• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

STS Makes Website Performance Slow

djdeuce

I recently had a company redesign one of my shops. They used STS to enable templates on the site. Since they migrated the code my site is extremely slow and taking around 8 seconds to load any page. Does anyone here have a similar experience and some insight how I can fix it? The company refuses to assist me in any way and instead claims it is my host......I have a dedicated server that runs super fast and my other sites run fine.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Harald Ponce de Leon

If they have used STS then they have probably also used one of the older 2.2 oscommerce versions. STS is not compatible with 2.3+

You can try to look around in the support tread for STS there are some tips and tricks there.

Your best bet though is to make a new site with a similar design using the newest stable version, currently 2.3.2

Thanks for your reply. My shop is old and 2.2 yes. It is heavily modified and I can't start over with a new shop. I'm stuck either getting this to work or reverting it back to before the sts. :(

STS shouldn't be causing such a delay. Try turning it off and see if the speed changes. If it doesn't, then something is wrong with your core code. If it doesn't, trying enabling it and change the settings to use the default simple template. If it's speed is good, then they've most likely done something to cause it. Probalby a lot of loading from external sites or large image files.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks for your input Jack! I looked in my admin configuration and there is no new link there for enable / disable STS. Do you know where I can control this from?

admin->Modules->STS, if installed correctly.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks Jack, I turned STS off and the site is still slow. I have no idea what they did to cause this. My site had the same base code of my other sites and they run fast as usual. It isn't the images I don't think because even my admin is super slow and there are no images there. I'm guessing they must have done something to make the site do full table scans on everything but I'm stumped.

@mulitmixer , yeah i have gone back and forth with them about it and the last email I showed them indisputable proof with a graph of the sites performance from google webmaster tools showing the site slow way down after they installed their code. They replied that they have already explained the problem is my server and they will not reply to the question again. Great support huh? :) What is weird is they show me the site on their server and it runs faster. Maybe they are using some kind of caching to pull this off? I checked their other sites they have worked on and all of them are slow.

Well, Jack was right, STS could cause maybe a small delay in pageload, but not something really significant

The fact that your site runs on their server faster than on yours may say something about the server but not about the website speed. An other regular website of you would run even faster on their server.

Fact is that your site became slow after their modifications. Do you have a list of what exactly they did? Did STS got installed by them? I hope you have a documentation

Are you sure that not any external files (eg from their server) get loaded to your site?

Is this the only site that has STS?

Finally, it would help to see the site

Thanks for your reply! No, I have asked them several times for a cheat sheet telling me how the new files work and they have never given me anything. They will not support the performance issue and just tell me it is my server. I've asked them if I need to change any configs on the server and they have not given me any instruction. Yeah this site is the only one using STS. My other site on that server is the same code base this site was when I handed it to this company and it runs fast, no problems. Here is the site with running slow: storageshedsonsale.com

Thanks for your input!

Do you have a backup of the files from before they made any changes? If so, create a test using those. If it also loads slowly, and didn't before, then it would appear to be your server that is at fault. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell if the server is causing the problem or not short of installing your shop on a different server.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I just checked and can't say that it load that slow.

I mean ok, it's not the fastest but also not the 8 sec you said

Images take some time to load, the slider in the header could cause some delay etc

The page comes immediately, the various elements are coming one by one

Thanks for your replies!

Some browsers will work good....google chrome loads fast. Sometimes it also will run okay and other times it will be a super dog. Do a speed test with one of the websites out there that lets you run it and it shows it takes over 13 seconds to load and then 6 seconds to refresh.

I guess I could load my old site to another domain to test it but it was fast before this so I'm sure it will still run fast.

One of the big problems with your site is that the many of the images are actually very large and just scaled down using html code. Basically you are loading an image actual size 400 x 375 pixels for it to display at 140 x100 pixels. Multiply this ten or more times on a apge and this will cause an appreciable slowdown in loading times.

Another problem is that it seems you are on GoDaddy servers which are not quite the best option available. Move your site to a better server company such as Host Gator and you'll get faster page loads in many cases.

Thanks for posting Linjong. It's not the images because my admin also runs super slow and there are no pictures there. I host on a dedicated server with micfo and I only run this site and one other oscommerce site on it. My other site is super fast, no problems. Unless somehow I have to configure something different on the server to run STS I don't think that would be the problem. Does STS maybe make the site to full table scans or something? Another wierd thing with the site is that it will run fast on occasions which would make me think it is the server but that wouldn't make any sense since my other site runs fast at all times and it is also oscommerce.

In my eperience STS creates a 100% slowdown ( twice as slow ). I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Thanks for posting Linjong. It's not the images because my admin also runs super slow and there are no pictures there. I host on a dedicated server with micfo and I only run this site and one other oscommerce site on it. My other site is super fast, no problems. Unless somehow I have to configure something different on the server to run STS I don't think that would be the problem. Does STS maybe make the site to full table scans or something? Another wierd thing with the site is that it will run fast on occasions which would make me think it is the server but that wouldn't make any sense since my other site runs fast at all times and it is also oscommerce.

Since you stated you had turned STS off and it didn't make a difference, that is not the problem. Even if it were, though, it wouldn't cause your admin to slow down. My guess is that your site is being bombarded by search bots. It would explain why the speed varies and why the other site isn't being affected. You'll need to check the servers raw access log to be sure but that is where I would start.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@djdeuce

For a start add the debugger script in my sig KissER that will help you narrow this down.

Try commenting out the code that calls: -

seals.websiteprotection.com .. seems to have a problem.

Generally it's a bad idea to load stuff offsite as if they go down you go down ( dependent on how it is loaded ). If you have to it's best to load these things after the page has loaded.

After further examination that page needs a lot of skilled help to load at a decent speed.

Your site loading makes a ridiculous 112 requests 2MB!

Browsers generally can only handle 6 requests at a time, which is why it is recommened to use CDN. If you use a CDN then this may go up to 12 .. several CDN even more. Then there's the loading of images after the DOM has loaded, there would be loads of "loading" images but at least the page would show up.

When the 6 requests are used up currently everything else is blocked from loading temporarily.

Compression doesn't seem to be working correctly ( chunked transfer-encoding maybe? )

The images are not scaled ( huge problem with so many )

Combine and compress CSS/JS

Minify HTML.

So on and so forth ...

Hi Jack, thanks for replying again! I've been watching the who's online page and there is never more than a few guests there at a time so I don't think it is bots...

They won't show up there which is why I mentioned the server log.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons