• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Losing customers in default checkout..what to do?

robster2

Hi all..

Im losing a lot of customers in the default checkout process.. which are the best contributions for streamlining the checkout??

I have cash on delivery for domestic customers and paypal standard for abroad..

Maybe use paypal express and purchase without account together with one page checkout... Im not sure, quite a few solutions out there..any suggestions ??

Thanks in advance

Rob

Install the recover cart sales addon. This is brilliant for getting feedback from customers who did not complete the checkout. When i first installed it, i found customers are not completing the checkout because of the shipping prices. I have now added the show shipping in cart addon, and nearly never have a incompleted cart. Also check what information you are collecting on the create account page. Loose the title and date of birth if you havent done so already.

There is really no one answer to what is the best checkout process. In general, the oscommerce checkout does work, and there are many stores that use it as it came. Some of the one page checkouts are just too big and confusing.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Im losing a lot of customers in the default checkout process..

How do you know what is the reason for abandonment.

There is no point in changing the default checkout, if you have no clue what you should be changing.

For what it's worth, I recently installed "one page checkout" on a clients site which lead to an overall decrease in orders being placed. Reason: too much information on one page.

Its just too much things to go through to actually make a purchase what I want to get rid of the login hassle, reduce the customer info to a minimum and shorten the checkout process..

Im currently looking at these solutions or are there any other solutions or tricks to recommend??

Check out Redux http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7019/v,22

Fast easy checkout http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/3469/v,22

You need to choose what best suits your customers.

Just thouight i would mention that some of the biggest stores have long checkout procedures, but they only collect and give a little information on each page. So a one page checkout with a lot of info,may not be the way to go, or the large players would all be doing it. As i said before, i eexpect you problems lie else where and not with the general checkout procedure, and to be honest you are only guessing that is the problem. Dont do anything until you have found out, thats called research.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

@@robster2

I agree with what Steve says, install the Recover Cart Sales contribution, collect feedback, then plan what you need to do. I use the default checkout process and it works great - the problem probably lies elsewhere - ie your shipping costs or the payment methods.

@@14steve14

You probably are still getting the same amount of abandoned carts, but as you are showing shipping prior to the customer registering, then Recover Cart Sales will not pick them up - as this only picks up abandoned carts against a registered customer. - So you may be losing customers without chance to coax them back, as they left before giving you their name and address etc.

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Archived