• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

discount for manufacturers?

Oza

what do you mean by that, do you want to offer discounts for all products in a particular manufacturer category?

Find this post helpful? Click the 'Like this' button. :)

This addon should let you do that http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7700/v,23

It has many options such as selecting particular or all manufacturers, categories and products etc But it works for customers if they enter the discount code you create at checkout.

Edited by al3ks

Find this post helpful? Click the 'Like this' button. :)

I have coupons already, I want to be able to discount the manufacturer so everything from one manufacturer would be 15% off for example for a week for everyone, no discount codes.

I need a second opinion on this add-on. My developer said this would 100% take down my site if he installed it and wont even try.

Would really like to have it installed to make it easier managing procucts in specials as I have hundreds to do all at the same time.

Basically the changes developer made to template was removing all 'buy' functions as I use it as online catalogue only.

Why don't you just ask "your developer" to do this for you in any suitable way?

I did.His suggestion was to put a banner on home page to say e.g. 25% off and dont bother reducing each product but we have different discounts for different products and some are not in sale. I certainly wont be paying for his services again. He is already paid up for installing and setting up the site + 1 year maintenance so dont really want to pay someone else to do the job he should be doing.

This is the template that is currenlty being used with a few changes. http://www.templatemonster.com/oscommerce-templates/34296.html

Can you see why this add-on would not work with it?

Edited by Mac Fly

Can you see why this add-on would not work with it?

Well, everything is possible with a monster template, you never know :)

But seriously, the whole issue has nothing to to with a template or anything. It's all about pulling products of a specific manufacturer or category or whatever and adding them one by one to the specials table like regular specials

In other words, instead of doing this manually, you let the script do it. This is a plain script/database interaction that happen in admin and does not affect the front side in any way

I don't know this addon, but honestly, I don't see any reason why it should break your site, unless "your developer" saw some error in the code or something like this, well, even in this case it can be corrected

Why don't you install it your self on a copy of your store? Then you'll know

EDIT: you could let "your developer" participate at this discussion and explain, or at least he could tell you why he think so, then you could be more specific here

Edited by multimixer

Why don't you install it your self on a copy of your store? Then you'll know

I would if i knew how

This is the mentality i'm up against

Developer - "I never install these add ons - they never work, even on a fresh, out of the box osCommerce. They a some enthusiasts' programmers creations who keep themselves busy. There is no support, and if you read the files, it's always emphasized: "Use at your own risk" in red, "BACK UP YOUR DATABASE FIRST!!". "

Well, your developer is partially right: a good part of the addons are made by hobby programmers, have coding mistakes or in the best case bad practices, a big part has no support etc

At the other hand, they are not meant to be used by developers. They are meant for store owners who would not be able to create any functionality themselves

A developer don't need to follow any addon practices "blind" and it's his own decision to use a particular addon as is, to use it as a base for his own modifications or not to use it at all and create his own functionality

For sure you can't say that none of the addons work. Your developers statement is insulting for all those people who delivered and keep delivering quality addons, there are 1000's of stores working with them

Regarding the statement "Use at your own risk", yes that is true, this is for all addons, even for osCommerce it self

In any case, your developer need to deliver a solution and make sure that this solution work. You don't care if he'll use an addon or what exactly he will do. You have a need, developer should cover the need and make sure that there is "no risk"

I don't know your exact agreement with your developer and why he don't do what you need.

However, right now there are 2 options

- you learn to do this kind of things your self

- you pay somebody else for this (in this case you can post to the commercial support section o the forum)

About how to create a copy of your store, there are several topics that cover this, it's the same procedure like moving the store from one host to an other, or for installing the store on xampp etc, you can use that keywords for searching