• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

no .htaccess file ?

WFS

Hi all,

I am using version 2.2 and currently configuring a new store, the problem is that I don't appear to have an .htaccess file. I'd like to add a contribution to further protect the site against possible problems but without this file I cannot and I am not sure the site will be ok without it......

Can I simply upload a copy of this file without it affecting certain options on the current site and has anyone else had this problem ? Surely .htaccess is essential, not sure how I ended up without one as the script was installed directly from my hosts control panel.

All advice gratefully received.

The basic script from your host doesn't create one so you can create an empty one and the site will work excatly as at the moment.

Then you can add in the commands as required.

I would recomend you look at the 2 pinned threds in the security forum as you must secure your version from known security holes. There are a couplw of recommended add-ons that add to this file.

HTH

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

@@WFS

Don't know if this will help you, but its worth a try, with my host, when I use their file manager I have to check a box to be able to see .htaccess files, if I don't they are there but not visible, like a hidden file in windows.

ken

Os-commerce v2.3.3

Security Pro v11

Site Monitor

IP Trap

htaccess Protection

Bad Behaviour Block

Year Make Model

Document Manager

X Sell

Star Product

Modular Front Page

Modular Header Tags

1. On Linux/Unix servers, file names beginning with "." are "hidden". You may have to take special actions in your hosting File Manager to see them.
  2. Are you on an Apache server, or IIS? If IIS, it will not have an .htaccess, and will ignore any that you make. If Apache, there should always be an .htaccess in the root (/), even if it's empty. You would need to add an .htaccess file for any other directory you want to use one in.
  3. Why in the world are you starting a new store with osC 2.2? It's terribly obsolete and insecure. You should be using 2.3.2.

Archived