• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Wrong Doctype?

al3ks

I'm going through the errors on my site using firefox page source option. For some reason there is a problem with my doctype. It says "Almost standards mode doctype. Expected "<!DOCTYPE html> ". What does this mean?

I haven't changed my doctype since first installation of oscommerce 2.3.1

The doctype I have is:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> 

Find this post helpful? Click the 'Like this' button. :)

Probably some CSS validation errors like fractional pixel values or missing unit declarations.

Transitional is after all not quirks mode but "almost" standards mode. In html5 if i'm not mistaken it is "limited quirks mode"

Firefox complains about this but still renders the page correctly. If you change it to what Firefox wants, the W3C validator throws a bunch of errors. I'd leave it the way it came in osC, but it's your choice.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Your DOCTYPE statement looks fine. You must have some invisible garbage ahead of the line, such as a Byte Order Mark, an empty line, or some spaces before the opening <. index.php itself or any file included/required ahead of where DOCTYPE is output could be at fault.

Archived