• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google XML SEO does not update sitemaps

shopgrl

I have the Google XML SEO installed for my oscommerce shop. I did not install the software myself. I am running Online Merchant v2.3.1

I am noticing two problems since moving to a new host (InMotion). One is the sitemaps are not updating. Second, the cron job set up to submit the sitemaps is not working. According to the host, it is their mod security that is the problem there.

Is there a way to manually create and then submit a sitemap for an oscommerce shop? I need to bypass the mod security. I assume I can just go into Google and Bing webmaster tools to do that, but first I need to create the correct xml files for an oscommerce shop.

These sitemaps currently exist and are on the server: sitemapindex.xml, sitemapcategories.xml and sitemapproducts.xml. They used to update daily when I was with my previous host. But when I moved (had to, host went out of business) the whole process stopped. The new host claims mod security is messing up the cron job, but why won't the software update the xml files? Is that a cron issue, too?

So, what I need is a way to create the correct xml files for an oscommerce shop, update them regularly and submit them to the search engines. Any suggestions would be welcome.

The cron job is what updates the files. You may need to set the permissions on the files to a higher level, as mentioned in the install file. But if your host is saying it is their fault that the cron job isn't working correctly, then they need to fix it.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

Since I seem to be having so many problems with running a cron, would installing the Google XML Sitemap Admin Module for osCommerce 2.3.1 be a good option? I added the two files as instructed, but when I go into admin there is nothing in the Dashboard about xml files. I only see these listed: Customers, Orders, Total customers Chart (last 30 days) and Total Revenue Chart (last 30 days.) What am I missing?

I'm not familiar with any of the google sitemap contributions other than the one I support. In it, there are not any sections added to the admin column so you shouldn't see anything there. As mentioned, if cron is not working, your host needs to fix it. If they refuse, or can't, then you need to change hosts.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons