it was felt time to do a full update as much as possible.

When we updated to RC1 and RC2 some time ago, the admin login was not included, as it points out in the upgrade guide.

"Please note that the following changes are only the recommended changes to make and does not include the new Administration Tool login routine or the Administration Tool index page summary modules that are available with new installations"

I am now going through the 2.3 upgrade guide.php and a lot of reference is made to the login and security modules, so I think it would be a good idea to upgrade and include these now. But i cant find reference or guides on how to add or include them in an old site, with so many additions to the site, I tried a diff but it wasnt helpful

Anyone know of a guide to add the login and summary modules to an old 2.2 site (which in all other aspects has been updated to 2.3).

Incidently the admin was secured originally with htaccess protection.

cheers

@@hotnuts21

I suggest it's time to create a new store with v2.3.2 and delete that out-dated hybrid. In the meantime you can add .htaccess protection for the admin area to help secure it.

Chris

@@DunWeb

Although I agree in principle the store has so many addons and a number of custom enhancements, that created a new store would be more work than I guess the owner wants, also the retemplating styling of it will be another load of work as these sites had major restyling so a lot of that work would need to be tempted, although that also needs a fresher look :-)

The admin is secured with .htaccess and always has been and the admin directory was renamed a long time ago too :-)

For now the store owner just wants it to run on a php 5.3 server and be as secure as we can get it. Some of the modifications that were added, were not code commented either, so finding them to update them is a pain!!

@@hotnuts21

The best way to do that then, is to copy the site and run it locally using PHP 5.3 and SQL 5.x. You will need update all deprecated code and change the database queries to be compatible with the newer server software.

GOOD LUCK ! I say that, because you are looking at weeks of work. It is FAR EASIER to create a new store than what you want to do.

Chris

Archived