• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Quick install - totally confused!

zefeena

Hi,

I am trying to start a new oscommerce on a new domain etc - ALL NEW!

I have been following the quick install - seem to have managed to get the folders/files etc on and in the write place at www.apattern.co.uk in the catalog folder.

The next step i am up to is:

5. Then go to http://www.yourdomain.com/install and begin the install procedure.

I don't understand what that means! Do i type in http://www.apattern.co.uk /install into my browser and expect something to happen - (it doesn't!)

or do i go into the 'install' file in the file manager and then 'do something' to it? If so - what am i supposed to do to it!

nothing seems to happen i'm totally stuck!

Any advice would be appreciated - please do not email me offering me your 'services' as a web programmer. I want to do this myself - it is the only way to learn and I do intend to learn despite how frustrating and time consuming i'm finding it!

Thank you Kellie

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

/catalog/install/

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

/catalog/install/

I'm sorry, what does that mean??? I kind of need a more user friendly reply - i'm a seamstress and exnurse - programming is very alien to me.

I think i may have my files in the wrong place anyhow. The host told me to put them in the var/www/vhost/apattern.co.uk/httpdocs directory, but the httpdocs directory was on the first list when i opened up the folder, i.e var and httpdocs were on the same level.

I tried to make a new directory of httpdocs at the correct place, but it will not permit me to make any directorys and nor will it let me move the httpdocs directory over to what i was told where it should be.

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

okay, so for we stupid people i'm to type:

http://www.apattern.co.uk/catalog/install into my browser and follow the instructions

Which as got me onw step further, though its not letting me do anything - not sure why - login not being accepted

There was a problem connecting to the database server. The following error had occured:

Access denied for user 'apatterncouk'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Please verify the connection parameters and try again.

I've tried using the host serve name and the number and as above local host, none let me on. am i supposed to be changing permissions somewhere maybe - i'm so glad i haven't chosen this as a career it is infuriating!

@@zefeena

Following steps might help you to complete your installation.

Step 1: Upload all the files and folders under catalog folder to the root instead.

Step 2: Login to Cpanel

Step 3: Select Main Menu > Advanced > MySQL Databases section.

Step 4: Select Create a New MySQL Database And Database User section.

Step 5: Fill in MySQL database name field

Step 6: Fill in MySQL username field

Step 7: Fill in Password & Password again fields.

Step 8: Click Create button.

Step 9: Go to http://yourdomain.com/catalog/install/ or http://yourdomain.com/install/ to start the installation.

Step 10: Follow instructions of installation on appear on screen.

Praful :)

Like post..hit LIKE button.

osCommerce | Joomla | WordPress | Magento | SEO | CakePHP | CI

Guaranteed Website Speed Optimization!!

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Thank you both. The host doesn't have the traditional cpanel - a major frustration. So right from the off, i'm lost around the admin. I did create the database and change the configure file permissions, but i still seem to be missing something. It doesn't help when you have at best a 0.25mb internet speed. its click...wait...freeze! - and anyone who suggests i get a better speed - it isn't possible without moving house! one has to choose good views or good internet, its either, or, not both!

I shall prowl throu the guides further and see if i can get somewhere.

Well i just checked to see if there was any permissions i'd missed on the database and accidentally created a new user for the database. When i used the new user name to log in instaead of the original one it worked!!!

So no idea what was amiss - but who cares!

Now one last thing before i attempt to add lots of wonderful contributions:

If you type in http://www.apattern.co.uk/catalog/ it goes to the right place, but if you just type http://www.apattern.co.uk it doesn't. Am i right in thinking:

i need to move my index file to the same level as the catalog folder, and is that a move or a copy?

And if that works, i'm taking a break today!!

@@zefeena

If you want the customers visit your online store like http://yourdomain.com/, then you should upload all the files and folders undercatalog folder to the root instead.

Praful

Oh, my other website was set up by someone else and they had called a folder 'store' and put everything in there, which i thought would do the same thing.

Not to worry, i think i'm getting this now!!

Ahh! just had a thought, i have already done the 'install' thing (and i don't really want to go through that again!) is there an easy way to get around this?

If i move the file am i going to have to do the install again.

Or would i be betetr to put some kind of file/page so when people type in just my domain name they are redirected straight away to to my website shop, if so what kind of file would it be?? any templates?

Thank you for your patience.

You can do it with 301 redirect through Cpanel or by adding a rule in .htaccess.

okay, can't do the cpanel, as i said my host admin is not cpanel and i really don't know my way around it. I'll research the other option. thank you

I'm pretty rubbish at all things programming, but i'm an accomplished 'problem solver' so i've opted for an easy route!

The host platform had auto install of wordpress (blog stuff), so i've auto installed that, and i'm going to then have a link to my store. this is a double bonus as i wanted some way of providing info any way.

So all is good there. However, i do have another glitch, i can't get on my admin to add products!

I have input www.apattern.co.uk/catalog/admin - but it says Unable to connect to database server! - So is there something i need to do or have done wrong!

Thank you kellie

Well, i don't understand these things. I just tarted up the wordpress page, made the image link to the shop, checked the link worked, and then had another go at the admin panel and it worked!!

I think its stupid AOL, it never keeps up with anything and does silly things, i should know better by now than to trust it!

But anyway, all is well now, thank you all, i shall tinker with the layout and add a few contributions to it, so no doubt i'll be back when i mess it all up again. off to take a well earned rest now!

Kellie x x x

Thers always something else! Thank you for that. I shall attempt to rectify the problem before it occurs. If only everyone was honest we wouldn't have these problems!!

Archived