Sign in to follow this  
ggrant3

Do contributions go through an approval process?

Normally I only download contributions from people I have seen on here that have a solid reputation.

But sometimes I come across a contribution that has been modified by someone other than the original creator and I am skeptical about if there may be some malicious code inserted somewhere that could be detrimental to my site's info/access.

Am I just being overly paranoid here, or are contributions and modifications checked by someone to be sure they are "clean"?

Just curious.

@@burt

Thats a bit strong really - your basically saying that everyone should use a stock OSC store unless they have the capability to code modifications themselves Or maybe hire someone to do it for them ?

So taking your comment literally the excellent work put in by Jack_MCS, Spooks, Taipo etc to name but a few should be avoided? as should all the security mods?

Personally I have about 30 or so modifications installed and my sites run like a dream - OK some had teething problems that took a while to sort out, but once sorted the way I wanted them they were fine.

Sorry to argue Gary, but without the excellent work of some of the contribution writers my sites would not be paying the bills right now !

Thanks

Edited by Mort-lemur

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

@@burt

Good points well made... to answer a few.

I know that my sites would not be doing well if I coded the mods myself, as they would be very very broken!!

From a number of years lurking around the forum, as Mort-Lemur for about 3 and as another name going back to arount 2003 I have come to trust a small number of contributers of contributions.

Like 95% (guess) of users of this forum, what I know about PHP & SQL could be written on a postage stamp and we therefore rely on the generous work of others to allow us to change the stock code to do the things we want.

So There ! :blink:

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

There's nothing wrong with using contributions/mods/add-ons from others. Either they should be from someone you know and trust, or you should go over them with a fine-toothed comb to make sure there's nothing nasty hidden in there. Even then, you need to understand PHP and maybe other stuff to be sure that, while there's nothing malicious, that it's not so poorly coded that it's going to cause all sorts of problems. In the end, you save much of the time you would have taken to research, design, and code the changes yourself, so it's usually worth it. Caveat Emptor.

Well anyway...back to the original question, as stated no. Not officially anyway.

My approval process for add ons fall on my shoulders. I take a little bit of coding knowledge and theory (from another language), mix it with a few years of interacting with other on the forum, observe posts about what's working and what to look out for, actually learn some php coding itself, common sense and plain old good luck and I am pretty content with the add on's I have installed.

I've installed bad ones...ooops...then uninstall or even start from a full backup if its' a big oops, but all part of the game.

I'm here part for business and part that the whole thing fascinates me..coding, SQL, SEO (love it or leave it) and so on.

I say be your own approval process, you will learn and grow.

All that being said, I'm heading to Burt's site now for some great tips and tricks on running an osc site!!

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.