• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Site Revamp - Was it worth it? LOL

Hi all,

Well - it's done - after tweaking with the default install of osCommerce for a couple of months, I decided that I really needed to start again from scratch and hack big chunks of it out to achieve (amongst other things) the following ...

Easier to use (for non computer-savvy customers)

Faster checkout without need to login

General "uncluttered" appearance

Faster to use navigation (settled on Java for this - perhaps unwise, but a workaround is in place for those without)

You know what it's like though, the longer you work on a project, the harder it is to look at it objectively - I could have gone on forever adding, tweaking etc ... I think I'm being over critical!

I could really do with some extra opinions ...

www.freelollies.co.uk

PLEASE NOTE - THIS IS LIVE, SO PLEASE DON'T ORDER! (unless you want to spend lots of money of course ;) )

Thanks,

Ali

www.freelollies.co.uk

Thanks everyone who's replied so far ...

tcpinhead:

I had a sneaky suspicion at the time I made the hard-coded links that things couldn't be that easy! Thanks for pointing it out (and for telling me how to fix it) - it'll be altered tomorrow. Out of interest, anyone seen any stats on what percentage of users don't allow cookies?

gdfwilliams:

Yep, some of the photos are awful - the good news is that we've got a mix of old and new photos on the site. All the old ones have been re-taken already and will be replacing the existing ones in the next few days.

freerangemum:

Glad you like it! When you say UKp, I'm assuming you mean UKparents - in which case yes, or at least we have a link-swap in place and have been known to pop into the forums from time to time ...

Thanks again to everyone so far, but please - keep the comments/criticism coming!

Ali

www.freelollies.co.uk

Thanks again tcpinhead for pointing out the problem with the hard-coded links - I've fixed them all now.

I nearly didn't bother asking for opinions - glad I did now otherwise I would have been effectively turning away customers!

A little knowledge truly is a dangerous thing!

Cheers again,

Ali

http://www.freelollies.co.uk

The title tag of your default page (ie the splash page) says "Untitled Document"... changing it will help when bookmarking the site/enable search engines to find it better (if your title is descriptive enough) and look a lot more professional.

Site looks quite good though. Good choice of colours.

Ooops - just changed the index page a couple of days ago and completely forgot about the title - doh! Absolutely right though - it makes a massive difference as far as Google and his friends are concerned ...

With regards to the categories menu - this is a real problem. Obviously I want the site to be as close to 100% compatible as is possible, however I also want it to be as easy to use as possible.

To my mind, the default "categories" menu in OSC makes navigation too slow if there are more than a couple of categories. The dhtml menu mod works well, apart from the incompatibility issues - anyone have any better solutions?

Ali

www.freelollies.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Archived