• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[discuss] I am sick of hearing about one page/single page checkout

FWR Media

I have just posted a reply somewhere but I thought it may be discussion(able).

I keep hearing one page checkout this .. essential .. must have .. lose lots of users etc etc. and it astounds me because I think it is all a load of cr@p.

Over many years of history "useability experts" worked out that humans like to take in only so much info at a time.

For me the "one/single page checkout" scenario is creating a problem that was solved maybe hundreds of years ago.

osCommerce checkout is just fine:

1) I have to enter my name address etc to be able to make a purchase.

2) If the shipping address is different I have to enter it to be able to make a purchase.

3) I have to choose a shipping option ( if options exist )

4) I have to choose a payment option ( if options exist )

5) It is law in some countries ( and will be increasingly so ) that there must be a confirmation page before the click to make a purchase.

Now before I go further, I am not talking of the huge company options like Amazon one click .. or PayPal ( user details already saved ) or Google Checkout ( user details already saved ) these are of course great and I e.g. use Amazon one click all the time but this is the domain of huge companies.

What I am talking about here is ridiculous systems where the user STILL has to enter all of those details but it is felt that it should be done on one page .. I say RUBBISH.

I have even seen one page systems where the customer still has to make the same number of clicks but it all happens on one page!!! .. yeah like the user cares whether it's AJAX!!!!

Interested in your thoughts.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the shopper to be guided through in nice bite size chunks of information - it certainly does not seem to impact on my sales having the stock OSC checkout process...

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

I agree with you. In fact the only thing that I would change at all is if you only had one shipping and one payment option to just skip those pages. Other than that I agree on the fact that I would rather go through the entire process rather than stare a a huge form. You have it right that thats how the majority of people think as well. Every site that I do business on that has multiple pages to go through, as long as the pages are loading nearly instantly for me I dont have issues with it.

110% agree with you.

Having been involved with 100s (if not 1000s) of clients over the last 12 years, not one of them can show me efficacy data based on "1 page" or "usual".

There are things that can be done to the usual osC checkout procedure to make it more slick, but adding a 1 page checkout is certainly not one of them.

not one of them can show me efficacy data based on "1 page" or "usual".

@@burt

Tbh Gary I think this whole thing may have been caused by the relatively new web industry "useability experts" ( there you go jack_mcs "one page checkout UE" :) .. sorry couldn't resist ) to my mind they are a lot like the health and safety consultants and SEO wannabees .. charge a lot of money .. are skilled in absolutely nothing .. legal scam.

I am using Nick's Shorter Checkout on the 2.3.1 shops.

Before:

[1] Login >> [2]Create Account >> [3]Create Account Sucess >> [4]Checkout Shipping >> [5]Checkout Payment >> [6]Checkout Confirmation

After:

[1] Create Account/Login >> [2] Checkout Shipping >> [3]Checkout payment >> [4}Checkout Confirmation

It streamlines things yet I believe addresses Rob's points as well.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

I was discussing the checkout process .. not login/create account

The whole "One Page Checkout" hype has taken off to the level that many shop owners now feel that if they do not have a one page checkout then they are losing customers by the minute :blink:

The default oscommerce checkout works just fine as it is but can ofcourse be further streamlined and improved.

From experience i prefer a logical "multi page" checkout to most overloaded one page variants.

I was discussing the checkout process .. not login/create account

OK, but my take on this for the most part, you don't get to checkout process without logging in and/or creating an account. That's why I mentioned it.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Good points mentioned, I completely agree it is much better being presented with small amounts of information and content with a step by step guidence rather than a single page.

Find this post helpful? Click the 'Like this' button. :)

I agree absolutely

The default checkout process is just fine.

The best test in such cases is, to let your aunt, or grandfather, or somebody who has no real computer experience to checkout the one and the other way

Small tasks are much easier to understand and give the feeling of "this is done, lets do the next". If you combine this with some friendly and descriptive text (eg decide how you want to pay", "decide how you want to receive the goods" etc), there is nothing else to do

On top, in case there is an error somewhere, say user forgot to select something, it's much easier to figure this out with less tasks on one page

And this lead me to a question to all those "click counters" for the checkout process, how about the "tasks per page" rate? Any "statistics" about how many sales you could loose having too many or too less of them on one page?

Since the create account part has been mentioned already, I would add here the PWA nonsense, that let people create an account to delete it right after. Changes nothing in the user experience but sound "fancy" and becomes and other useless "must"

@@multimixer Good point about the clicks/tasks per page, a point lost on the "one page checkout evangelists".

Re: PWA I think it's a bit of a different matter.

In some countries ( e.g. Denmark ) web users are very reluctant to "create accounts", I don't really understand it but the very idea of "create account" seems to provoke a real negative attitude.

Personally I think that where we of course need their email address, we really don't need to create a password at all and this could simply be the top part of filling in their address.

The only time ( that I can visualise ) that we need the log in to be secure is when/if the user wishes to view their own personal data and order history it is not needed to make an actual valid order.

So a possibility would be: -

If the user clicks on My Account following an order they are presented two options ..

1) Would you like us to email you a link so you can view your data ( the link will be valid for X hours )

2) If you would like to supply a password we can let you see your information online whenever you like!!

In case one only the owner of the email address receives the access and that is fine for a lot of professional systems, can't remember where I saw this but one of the big sites does it this way.

@@multimixer In some countries ( e.g. Denmark ) web users are very reluctant to "create accounts", I don't really understand it but the very idea of "create account" seems to provoke a real negative attitude.

I have to agree. I removed ALL visible signs of Accounts on our site and the reaction of users was immediately positive and we haven't looked back. My customers just don't need them, don't need their order history etc etc. I do save their name and address in an encrypted cookie and that is very useful. I have also been able to delete lots of code!

I would suggest that with v3, an option is given to provide this facility.

Alan

I refered to PWA from the point of the user experience.

All it does is basically to ask the question "do you want the data to be stored", while it gives the impression - to store owners - that they'll improve the crreate account/checkout process in some way

If customer data (like name, address etc) is required, and in most cases it is, then it has to be entered somewhere

If this data will be stored or not, that is an other question. You could add a checkbox for this

If you will call the create account page "create account" or something else, that is also an other question, just change the wording or even the filename

What info exactly the store needs to collect, that is also an other question, you can make fields required or not

If you want to give access to account pages or not, that is also something else

Fact is, that PWA and similar change nothing in what people have to type in to purchase something. It remains the same page where people have to enter their information

Fact is, that PWA and similar change nothing in what people have to type in to purchase something. It remains the same page where people have to enter their information

Very true. In my example however it does change something.

No need for the user to create a password, and this to my mind can be significant.

1) It is actually a pain for customers to create passwords

2) It's a pain to remember passwords

3) Passwords are generally insecure because most users use the same ones everywhere ( because of 2) )

4) Password forgotten is all too often used, is a complex system for basic users and could be iradicated.

OpenId solves this to a point but not everyone has an OpenId account and I don't even think this is necessary as there is no need for security unless the user wishes to see their own personal details and that can be sent as a link via email limited to a time scale.

Is an interesting read.

Very interesting.

All those discussed apps however require a form of security so the topic is quite complex.

Whereas the action of buying from a shop requires zero log in security so it is far simpler.

It could be said that a person of evil intent could log in as a guessed password and change the billing or shipping address to something unwanted/nasty but if you don't input to database until a successful purchase then they would be a very bankrupt hacker.

I can understand people feeling that checkout should be a single page. Customers get nervous if there's no clear information on how far (how many pages) a checkout process is going to go. Page one, fine. Page two, uh, OK. Page three... when is this thing going to end???? If they can see that there will be 4 pages and they are on 3, and each page is reasonably short and clear, there is no problem. Customers also get concerned about what kind of information they're going to be asked to give. If the navigation indicator can hint at what's going to be asked (in page titles), that's reassuring. Of course, you need to reduce the amount of information collected to the minimum necessary to do the job (do you really need marketing information like how many children they have?).

While giving all the checkout forms and information on one page is good in that a customer can see everything together, you have to be careful that you don't overload them with information. A page that's 5 or 6 screens long may just be too overwhelming to some customers, and result in their bailing out.

One suggestion above was that if only one shipping method is offered, that should be skipped. I disagree. Customers want reassurance that they didn't miss anything and they know how the purchase will be shipped. If you say nothing about shipping, they may get nervous that something was missed (or they're being charged too much for shipping) and they're more likely to bail. Same thing for payment methods.

In summary, a multi-page checkout works if the navigation lets customers know how long this is going to be and where they are in the process, and each page is nicely self-contained (don't need to remember information from page to page). A single-page checkout works unless the amount of information is so large or the forms are so complex that a customer can get lost.

A single-page checkout works unless the amount of information is so large or the forms are so complex that a customer can get lost.

This is where I disagree.

On this single page you have to: -

Choose a shipping method

Choose a shipping address

Choose a payment method

Choose a payment address

Clearly this should be done on two pages, on the shipping page you are entering shipping/delivery data on the payment page billing address and payment choice, total clarity.

Even a one page checkout must have a confirmation page allowing the customer a final chance to check/edit all details before actually paying therefore all this one page checkout thing is doing is amalgamating the shipping and payment pages.

Nope doesn't make sense, best left as it is.

shipping>payment>confirmation>pay

Try as you may there's no shorter, better, clearer process.

I am 100% sure that in some countries, a one page checkout is deemed illegal.

It has to be a minimum 2 steps; oPC + confirmation page

I am not 100% with the idea that the existing checkout system is as good it could be.

I'd very much like to see some changes made, I might introduce into my github, I do have some ideas.

Hi

we have 75,72% conversion rate in 4 step checkout process in the last one year. So it goes better. Why change it?

(g.analitics)

2009 - 65,38%

2010 - 73,67%

2011 - 75,72%

The shipping and the checkout are the most important for us. (10% left shipping page, 5% left payment and 10% left checkout page)

We have phisical store so the customers can visiting us to observe the products. Sometimes they left the process chanel and go to the store by personaly. Lot of local customers visit us or call by phone without any registration.

I wonder if somebody has only a clear webstore checkout efficiency.

Regards,

Gergely

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

On the PWA function I have a system that works as follows:

If the customer simply elects to create an account then the password etc is requested.

However if they go to create account from the checkout process they are given the option of having their details saved by way of a check box - if they say no then the address etc is still saved as I need this for warranty etc. if they select to have their details saved they are emailed a random password.

I think the above changes were part of anti-hacker account mods by Spooks.

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

However if they go to create account from the checkout process they are given the option of having their details saved by way of a check box

Heather this is what I am talkikng about when I talk about complexity .. once a potential customer is in the checkout process you want them to buy .. period .. redirecting them at this stage is a recipe for failure.

- if they say no then the address etc is still saved as I need this for warranty etc. if they select to have their details saved they are emailed a random password.

I think the above changes were part of anti-hacker account mods by Spooks.

Their address is their major details so they have created an account .. they'l never use the emailed password .. it'll get deleted amongst the spam and you'll end up with a ton of "pasword forgotten" to deal with.

whats the best solution to this?

im trying to emulate the shopping cart from this website

http://www.style369.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TopCategoriesDisplay?storeId=13054&catalogId=33555

it has create account, login.

but it doesnt have a guest account

but the checkout is in 4 steps, sign, delivery details, payment details, and thank you page.

Heather this is what I am talkikng about when I talk about complexity .. once a potential customer is in the checkout process you want them to buy .. period .. redirecting them at this stage is a recipe for failure.

Their address is their major details so they have created an account .. they'l never use the emailed password .. it'll get deleted amongst the spam and you'll end up with a ton of "pasword forgotten" to deal with.

i don't understand why people are against having a Purchase without account / guest account facility on their website?

as far as i can tell, a lot of customers just want a fast checkout where they simply enter their address details, enter their billing details and thats it.

they don't want to have their address stored into a permanent account on a webshop, and they don't want to have to remember a password at all.

the pwa feature is therefore perfect and fits the bill. THe oscommerce 3.0 seems to have this already built in by default from what i can see.

Also, it depends on the type of shop you run. If you sell clothes, then if a customer really does want an account, they will sign up for one, especially if they plan on buying regularly from you. If your shop is simply for limited items or stuff that you don't usually buy, then guest checkouts are perfect.

Many customers don't like being tied to accounts and remembering passwords, they don't want to commit to anything, but they will buy one off purchases.

I can think of several web shops i've purchased from that i only did so because they offered a guest checkout. i only bought from them once, so why would i need a password?

Customers like to know that they aren't being tied into an account, and primarilly, its very hard for customers have to their accounts deleted or cancelled from many so called "big" online stores. some stores even refuse to do so for some stupid reason.

Archived