• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can't change anything in configure.php - permission denied?

MTG Mania

I am trying to edit my configure.php file to use a shared ssl (for now). However, every time I go into includes/configure.php I can edit, but when I go to save it tells me permission denied. I tried changing the perms to 444 and 400 and it still won't let me. I am so frustrated with this. Every time I think I have something figured out 2 more things come up that I spend hours on and still can't figure it out. Please, for the love of all that is holy, can someone point me in the right direction?

Purchase a dedicated SSL cert.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Purchase a dedicated SSL cert.

Yea, that's kinda what I was thinking too. Well, we will see how sales go, and if they are good, i'll invest the $125 or so for a year cert. I was just hoping there was a way to "work around" it until then. Ah well. Thanks for the reply!!

Before you buy check with your host and be sure your site will support dedicated SSL.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

To install and use a private SSL certificate, you will usually need to purchase a dedicated IP address for your site (a monthly fee). If you've bought a third party SSL cert, your host will probably charge you to install it (one time fee). See if those two items account for most of the price difference.

What osC could really use is a notice or warning next to all SSL links if it's a shared SSL certificate (that will take you to a different domain), so that customers would not be freaked out by seeing themselves suddenly on "secure blah blah blah".

@@DunWeb and @@germ I know Web hosting Hub does support a dedicated SSL, and that is where I got the $125 from. They want $99.99 for the year, plus a one-time installation fee of $25. Honestly, my husband signed up for all of this and (as you can tell) I am slightly.... uninformed on how all of this works. It was more, "Hey honey, you know how we were discussing starting a web store so we don't get hosed by FeeBay and PayPal? Well, I signed up for 3 years for our own web store. Have fun."

And I am. Ohhhhh, tons of it. lol This is a whole lot of trial and error for me. I am slowly getting there, and I apologize for sounding so dumb. Up until this adventure, I considered myself fairly intelligent. I might have to rethink that opinion. I am curious though on where I can get an SSL Cert for only $35.00. I checked a few out (Go Daddy and Verisign, and I almost choked when I saw the whopper amount they wanted. Damn near 2 grand for 2 years). So if you feel charitable, please take pity on me and help me out? Please? :-)

Archived