• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PHP versions, osC versions, where do we go from here?

jhande

osC 2.2 outdated due to PHP 5.3, tons of contributions, table design scheme.

osC 2.3.1 current version, will break with PHP 5.4, few contributions, 960 GS.

osC 2.4 future version, supposedly for PHP 5.4, contributions - who knows, design scheme??

osC 3.0 future version, ????

Problem situation:

Shop owner has a very customized version of 2.2, it broke with PHP 5.3. The owner doesn't want to spend tons of money hiring a programmer (again) to try and fix it. Especially if it's going to break with PHP 5.4.

The shop owner asked if there version of 2.2 could be updated to work wit the current and possibly future versions of PHP.

I told them that I wasn't very knowledgable but recommended upgrading to osC 2.3.1. He was very happy as it is a total designing learning curve nightmare and contributions are limited.

Any ideas what they should do without costing a fortune?

Is there anywhere to check/learn how to update the depreciated code?

Not that this will lead to a job for me, I am just trying to help point someone in the right direction. And yes I mentioned they should join and utilize this forum.

All input will be greatly appreciated.

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

osC 2.3.1 current version, will break with PHP 5.4, few contributions, 960 GS.

5.4? Oh Heck. I am in the process of converting all my stores to 2.3.1 due to the huge number of deprecated errors. i was understanding that 2.3.1 was the last in the 2.2 series and would last me through the current available php version.

I love my oscommerce stores and the support received on these forums, but if the new version does not work with the new php????

Tim

Hey Tim,

I have not spent too much time confirming what the owner mentioned about 2.3.1, 2.4 and PHP. But it did look like it. I would asume that 2.4 might be an easy upgrade from 2.3.1 but who knows.???

Well one thing in my favor is the add ons.

I have waited until now for several reasons, but one has been the add ons. I made my list of required mods and they are all available. That is my list of course. Everybody's list is different.

I am about 3/4 of the way through creating my 'template'. Once that is done, then each store has a few add ons specific to that store and of course styling, text pages etc.

PCI compliance is forcing the upgrade of php and therefore my stores. I looked at some hosted carts, but they do not have the ability to customize like oscommerce.

Tim

Hope I have not hijacked the thread with my ramblings.

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Hi... just to make it more disturbing...

Release of jQuery 2.0 (early 2013, not long after 1.9):

This version will removes support for IE 6/7/8 oddities such as ...

http://blog.jquery.com/2012/06/28/jquery-core-version-1-9-and-beyond/

Which doctype is the future?...

http://www.webdevout.net/articles/beware-of-xhtml

So, give me a smile... :)

Sara

Once you're working on PHP 5.3, supposedly it's a fairly minor change for PHP 5.4. There's been some discussion about it. I wouldn't lose any sleep over that.

osC 2.2 can be updated to PHP 5.3 and then 5.4. If the existing store is extremely heavily modified, that may be a better course than to upgrade to osC 2.3.1 and trying to reimplement all your lost function. Don't forget all the security-related items that osC 2.2 needs. Face the facts that this store will be so different from stock 2.2 or 2.3 that it's a sui generis, and you will be largely responsible for maintaining it..

It's silly to talk about making changes to work with "possibly future versions of PHP". PHP upgrades break existing code. Period. You will have to fix code at each new PHP release, whether you're on an old osC 2.2 or 2.3.1 or even 2.4 or 3.0.

Don't talk about using 3.0 until it's finished.

2.3.2 osc fixes a lot of bugs caught by users, and introduces a new more secure system for resetting of customer password.

PHP 5.4 will break all sorts of things and is nothing to worry about.

PHP 5.3 broke loads of things and these are easily sortable in an hour or two, even for shops running tep (the forerunner to osC).

You're worrying about crap that doesn't need to be worried about.

In essence, the versions of osc that are >= 2.3.1 and < 3 will be usable and a stable platform for at least 5 to 10 years. That's a lifetime in internet terms. I am still seeing people run TEP, and these people simply will not change carts as what they have is usable and stable and secure (even though it is 12 years old). People jump to the latest greatest all the time, and then wonder why in 6 months time.

You can read the PHP 5.4 release announcement for yourself. I don't see anything there that would break osC 2.3.1, but I haven't tested it. Maybe one of you who are worried about this can go do a test and find out.

To answer the OP's original question, you can upgrade a 2.2x store to make it work with PHP 5.3 with a little effort. More effort may be required with future changes in PHP/MySQL. At some point, it may be easier to replace the store with the latest version of osCommerce rather than upgrade. It depends on the Addons that the store has/needs, and whether the owner is ready for a new look. Either option is possible.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

I've been runing a 2.2 shop (with all RC 1 & 2 + any applicable security patches) under php 5.3 for 2 years if my memory serves correct. I encountered a few hiccups upgrading, until I found the upgrade guide in the 2.3 download (applying the patches from 'upgrade' removed all of the deprecated errors).

You do not have to be skilled in php to make a 2.2 shop compatible with php 5.3, it's a matter of simply following the find -> replace instructions. Similar format to how the contrubutions work. Just make sure you have all of the security patches for versions 2.2 & on, if you are staying with 2.2.

To make 2.3.1 run on PHP5.4 will only require 2 small changes, so it should not be a major worry.

Thanks to all for your replies.

I quess it will be up to the owner as to whether he can find and edit the code. The way he was talking is his shop has LOT's of contributions added along with some custom code added by a programmer.

I will pass the word on to him that it is possible to stay with, although update, his 2.2 version.

I did recommend jumping to 2.3.1 but he is very reluctant.

Thanks again! I truely appreciate the inputs.

I personally think the owner needs to understand the score.

As MrPhil stated new PHP versions break code .. period .. they will continue to do so ( whatever the script ) and if you own an online shop you HAVE to budget to keep up with these changes, increasingly more so now as PCI compliance forces the hosting companies to keep pace with these upgrades.

Gone are the days where hosting companies could sit on ancient version of PHP and therefore gone are the days of your customer not paying out for his site to be upgraded regularly .. he'll just have to get his wallet out.

Ask him if he fancies a $14,000 dollar per year license from Magento and then to employ .. regularly .. a Magento verified engineer.

Thanks Robert for the comments.

I can certainly understand the need for constant updating/upgrading.

Unfortunately he was hoping to save a little money and do it himself. He asked my opinion and wasn't to happy with it since it was similar as stated in this thread.

I met him at my local computer repair shop which also offers hosting and web design. The owner of the repair shop doesn't do much with PHP and is unfamilar with osC. So I opened my mouth and got an ear full.

Last I heard, the osC shop owner is looking for a local programmer. Good luck to him!

Thanks again for all comments and recommendations.

:thumbsup:

Archived