Latest News: (loading..)
Sign in to follow this  
Harald Ponce de Leon

Meta Robot NoIndex Header Tag Module Proposal for v2.3.3

Hi All..

I just pushed out a proposal header tag module that adds the meta robot noindex tag to a list of specified pages. By default the pages are:

account.php

account_edit.php

account_history.php

account_history_info.php

account_newsletters.php

account_notifications.php

account_password.php

address_book.php

address_book_process.php

checkout_confirmation.php

checkout_payment.php

checkout_payment_address.php

checkout_process.php

checkout_shipping.php

checkout_shipping_address.php

checkout_success.php

cookie_usage.php

create_account.php

create_account_success.php

login.php

logoff.php

password_forgotten.php

password_reset.php

product_reviews_write.php

shopping_cart.php

ssl_check.php

tell_a_friend.php

This would stop search engine robots indexing those pages.

The commit can be seen here:

https://github.com/haraldpdl/oscommerce2/commit/c19e80ef86fbb7f7202434120618a5cadede7c93

Should this be included in v2.3.3 and should it be installed by default?

:heart:, osCommerce

Should this be included in v2.3.3 and should it be installed by default?

Most certainly, very nice!

Not intended to lessen the value of this great core addition, but as an aside, canonical elements would also have been great to handle those nasty listings, or failing that noindex,follow on _GET keys page,sort etc.

Edited by FWR Media

Why not just include a robots.txt file in the distribution?

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

If you know what you're doing that would be the better way to go and the module could be deinstalled. However the robots.txt file needs to be in the root directory and the files correctly specified with relative paths - problems will arise if robots.txt already exists or if the installation is moved to another directory.

The only way to achieve that is through the installation routine. Doing this in a module is more flexible, can be used by both new and existing store owners, and can be safely used with existing robot.txt files.

I think it is a good idea. I suggest adding popup files to the list. Actually, if you're loking for extra work :), it would be nice to list all pages in admin so the shop owner could select which to skip since files get added over time that should not be listed.

Definitely should be in 233 by default. Nice work Harald.

I tinkered with the idea of creating a noindex module for individual products as well some time back,

that also worked very well. But would not be needed in 99.9% of shops I'd suggest.

Gary

Edited by burt

This is a signature that appears on all my posts.  
IF YOU MAKE A POST REQUESTING HELP...please state the exact version
of osCommerce that you are using. THANKS

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

@@Harald Ponce de Leon

I like array edit function. I didnt see this before. It works!

@@Jack_mcs

We have to use @@foxp2 tep_cfg_select_pages() function for it.

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7691

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

@@Gergely

tep_cfg_select_pages() or :

<?php
/*
$Id$
osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
http://www.oscommerce.com
Copyright (c) 2012 osCommerce
Released under the GNU General Public License
*/
 class ht_robot_noindex {
var $code = 'ht_robot_noindex';
var $group = 'header_tags';
var $title;
var $description;
var $sort_order;
var $enabled = false;  
function ht_robot_noindex() {
  $this->title = MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_ROBOT_NOINDEX_TITLE;
  $this->description = MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_ROBOT_NOINDEX_DESCRIPTION;

if ( defined('MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_ROBOT_NOINDEX_STATUS') ) {
	$this->sort_order = MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_ROBOT_NOINDEX_SORT_ORDER;
	$this->enabled = (MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_ROBOT_NOINDEX_STATUS == 'True');
  }
}
function execute() {
  global $PHP_SELF, $oscTemplate;
  if (tep_not_null(MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_ROBOT_NOINDEX_PAGES)) {
	$pages_array = array();
	foreach (explode("\n", MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_ROBOT_NOINDEX_PAGES) as $page) {
	  $page = trim($page);
	  if (!empty($page)) {
		$pages_array[] = $page;
	  }
	}
	if (in_array(basename($PHP_SELF), $pages_array)) {
	  $oscTemplate->addBlock('<meta name="robots" content="noindex" />' . "\n", $this->group);
	}
  }
}
function isEnabled() {
  return $this->enabled;
}
function check() {
  return defined('MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_ROBOT_NOINDEX_STATUS');
}
function install() {
  tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Enable Robot NoIndex Module', 'MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_ROBOT_NOINDEX_STATUS', 'True', 'Do you want to enable the Robot NoIndex module?', '6', '1', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'True\', \'False\'), ', now())");
  tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, use_function, set_function, date_added) values ('Pages', 'MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_ROBOT_NOINDEX_PAGES', '', 'The pages to add the meta robot noindex tag to.', '6', '0', 'ht_robot_noindex_show_pages', 'ht_robot_noindex_edit_pages(', now())");
  tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, date_added) values ('Sort Order', 'MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_ROBOT_NOINDEX_SORT_ORDER', '0', 'Sort order of display. Lowest is displayed first.', '6', '0', now())");
}
function remove() {
  tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " where configuration_key in ('" . implode("', '", $this->keys()) . "')");
}
function keys() {
  return array('MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_ROBOT_NOINDEX_STATUS', 'MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_ROBOT_NOINDEX_PAGES', 'MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_ROBOT_NOINDEX_SORT_ORDER');
}  
 }
 function get_default_pages() {
  return array('account.php',
			   'account_edit.php',
			   'account_history.php',
			   'account_history_info.php',
			   'account_newsletters.php',
			   'account_notifications.php',
			   'account_password.php',
			   'address_book.php',
			   'address_book_process.php',
			   'checkout_confirmation.php',
			   'checkout_payment.php',
			   'checkout_payment_address.php',
			   'checkout_process.php',
			   'checkout_shipping.php',
			   'checkout_shipping_address.php',
			   'checkout_success.php',
			   'cookie_usage.php',
			   'create_account.php',
			   'create_account_success.php',
			   'login.php',
			   'logoff.php',
			   'password_forgotten.php',
			   'password_reset.php',
			   'product_reviews_write.php',
			   'shopping_cart.php',
			   'ssl_check.php',
			   'tell_a_friend.php');
 }

function tep_list_catalog_files() {
$d = dir(DIR_FS_CATALOG);
$result = array();  
$exclude = array('redirect.php', 'popup_search_help.php', 'popup_image.php', 'opensearch.php', 'info_shopping_cart.php', 'download.php', 'checkout_process.php');
  while (false !== ($file = $d->read())) {
	if($file != '.' && $file != '..' && !is_dir($file) && (substr($file, -3, 3) == 'php') && !in_array($file, $exclude)) {
		$result[] = $file;
	}
}  
$d->close();  
return $result;
 }

function ht_robot_noindex_edit_pages($key_value, $key= '') {
$name = ((tep_not_null($key)) ? 'configuration[' . $key . '][]' : 'configuration_value');
$default_array = get_default_pages();
$select_array = tep_list_catalog_files();
$selected_array = explode(';', $key_value);
for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($select_array); $i<$n; $i++) {	  
  $string .= '  <input type="checkbox" name="' . $name . '" value="' . $select_array[$i] . ';"';
	  if(isset($selected_array))
		{					
		foreach($selected_array as $value){		  
		   if ($select_array[$i] == $value) $string .= ' CHECKED';			  
		   }
		foreach($default_array as $default) {
		   if ($select_array[$i] == $default) $string .= ' CHECKED class="default"';			  
		}

}
  $string .= '>' . $select_array[$i] . '<br />';	
  }

return $string;	
}

function ht_robot_noindex_show_pages($text) {	  
	$page = "";	  
	foreach(explode(";", $text) as $file){	  
	$page .= $file . '<br />';
	}
return $page;
 }
?>

and always in catalog\admin\modules.php, replace :

case 'save':
	reset($HTTP_POST_VARS['configuration']);
	while (list($key, $value) = each($HTTP_POST_VARS['configuration'])) {
	  tep_db_query("update " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " set configuration_value = '" . $value . "' where configuration_key = '" . $key . "'");
	}
	tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_MODULES, 'set=' . $set . '&module=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['module']));
	break;

with :

case 'save':
	reset($HTTP_POST_VARS['configuration']);
	while (list($key, $value) = each($HTTP_POST_VARS['configuration'])) {

if((is_array($value)) && (!empty($value))){
	  $pages = '';
	  $count = count($value);
	  for($i=0 ; $i<$count; $i++){
	  $pages = "$pages$value[$i]";
	  tep_db_query("update " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " set configuration_value = '" . $pages . "' where configuration_key = '" . $key . "'");
		   }
	  }

else
	  {		
	  tep_db_query("update " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " set configuration_value = '" . $value . "' where configuration_key = '" . $key . "'");
	  }
	}
	tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_MODULES, 'set=' . $set . '&module=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['module']));
	break;

Edited by foxp2

-------------------

hem .. two mistakes :

to get the default list.

tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, use_function, set_function, date_added) values ('Pages', 'MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_ROBOT_NOINDEX_PAGES', '" . implode(";", get_default_pages()) . "', 'The pages to add the meta robot noindex tag to.', '6', '0', 'ht_robot_noindex_show_pages', 'ht_robot_noindex_edit_pages(', now())");

algorithm comparison :

function ht_robot_noindex_edit_pages($key_value, $key= '') {
   $name = ((tep_not_null($key)) ? 'configuration[' . $key . '][]' : 'configuration_value');
   $default_array = get_default_pages();
   $select_array = tep_list_catalog_files();
   $selected_array = explode(';', $key_value);
   for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($select_array); $i<$n; $i++) {	   
  $string .= '  <input type="checkbox" name="' . $name . '" value="' . $select_array[$i] . ';"';
	  if(isset($selected_array))
	    {					 
	    foreach($selected_array as $value){		   
		   if ($select_array[$i] == $value) $string .= ' CHECKED';
	    foreach($default_array as $default) {		   
	    if ($select_array[$i] == $default && $default == $value) $string .= ' CHECKED';				   
	    }			   
	  }
    }
  $string .= '>' . $select_array[$i] . '<br />';	 
  }
 return $string;	 
   }

-------------------

@@Jack_mcs @@foxp2

Jack, fantastic idea!

Laurent, wow - thanks for the great concept code! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for the fast proposal and late night coding ;)

This has been added to the module with some jQuery magic to fill a hidden configuration field with the selected files - this avoids changes being made to admin/modules.php and keeps API compatibility.

https://github.com/haraldpdl/oscommerce2/commit/cbd0fb5ac7605dab1e8e66fe82619a287576f093

Harald, please do not invoke jQuery for this. jQuery is buggy and from v2.0 and beyond there will be no support for legacy browser like IE<10.

I don't think jQuery ever will be fully debugged.

A regular ecmascript can do what jquery can.

Sara

@@Harald Ponce de Leon : great work ! :thumbsup:

with get_default_pages() method's outside of ht_robot_noindex class, we could separate default files with others files :

$output = '';
   $output .= 'Pages do not need SEO (by default) :<br />';
   foreach (get_default_pages() as $file) {
  $output .= tep_draw_checkbox_field('ht_robot_noindex_file[]', $file, in_array($file, $values_array)) . ' ' . tep_output_string($file) . '<br />';
   }
   $output .= '<br />';   
   $output .= 'Others pages in Catalog :<br />';
   foreach (array_diff($files_array,get_default_pages()) as $file) {
  $output .= tep_draw_checkbox_field('ht_robot_noindex_file[]', $file, in_array($file, $values_array)) . ' ' . tep_output_string($file) . '<br />';
   }

o:)

-------------------

@@Harald Ponce de Leon

@@foxp2

Great work!

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

Harald, please do not invoke jQuery for this. jQuery is buggy and from v2.0 and beyond there will be no support for legacy browser like IE<10.

I don't think jQuery ever will be fully debugged.

A regular ecmascript can do what jquery can.

Sara

How much do I wish there could be a "DISLIKE this" button.

Hi @@Harald Ponce de Leon

Thanks for works! I think need file filters for this problem. There are displayed some none intresting files witch not use template_top.php i.e: redirect.php

Thanks @@foxp2

The file listing is not refered to:

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'template_top.php'); 

Edited by Gergely

osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

I use this code:

function tep_list_catalog_files () {
   $result = array();
   $exclude = array('redirect.php', 'popup_search_help.php', 'popup_image.php', 'opensearch.php', 'info_shopping_cart.php', 'download.php', 'checkout_process.php');
   if ($handle = opendir(DIR_FS_CATALOG)) {
  while ($file = readdir($handle)) {
    if(!is_dir($file) && (strtolower(substr($file, -4, 4)) === ".php") && (!in_array($file ,$exclude)) && (IsTemplateFile(DIR_FS_CATALOG.$file))) {
	  $result[] = $file;
    }
  }
  closedir($handle);
   }
   return $result;
 }

Regards

Jim

I'm with the other Jim.

I just think the unparalleled coding talent that comprises the osC project would be better spent if directed at items that can't be solved with a simple text file. (See, I can suck up to the boss as well as anyone else in this thread).

But obviously we are a minority.

Excuse me while I STFU...

:blush:

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

I'm with the other Jim.

I just think the unparalleled coding talent that comprises the osC project would be better spent if directed at items that can't be solved with a simple text file. (See, I can suck up to the boss as well as anyone else in this thread).

I can certainly understand the feeling.

When one is aware of robots.txt, aware of the syntax of robots.txt ( or you'll kill the site potentially ) then robots.txt is ofc the way to go.

BUT and it's a big but for me .. the vast majority of shop owners do not know .. therefore an "already installed" version of this looks to me a big plus.

Ask the average site owner to actually create syntax of any form and it virtually always goes wrong.

I do think though it would have been far more valuable if e.g you could: -

Select a root file and choose: -

Noindex

Noindex, follow ( if querystring has these keys )

canonical ( params to remove from tep_href_link() ( tep_get_all_get_params() ) )

Edited by FWR Media

Ask the average site owner to actually create syntax of any form and it virtually always goes wrong.

I agree wholeheartedly.

You wouldn't believe how many I've seen rename the admin then "disallow" it in the robots.txt file...

:huh:

Doing it correctly would then entail module control, although having any of the aforementioned pages indexed by search engines isn't the "end of the world" for sites as far as SEO purposes are concerned I wouldn't think.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Doing it correctly would then entail module control

Well yes, but that is exactly what Harald has done. There is no added benefit of excluding in robots.txt against excluding via noindex.

I think people are fixated on it as it is in webmaster tools.

Edited by FWR Media

jQuery is already used in the front-end of osCommerce, integration into the backend was only a matter of time.

Personally I think the many benefits of jQuery far outweigh the few negatives and the no-support for older browsers is a good thing, the whole world would be better off not supporting IE7,IE8 and IE9

Mark Evans

osCommerce Monkey & Lead Guitarist for "Sparky + the Monkeys" (Album on sale in all good record shops)

---------------------------------------

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

Personally I think the many benefits of jQuery far outweigh the few negatives and the no-support for older browsers is a good thing, the whole world would be better off not supporting IE7,IE8 and IE9

Seconded! the world wants standards compliance.

Edited by FWR Media