• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Payment method charges

oxwivi

There is a payment surcharge contribution that is meant for that. Though be careful in how you word the text it adds since some providers won't allow you to charge extra for their services and if they see it, they may cancel your account.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hopefully PayPal aren't one of those. Their percentage slices dig in quite a bit with large transactions.

Couple of question about this addon:

• How do I name any payment method at all? By default it shows 'moneyorder'. Where can I find the payment method name that I can use in in the Payment Type box?
  • What's the minimum fee exactly? Minimum amount that will be charged regardless of the percentage calculation?

Paypal do mention in their terms of service that sellers are not allowed to add additional fees to cover charges. If you do add something to cover these sharges be carefull what you call it. If a customer claims a chargeback and paypal see these fees they may question them. The choice is yours. I personally add a very small charge to the shipping costs for packaging and paypal fees are included in here, but not really enough to cover the true cost.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Paypal do not allow you to surcharge a customer for paying via paypal.

UNLESS:

The law of where you domicile specifically allows you to surcharge in this manner.

No company, whatever they say, can overrule the law of your country.

You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

That is taken from the Paypal Terms today (02 May 2012).

In the UK it is slightly different

In representations to your customers or in public communications, you agree not to mischaracterise or disparage PayPal as a payment method. You agree that you will only surcharge for the use of PayPal in compliance with any law applicable to you. You further agree that if you do charge a buyer any form of surcharge that you, and not PayPal, will inform the buyer of the requested charge. PayPal has no liability to any buyer where you have failed to inform the buyer of any surcharge. You acknowledge that if you are permitted to surcharge and your further fail to disclose any form of surcharge to a buyer this may constitute a criminal offence by you.

Note the original version of the first quote;

No Surcharges. Under Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express regulations and the laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge a fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a "surcharge"). You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment. This restriction does not prevent you from imposing a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge (in other words, the handling fee for transactions paid through PayPal may not be higher than the handling fee for transactions paid through other payment methods). Nor does this restriction apply to Pound-denominated transactions by sellers residing in the United Kingdom listing items for sale on a UK-based website.

Note the part in bold, that Paypal have removed. They have then obfuscated the issue with legalese.

In essence, if the law where you trade allows you to surcharge, then Paypal can do nothing about it.

• 2 months later...

Legalese aside, PayPal doesn't seem to register the extra percentage added with the order total module mentioned in the second post. Can anyone help me with this? If I'm not mistaken, all the totals and subtotals are calculated at the third step, but pressing continue in the second step of my setup goes directly to PayPal.

• 1 month later...

Archived