• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Best Image Gallery/thumbnail plugins for 2.3.1 to replace default ones?

can anyone point me to the image plugins or add ons to replace the awful one that is given by default with oscommerce 2.3.1?

the default one is resizing images on the fly with javascript, and this is unnacceptable.

please advise. if i need 1 or more add ones, please point me to the best ones.

i have no other options now but to use oscommerce and hacking it to death, so any advice is appreciated.

@@vampirehunter

Would like to suggest this by FWR Media .

thanks

yes, i found that one, but it says that multiple images do not have "alt" tags on them, and this cannot be fixed?

im woried that this will affect search engine ranking and not be valid code html .

what do you think?

i find it hard that we are in 2012 and still there is not a simple solution for ecommerce. I feel oscommerce should already have many things in it like guest checkout, seo and other stuff.

buts it ok, i will try and hack the code myself. i remember almost dying after hacking the old version of oscommerce with its pathetic table layout which was a complete mission to do a basic thing.

It is why im afraid to touch any code in oscommerce yet.

Edited by vampirehunter

If you are too scared to copy and paste code, then maybe you should consider paying someone to do it for you. This could in the end be so much cheaper.

Multiple images in a standard install of oscommerce do not have alt tags. There are many addons that would do as you require, but coding knowledge may be required to get them to work with version 2.3.1. There are many oscommerce based store in the top pages of search engines so not having alt tags will do no, or very little harm.

Oscommerce will never be like opencart or prestashop, and have everythng in one package. Whilst this would be ideal and appeal to many more users, the developement team just do not seem interested in turning the oscommerce project into a complete shoppong cart. Still that is up to them. (now all the developers wil start winging that a complete cart will reduce their income.)

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

now all the developers wil start winging that a complete cart will reduce their income.

Its not about reduced income for developers, its about all the "bloat" which such "full" featured carts also have "included".

A clean cart with the basic features included is often the best base to build a shop from, you will then be able to customize it to your particular business needs while still keeping it as lean and mean as possible.

The problem with the current 2 series of oscommerce is that its not "modular" enough so installing add-ons usually include modifying core codes.

And actually there is soooo much more money to be had for developers in carts like Magento, Prestashop and Magento. Firstly you make an add-on you can sell it through their marketplaces, then you get additional income from customization request on the same add-on, then you get even more income from those who sign-up for support and update packages for that add-on ++++

Those carts are also way more complicated to modify, so most who DIY alot on their oscommerce cart would have to pay a developer to make close to any changes outside of standard functions, and due to the complexity of the code the number of qualified developers are smaller which in turn means that the prices are higher.

can anyone point me to the image plugins or add ons to replace the awful one that is given by default with oscommerce 2.3.1?

the default one is resizing images on the fly with javascript, and this is unnacceptable.

Use KissIT Image Thumbnailer for image resizing.

yes, i found that one, but it says that multiple images do not have "alt" tags on them, and this cannot be fixed?

im woried that this will affect search engine ranking and not be valid code html .

That is not something to worry about, google will index your product pages just fine.

If you are "concerned" about optimizing your pages to the MAX , then you can rip-out bxgallery and replace it with another image gallery solution as-well as modifying your shop to let you add in image alt tags for all product images in admin.