• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Check my soon to be live test site

14steve14

I am going to open myself up to a fair bit of critism here. My test site is nearly ready to go live, and i would welcome others opinions on the site. I have tried to remove both the left and right colums, and add the boxes that that removes somewhere else on the site. I hope i have it all.

New images are currently being worked on for the front page slider. All new product images are being created in both large and small files sizes. There are a few missing images on the information pages as i have yet to add those to the images folder.

On the shop front side i have added a few contributions, and have a few left to add, such as fancier invoice, but still have to ammend the code to use css, and not all the current corner image files. SPPC has been added and i hope that is working, as has headertags seo, sitemap seo, all products, show shipping in cart and many more, including other small aterations to the code.

Most of the addons have been added to the admin side which make the working of the site how i want it.

There are a jobs still to do such as sort out the top of the product info page so all the divs get aligned. Need to figure out the 960 grid method to align divs. Still have to transfer all the products, customers and orders from the old store, but the ones that are there are how the store is going to look.

Would welcome all comments and suggestions.

Store is at www.railwayscenics.com/catalogue

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

@@14steve14

I had a brief look and I like the way you show on product info page

- Related Products

- Related Categories

- Related Manufacturers

and product navigation on top of the page to view the other products form the selected products category.

i.e. Product 8 of 11

Category 07/0.2 Layout wire

Also what I found is, you have designed and developed the site keeping SEO in mind.

I would like to suggest non www Vs www redirect and a 301 redirect for your current URL http://railwayscenics.com/catalogue to railwayscenics.com.

Well done so far.

Praful

Like post..hit LIKE button.

osCommerce | Joomla | WordPress | Magento | SEO | CakePHP | CI

Guaranteed Website Speed Optimization!!

on my mini laptop the details of the product info page are all below the fold, I feel too much space is wasted on top

I like the site overall, but find the header seo and breadcrumb placement odd

also I would have used less lines in the look of the site, and remove the rounded outer box introducing a shadow background or something.

is white/blue your company color theme ? it doesn't strike me as a typical railway color theme, more like an apple/it templatecolor.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Many thanks for the comments so far.

Praful

I am glad you like the look of the site. The seo is an addon as i know it is important to get right.

Carine

I have played with using a drop shadow on the outer of the site and i like the idea. Will have to play some more to find a good colour.

I have removed some of the wasted space at the top of the page. I still have to do the same at the top of the product info pages.( this was and still is on my todo list)

Unfortunately the light blue is the colour used on all of our product packaging, so to change it would be rather expensive. I have tried to incorperate into the site, but to not use too much of it. I may change the button colours to reduce it some more, and keep the text blue. The trouble is to find a nice colout that will blend in with the site. Again i will have to play and see what looks best.

Looks good to me.

2 comments

1) Some of the images look a little grainy and "squashed"

3) As soon as someone lands on your home page 7 cookies are set - yet you have no cookie info or implied consent banner as is now required under EU laws.

Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Heather

Thanks for your comment.

Cookie info has now been added.

You are right about some of the smaller images. I am in the process of producing two sizes of square images to be used on the site. One for the small image and one for the large image. This is taking longer than expected.

I am also trying to figure out how to add all the products from the old store to the new. The trouble i am having is that the category structure is very different. I have tried to add easy populate, but that looks even more complicated as i first have to add all the added add ons to that. It may be a case of sitting down and cutting and pasting the code to the new site.

• 1 month later...

I visited your website with IE8 and latest Chrome.

- Your horizontal menu is nice but menu items like Baseboard Construction does not fit into the cell

- Your cart icon is somewhat hidden behind the horizontal menu

- This text looks fuzzy: "Scale model railway card building kits for download and online model shop - Railwayscenics model railway accessories"

- I notice the same for other text elements on your site too. A font issue of some sorts perhaps?

- Your title and various meta tags on your product page look good

- This is just me: Unless you receive lots of traffic & sales, I would not include rating and reviews on products. Very few customers fill this stuff out, imo. Others may disagree with me, but in the case where most of these values are zero your site's credibility might be somewhat reduced. Take what I say here with a grain of salt.

- I would consider adding a contribution where you do not need to create an account. Some people do not like to create a new account and expose their e-mail address with a password. Ref. Yahoo and LinkedIn.

- Call to action: Your "Add to Cart" and "Checkout" icons are similar to the other buttons you have. Making this a color that stands out on the product page or the shopping cart page may make it easier for your customers to find this button. I would make them somewhat larger. Look at amazon.com, they use a large yellow button for actions related to adding something to the cart and checkout.

- Call to action: When I add something to the cart I have to scroll down to access the "Checkout" button. Consider putting it on the top right or something like that. Once again, visit amazon.com as a reference.

- I assume UK is your primary country, it is nice that the "Delivery Country" defaults to the UK then.

Checkout Process:

- As mentioned earlier, I would seriously consider a guest checkout procedure: Get the name, address, shipping method and pay. As quick and easy as possible.

- You have worked very hard to make a customer add something to the cart and click checkout. I would ask for and show the very minimal of information during the checkout process. Even if it is optional, I have to scroll down to get through the various list. Stuff like, "where did you hear about us" is nice info to catch, but what if one out of twenty customers leave the checkout procedure because there is "too much" info to be filled out or too much scrolling

- I would remove the security code needed to create an account. In fact, if I got it wrong one or two times, I might leave my cart.

- This is just me again, but I would remove the "Terms and Conditions" from the create account page. I would rather say something like this, "when you create an account you agree to the terms and conditions", where the "terms and conditions" is a pop up link or something like that. Once again, this is an obstacle to the real goal, to get the customer to check out.

Good luck :)

@@sapguy

What browser are you using, as when i load the pages in firefox and ie9 everything lines up ok.

We followup every sale and ask customers to review the product they have purchased. This is a means of marketing, and that is why we do not have guest accounts. With an email address we can at least send newsletters and other offers to customers, which hopefully increase sales.

Agree that the add to cart button could stand out more on the page. Will have to change the colour of that one button.

Most customers do not read the terms and conditions before making a purchase, but it is very bad practice to not make available those conditions in case someone does read them. The where did you hear about us is there to help with our business marketing. We have occasionally addded it to our current site, and allows us to see where customers are finding us, and where we are wasting our money on national advertising. It is something that we use to help the business and it is not always on the site.

Thanks for the feedback, it is appresiated, and i will take on board all of your comments.

I used:

IE8

Latest Chrome

Firefox 13.0.1

The "n" in Construction does not fit. My screen resolution is 1366/768 on a crummy old Sony laptop.

And in regards to your comments on my feedback, if your setup works for your business model then that is great, every business is different :) I think my main point for me is that getting the actual purchase trumps everything else, that is why I normally suggest guest checkout. On another note, once a customer checks out as a guest, you can still contact them if you require them to leave their phone and e-mail address. I will leave it at that ;)

Archived