• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is anybody using the Template System?

nan

I have created and posted a template system here. I would love feedback as well.

Nice work, I was going along the same thoughts awhile ago....but was having difficulty with the search feature working properly.....I liked the idea of using post or get (i used get) to pull the pages in my first attempt at it I used one page in the top but thought the switching would be better if it was done at a lower level....rather then at the top most level..but this is a personal perference.......

As well I was thinking it would be nice to have the java contained in a specific directory for future upgrades (as well it lower the java errors that occured in some places........the admin part is missing though....I did not see it in either of the zip files.....maybe I missed it though....

if you are interested I would like to work on the system in conjunction with mine....

cheers,

Peter McGrath

-----------------------------

See my Profile (click here) for more information and to contact me for professional osCommerce support that includes SEO development, custom development and security implementation

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you are interested I would like to work on the system in conjunction with mine....

YES cannuck! That is the reason i posted it, was the hope it would be adopted. it took a long time to get all the functions and classes to work, but it is in use, and i havent had any problems (yet). I was limited to 300k for the upload, so i could not include the admin files in the zipped archives.

Please contact me.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for sending the needed files. I am almost done, just one more problem, and I'm sure it's something simple...

In the osc-red theme, I cannot pull up any of the information box links except shipping. All the others I am trying to use & have added text in the editor to, are only showing TEXT_INFORMATION in the catalog. Also, the articles are not showing up under the drop-down.

Like I said, probably something simple I'm missing - but have had a flu from he** the past couple of weeks - and can't think straight long enough to know where I can fix this.

Thanks to anyone who can help,

Violet

I've had some trouble amending the website text when I go to Customize. Anyone else having the same problem?

Can you be more specific with your problem please, I will try to help, but I need to know what is wrong. I have been using the text editor system for six months now, and have no problems with it....

Thanks for sending the needed files.

Your welcome.... :D

In the osc-red theme, I cannot pull up any of the information box links except shipping. All the others I am trying to use & have added text in the editor to, are only showing TEXT_INFORMATION in the catalog. Also, the articles are not showing up under the drop-down.

Are you referring to a layout or theme?

if it is a layout, from a previous release, then it should be no problem to fix..the boxes issue, simple copy the contents of the original osc boxes and paste them into the red_osc boxes directory.....

cheers,

Peter McGrath

See my Profile (click here) for more information and to contact me for professional osCommerce support that includes SEO development, custom development and security implementation

Peter, thanks so much for this, I wasn't going to upgrade my site until I saw this, it makes everything sooo much easier!

The only thing I don't get, and I apologize if this is a silly question is the mainpage editor, I just don't understand what to do with it. In side the editor I see:

Template System by : 

' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'SMTlogo.gif') .'  

'; $info_box_contents = array(); $info_box_contents[] = array('align' => 'left', 'text' => $mainpage_title ); new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, false, false); $info_box_contents = array(); $info_box_contents[] = array('align' => 'left', 'text' => $mainpage_info); new infoBox($info_box_contents); ?>

I'm guessing that this is where the Html stuff goes but what exactly does it change?

Thanks again!

Hi Peter,

The problem I have, is when I add (in Admin), "Web Site Information Pages" or alter text to the existing ones, they don't show up in the Catalog. For example, the Shipping - the link in the catalog seems to not link to the same shipping page. I have added a enw page, but it does not come up in the Information box at all.

Thanks,

Violet

I'm guessing that this is where the Html stuff goes but what exactly does it change?

I am not sure which zip file you downloaded (I forgot to include it in the zip file but have fixed this), but in my system I have included an catalog/index.php page, it is here that the mainpage is displayed....look in your catalog directory and see if you have the index.php file....if you do not, email me and I will send it to you.....the mainpage, has not been modified, and if you want to edit the contents you can do so via the tool, or the catalog/includes/languages/english/mainpage.php file....

The problem I have, is when I add (in Admin), "Web Site Information Pages" or alter text to the existing ones, they don't show up in the Catalog. For example, the Shipping - the link in the catalog seems to not link to the same shipping page. I have added a enw page, but it does not come up in the Information box at all.

the shipping page, I use the site information page tool I made up.....do you see a drop down box for the site information? If so, send me the links to the admin (if you can), and I will have a look see, and give you a better idea on what's happening....if you do not have a drop down box, then you have the wrong box in the layout.....

cheers,

Peter McGrath

Peter,

whats the secret to dl'ng the files - i went to get your latest version and while everything is marked free, when you go thru checkout you have to select a payment method and then it tells you that you cannot dl until payment is received, but it free????

what am I missing :wink:

Once Peter sees the order, you'll get an email saying your status has been updated, with a link that you can go download from.

I think if everyone the downloaded your free work, gave a few bucks towards your hard efforts it would be great. I did so and thanks, but when I went to download the osc template system, the site was either down or not functioning. The paypal system was working however, because my donation went through from my account to you. I look forward to testing and working with the osc template system. Could you email me a link so I can download it.

Thanks.

Gary Mercer

MercerMedia.us

I am not sure which zip file you downloaded (I forgot to include it in the zip file but have fixed this)' date=' but in my system I have included an catalog/index.php page, it is here that the mainpage is displayed....look in your catalog directory and see if you have the index.php file....if you do not, email me and I will send it to you.....the mainpage, has not been modified, and if you want to edit the contents you can do so via the tool, or the catalog/includes/languages/english/mainpage.php file....[/quote']

So do I in fact enter in just plain html to edit the file? Is it that simple? (yes, I do have index.php)

I think if everyone the downloaded your free work, gave a few bucks towards your hard efforts it would be great. I did so and thanks, but when I went to download the osc template system, the site was either down or not functioning.

I see that you sent me some money, thanks it is always appreciated....I did not recieve any email from paypal, which I usually do, I think I have a problem with my ISP email server....And was the site down today? Can you tell me what happened please...or what was happing on the site...I did some up-grades today and would like to know....

The paypal system was working however, because my donation went through from my account to you. I look forward to testing and working with the osc template system. Could you email me a link so I can download it.

Well I was out tonight, and just got home...I changed your order status from pending to Download.....you should have the email by now, click on the link, login and go to the purchased order history....from there you can click on the link and see the order info and a download box......it seems like a pain in the butto go through this and I am working on something which will make it easier...

So do I in fact enter in just plain html to edit the file? Is it that simple? (yes, I do have index.php)

Yes....I just knoticed the HTML editor was not set up right, here is the code you should replace in the file

admin/text_editor.php

form this

<!-- START : EDITOR HEADER - INCLUDE THIS IN ANY FILES USING EDITOR -->

<script language="Javascript1.2" src="<?php echo HTTP_SERVER; ?>/site_admin/editor.js"></script>

<script>

// set this to the URL of editor direcory (with trailing forward slash)

// NOTE: _editor_url MUST be on the same domain as this page or the popups

// won't work (due to IE cross frame/cross window security restrictions).

// example: http://www.hostname.com/editor/

_editor_url = "<?php echo HTTP_SERVER; ?>/site_admin/";

</script>

<style type="text/css"><!--

.btn   { BORDER-WIDTH: 1; width: 26px; height: 24px; }

.btnDN { BORDER-WIDTH: 1; width: 26px; height: 24px; BORDER-STYLE: inset; BACKGROUND-COLOR: buttonhighlight; }

.btnNA { BORDER-WIDTH: 1; width: 26px; height: 24px; filter: alpha(opacity=25); }

--></style>

<!-- END : EDITOR HEADER -->

to this.....

<!-- START : EDITOR HEADER - INCLUDE THIS IN ANY FILES USING EDITOR -->

<script language="Javascript1.2" src="<?php echo HTTP_SERVER . DIR_WS_ADMIN; ?>editor.js"></script>

<script>

// set this to the URL of editor direcory (with trailing forward slash)

// NOTE: _editor_url MUST be on the same domain as this page or the popups

// won't work (due to IE cross frame/cross window security restrictions).

// example: http://www.hostname.com/editor/

_editor_url = "<?php echo HTTP_SERVER. DIR_WS_ADMIN;  ?>";

</script>

<style type="text/css"><!--

.btn   { BORDER-WIDTH: 1; width: 26px; height: 24px; }

.btnDN { BORDER-WIDTH: 1; width: 26px; height: 24px; BORDER-STYLE: inset; BACKGROUND-COLOR: buttonhighlight; }

.btnNA { BORDER-WIDTH: 1; width: 26px; height: 24px; filter: alpha(opacity=25); }

--></style>

<!-- END : EDITOR HEADER -->

cheers and thanks

Peter McGrath

Sorry place the same code in both

admin/catagories.php

admin/mainpage.php

this will enable the HTML editor system if you are not seeing it now....

cheers,

Peter McGrath

Thanks again Peter, for those following along, in your last post I think you meant define_mainpage.php. At least that's what I hope you meant :)

So now that I know how to modify index.php, how do I go about changing the other files, like application top, etc?

The logic of this is escaping me, how bout a high level description of how the editor part of this system works?

So now that I know how to modify index.php, how do I go about changing the other files, like application top, etc?

Well the only text contained in the application_top file is found just before the FILENAME defines, this text is about three lines of code (defines) which are used to lable the store name....just change these to your store name or what ever....

The logic of this is escaping me, how bout a high level description of how the editor part of this system works?

OK, here goes....

first, each page has it's own name, which is used to grab the language files from the correct file in the language file in the standard osc....

this is changed now so, I use only one language file....the english.php file in languages/english.php

next all of the pages which had the files in the directory languages/english... have now been moved to the database table web_site_content. This covers about 95% of the site text.

It is this text which is editable via the admin tool....

the admin tool will list every page which has text contained on it, some of the text is standard for all pages, ie boxes, so this is contained under the catagory (page) called all...

in the new english.php file, the text is similarly divided up....using a switch statment.....ie case 'default': .......... break;

here you can change the text which has embedded php statements included....

that is just about it, currently I have not released the multi - language part of it, this will be done for the MS2, I am just getting french and spanish translated now for my system. If any one wants to take on another language, I would like to hear from you, just email me please..

cheers and HTH,

Peter McGrath

Well I believe you are using the wrong boxes/information.php file, you can email me if you still are missing the right files and I will send them to you...

I have fixed this in the more recent zip files.....I believe that they are all the working as they should now....

cheers,

Peter McGrath

Sorry Im a little behind please forgive me. I still cannot get the mainpage.php test to show up on my catalog default.php page. Also I am trying to install the forum.php contribution but cannot get past

Fatal error: Failed opening required 'includes/header.php' (include_path='') in /home/www/tank27/shop/forum.php on line 41

Assuming Milestone 2.2 is released soon, how long will it take for the template system to be incorporated?

Well I will be upgrading ASAP, so look for the system in about a weeks time after it has been released at my site.......

Also I am trying to install the forum.php contribution but cannot get past

Quote:

Fatal error: Failed opening required 'includes/header.php' (include_path='') in /home/www/tank27/shop/forum.php on line 41

Well this is due to the fact that the forum button in the phpBB layout points to the phpBB page, but you need to install the software first, since my system does not come with it....

cheers and HTH

Peter McGrath

OK i found where to change the page calls ( I finally got Teach yourself php in 24 hours) and how to change the dependencies. Please bare with me an I am a nubie to this. the mainpage on the default page is still got me perplexed