• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

spam alert

GemRock

how can it be possible for spammers to post so many spams in short period of time and it hasnt been stopped???

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

@@GemRock

Spammers are intentionally targeting this forum when they KNOW there are no moderators present. A request to have a moderator in North America to prevent this has fallen on deaf ears. In the meantime, spammers reign and the website is experiencing periods of downtime because of excessive server loads caused by the spammers and search engines indexing those bad links.

Chris

Mark Evans is online (or not?) while this is happening, and he cannot do anything about it???

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

would it be hard for other non-moderators, people with enough credentials eg number of posts to block spammer ?

are all links removed automatically when the spammer is blocked ?

that way the real moderator can actually moderate and not waste his/her time on spammers

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

If they don't care enough to scatter some moderators across time zones, maybe they could put in some <meta> tags to ask search engines to crawl only once a day? If it's going to take up to 12 hours to clear spam, that might keep spam posts from getting indexed, and spammers might lose interest.

@@MrPhil

There are many possible solutions, all of which I am sure have been suggested........but, suggestions are just that.....suggestions. They can take them or leave them.

Chris

A simple way of making Spammers loose interest in the forum would be to add in a filter for external links.

It could for instance deal with them in any of these way.

1 - Remove them.

or

2 - Make them into plain text

or

3 - Make all external links into local links to a redirect page which in-turn redirects to the intended link via a timed javascript.

For spammers can do that crap so quickly because they use tools and software designed for that ... designed to make the internet a little worse ...

An Exceptional ways to stop spam is to use a captcha built with flash

Regards

CAPTCHA is rapidly becoming useless. It's better than nothing, and will stop some bots, but most spammers are now either using sophisticated bots that can read a CAPTCHA as well as any human, or they're using spam farms of people who do nothing but register on sites all day long, and pass the IDs to spambots. So anyway, don't expect a CAPTCHA, even one done in Flash, to be a silver bullet.

Notice the daily spam attack urging us to watch various TV shows? Somebody had better get on the ball and block IP addresses. Are they still all coming from Bangladesh? Just block the whole country if most of its traffic is from spammers. There's got to be some way to block them. How about a custom module for the forum that looks for the common keywords "watch", "episode", etc. and "accepts" the posting, but then throws it away or holds it for approval? Maybe osC needs to move to better forum software?

Why not as Carine suggest and have a few known names as spambusters (with no other privileges than moving spam into the dump forum).

This has been suggested, but continues to be ignored.

Chris

SPAM????

Isn't that an acronym for "Squirrels Possum And Mice"?

:huh:

Let that visual sink in next time you shop for canned meat at the supermarket....

:x

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

@@germ

Let that visual sink in next time you shop for canned meat at the supermarket....

Ok, I usually don't spend a whole lot of time cooking and try to get it over with as fast as I can, but I would never buy CANNED MEAT :x

Chris

Archived