• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Customer Purchases Without Creating Account?

StonerArms

@@StonerArms

Use PayPal Express....but, if they don't have an account with your store, they WILL need to create an account with PayPal. Because of fraud, there is no longer such as thing as NO ACCOUNTS when making payments.

Chris

@@StonerArms

Oh yes, I remember you saying that. Which brings up the question, isn't it better to make sure you have all of your customer information because of the products you sell ? In any case, I don't know of any online processors that will process payments without customer information.

Chris

I guess I hadn't really considered that. Any firearms gets shipped to a dealer local to the customer (which is the main reason credit card companies hate the firearms industry) and anything else is really just "machine parts" and free to be sent anywhere in the country.

I am implementing this one in my new stores. This mod is not ready for 2.3.2 due to password changes.

Also, and it may be my installation, but I have not yet been able to use the admin switch to turn off the guest checkout feature.

Other than those 2 problems I encountered I like this add on a lot. One feature that is better tan PWA in my opinion, is a guest can later create an account and all past guest checkouts under that e-mail address will be linked to the new account.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

well i just installed this contribution (i dont know why it says extra fields, but it does PWA anyway)

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8457

onto a fresh install of 2.3.2 / 2.3.3

it seems to work perfectly fine.

its basically all coded into the pages though, so you can't turn it off from admin, but then i think this should be a permanent feature anyway of all ecommerce shops.

It seem to work from what i have seen and tested on localhost default store.

it creates a temporary account, and deletes the user after the order is complete. i checked in phpmyadmin and it indeed deletes the customers so thats a good sign.

And the orders stay in your database, so you can check from your admin, and send those customers any updates to their orders, so thats all good.

im going to test this one a bit more, but overall seems good, and very easy to install compared to that old Autoinstaller script on that PWA contribution here:http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,355/

Also, i don't understand why people are having fits over shops who have this feature implemented?

Simply for "data" collection and personal details safety, whether its personal choice, a lot of customers just want to checkout without having to sign up to any accounts, so this PWA feature is basically perfect.

A customer who is not looking for a long term relationship with your store, but they are interested in buying one product from it should be given that option, not forced into signing up permanently.

A reason why people don't like signing up to accounts is because they usually have no way of cancelling or deleting them. Many alleged "major" shopping sites don't even have a "delete" account feature and don't even bother responding to customer requests. I know this from personal experience, so i see nothing wrong with the customer being able to checkout without an account.

Archived