• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

php version options, i'd like to understand more

altoid

my web host tells me I can request about any version of php up to 5.3.13 for my sites. i just need to let them know and they'll set it up.

for now i want to avoid anything 5.3+ for my 2.2 sites, but i have a couple 2.3.1 sites that the 5.3+ may fit well with.

i understand there are deprecations going from 5.2* to 5.3, but beyond that what are the merits of going from

-----an ealier version of 5.2 to a later release of 5.2. what is going on in the newer versions that a person should want to take advantage of?

and

-----from 5.2 to 5.3, other than compatibility with the 3.2.1 version, what is going on there that would call for the move?

understanding the whys and wherefores of the different versions is new to me so that's why i am asking....i'd like to understand more before i tell my host to take me to this or that version.

thanks

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

@@altoid

v2.2 is compatible with PHP 5.2.x

v2.3.1 is compatible with PHP 5.3.x

To date, none of the current releases are compatible with PHP 5.4.x. Harald did state on May 4, 2012 that v2.4 would soon be released and it would be compatible with PHP 5.4.x. So far there is no sign of v2.4

Chris

i understand there are deprecations going from 5.2* to 5.3, but beyond that what are the merits of going from

-----an ealier version of 5.2 to a later release of 5.2. what is going on in the newer versions that a person should want to take advantage of?

and

-----from 5.2 to 5.3, other than compatibility with the 3.2.1 version, what is going on there that would call for the move?

Updates within versions of 5.2 are just bug fixes, mostly for security, last I looked. 5.3 has yet more security fixes as well as some code changes (deprecated functions, new functions and options added). If it doesn't cause you any problems, you should upgrade to 5.3. You will have to eventually because there are not going to be any more updates for 5.2 so whatever problems remain with it, and there are some, will always be there.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

@@DunWeb

@@Jack_mcs

Chris, Jack..thanks for the responses. Based on your info, I am inclined to leave the 2.2 shops at 5.2.* for now until I get around to moving them to a 2.3.1 level.

And might as well take the leap and get my 2.3.1 shops operating under 5.3 I suppose.

I appreciate the input.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Archived