• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Little bit of code cleanup help

douglaswalker

Hi there

the piece of code below is from product_info.php. It is to show an instock out of stock sign and a link to the contact page which includes which product the enquiry is about. This code works

The code looks very messy to me and I think there are more <?php tags than are needed ?> and also I think it should be if and else not elseif.

Also I don't think the second stock check is necessary as it is an either or situation.

Could someone give me a hand as I keep breaking it and getting things in the wrong place.

i would just like to clean it up.

<!--bof stock announcement-->
<?php
if ((STOCK_CHECK == 'true')&&($product_info['products_quantity'] < 1)) { ?>
<b><font color='red'size='5'>Sorry We Have Sold Out</font></b><br>
<?php  echo '<b><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CONTACT_US,'products_name=' .$product_info['products_name']) . '">' .tep_image_button('button_ask_a_question.gif',IMAGE_BUTTON_ASK_A_QUESTION) .'</a>'; ?>
<?php
}elseif ((STOCK_CHECK == 'true')&&($product_info['products_quantity'] > 0)) { ?>
<font color='green'size='4'><b>In Stock </b></font>
<?php
} ?>
<!--eof stock announcement-->

Yes, it can be cleaned up if all the switching in and out of PHP bugs you...

<?php
if (STOCK_CHECK == 'true' && $product_info['products_quantity'] < 1) {
 echo "<b><font color='red'size='5'>Sorry We Have Sold Out</font></b><br>\n";
 echo '<b><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CONTACT_US, 'products_name=' . $product_info['products_name']) . '">' . tep_image_button('button_ask_a_question.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_ASK_A_QUESTION) . "</a>\n";
} elseif (STOCK_CHECK == 'true' && $product_info['products_quantity'] > 0) {
 echo "<font color='green'size='4'><b>In Stock </b></font>\n";
}
?>

And please keep indentation when posting code (within [ code ] tags). "elseif" is a standard, valid PHP construct. If it bugs you, "else if" should be an acceptable replacement. Note that there is no "else" clause here -- coders should be careful to check that nothing happening, if none of the "ifs" fire, is acceptable. I also like to end HTML lines with \n so that the lines are not all run together on the browser source listing (requires use of " instead of ').

<?php
if (STOCK_CHECK == 'true') {
 $message = '<font color="green" size="4"><b>In Stock </b></font>';
 if ($product_info['products_quantity'] <= 0) {
$message = '<b><font color="red" size="5">Sorry We Have Sold Out</font></b><br>';
$message .= '<b><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CONTACT_US,'products_name=' .$product_info['products_name']) . '">' . tep_image_button('button_ask_a_question.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_ASK_A_QUESTION) .'</a>';
 }
 echo $message;
}
?>

Would also work similarly I think (untested).

Hi

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer I really appreciate it.

Both codes do the job well.

Is there any reason why you would use on over the other... or is it just personal preference.

Doug

I'd use the version i posted simply because it's the logical structure that I feel is easiest to understand, for the average person.

I do believe (though I have not tested) that a product with zero in stock would not show the "out of stock" message on your original code or Phils cleanup of it.

Assuming that `0 stock` is an oversight on your part, then you do not need to test $product_info['products_quantity'] twice. You certainly don't need to test STOCK_CHECK twice...

Hi Burt

thanks for that. I am using your code and tested with Phils <1 in place of <=0

It is all working well and <1 does the job.

Less than one is 0 and below or am I missing something?

Once again many thanks

Doug :blink:

Assuming product_quantity == 0, both the original and my revision should work. 1 or more should be "in stock". < 0 probably won't happen, but should be treated the same as 0. I'm assuming that product_quantity is an integer amount.

@@burt, please explain your contention that product_quantity of 0 won't work in the original code or my revision.

@@burt, please explain your contention that product_quantity of 0 won't work in the original code or my revision.

No need - my mistake :D

"I do believe (though I have not tested) that a product with zero in stock would not show the "out of stock" message on your original code or Phils cleanup of it. "

That will teach me not to be reading multiple threads at once :-\

Archived