• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Paypal Website Payments Pro & Express Checkout issue

ggrant3

2.3.1 site

I setup my site and have been placing test sales with the paypal sandbox without a problem, everything is fine in sandbox mode. But I just switched over to live mode and I get an error message saying "This transaction cannot be processed due to an invalid merchant configuration."

I got my "live" API credentials from paypal and entered them in (both for express checkout and website payments pro) and clicked "live".

I don't know what the problem is. Since everything worked so well in sandbox I didn't expect a problem switching over to live.

Did I miss something? What could it be?

That error is saying your account with paypal is not setup correctly. The API credentials are different for the live and sandbox servers so if you are using the same ones for both, that is the problem. Otherwise, you should contact Paypal and ask them to look at your account to see what the problem is.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

That error is saying your account with paypal is not setup correctly. The API credentials are different for the live and sandbox servers so if you are using the same ones for both, that is the problem. Otherwise, you should contact Paypal and ask them to look at your account to see what the problem is.

No I am using the live credentials, I made sure of that.

I "think" it may take a bit before the live api credentials are "activated". Because I just clicked through the process on paypal and inserted the info into the site and tried it all within about 2 minutes. So maybe it takes a little while for them to be activated through paypal.

Okay I just got off the phone with Paypal Tech Support and they found out that the problem is I have "Website Payments Pro" through them.

So on my admin side I had chosen "Paypal Website Payments Pro - Direct Payments" well apparently that was wrong. I am suppose to use "Paypal Website Payments Pro (Payflow Edition) - Direct Payments". So I switched.

But I notice a couple things:

1. In the setup area for this option it says "Do you want to accept PayPal Direct (UK) payments?" The only other reference I saw that related something to the UK was lower down under "Partner" it listed PayPalUK as the standard option so I just changed it to the U.S. version "PayPal" is that okay?

2. Also now the card options when I do a test sale are Visa, Mastercard, Maestro, Solo. I took a look in the file under catalog, includes, modules, payment, paypal_pro_payflow_dp.php and I found the following:

$this->cc_types = array('0' => 'Visa',
						  '1' => 'MasterCard',
						  '9' => 'Maestro',
						  'S' => 'Solo');

I was tempted to just change the "Maestro" to "Discover" and the "Solo" to "American Express". But then I was wondering if the "9" and "S" next to Maestro and Solo needed to be changed also, if so to what? Would the 9 and S cause some kind of communication issue with Payflow?

Okay finally got this figured out.

If anyone has an issue with their Website Payments Pro not working here is what was wrong with mine.

Everything on my end was fine, I could process paypal payments (Paypal express) and Website Payments Pro payments in the sandbox. I switched over my configuration settings to my "live" API credentials and I could only process paypal express payments, standard credit card purchases were not processing.

After a couple of hours with paypal, one of the tech's noticed that a "toggle switch" on my Paypal account (that I do not have access to) was not set to live. It was something related to my accounts because of the way I have my accounts setup. And even though all my accounts were processed, approved, and activated. Someone failed to flip that switch.

The guy I was working with switched that toggle (as he called it) and I ran a test sale and it went through fine.

Just goes to show you there can always be some little thing that slows down progress. Thankfully paypal has knowledgeable people that are actually willing to help. I have always been impressed calling them, I didn't expect to get that kind of interest from them.