• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Weight measurement issues

Tenfoldcac

i am using the following shipping module: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8350

here's the situation:

I am trying to set up this module so that when customers add items to the cart it will automatically calculate a shipping/handling cost for them.

The problem i am having is i am unsure what form of measurement the add-on and products use (i use grams/kilograms being Australian)

some of my products only weigh about 2.5-3.0 grams, so in the shipping module i put 0200:2.50 (200 grams = $2.50) and in the item i add 0003 (3 grams), but when i save the product it automatically changes it from 0003 to 3.0 (resulting in the postage being calculated to $17.50), and then it doesn't work properly with the module and i get inaccurate shipping prices.

i've tried many combinations and none seem to work, so does anyone know how i can configure the weight correctly?

To me it seems like the product and the shipping module use two different kinds of measurement but in all honesty i don't know.

I am rather new to osCommerce and all things to do with it so all help would be appreciated.

I run an OSC store here http://www.justgolf.com.au/ and have been having issues as well. There is an Australian shipping module which you can easily install but it adds up the shipping when it doesn't need to. I.e. if a customer buys 2 items it will charge them twice for shipping when with most of my products I can combine shipping.

Currently I'm just adding the shipping into the total price and advertising it as free shipping. I've also found this which may be of use http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4129

3 grams would be 0.003, not 0.0003, if the unit is kg. 0003 should be read in as integer 3 (possibly as octal, so be careful with leading 0's!). 0200 may well be read as decimal 128 if a leading 0 forces octal. Try it without leading 0's on integers.

thanks for all your input everyone, it's very much appreciated.

However i am still having some issues getting this to work correctly.

now i keep testing it with different number combinations to get it to work but still to no avail.

for example, i have set the product weight at 3.00 and in the shipping module i have set it to 15.00 :0.75, so in theory if i add a quantity of 5 to my cart it should show as $0.75 postage, however it shows as $2.00

i tried setting it to 3.00 and 15:0.75, again so it would show as $0.75 postage but it shows as $0.00

also i tried setting the shipping module to 0015:0.75 but when i listed the product weight as 0003 it changed it to 3.00 automatically

The issue i seem to find is the product automatically adds a decimal point into the weight regardless of what i put in, where as the shipping module doesn't work with decimal points for some reason, and when i try something like 3.00 for the product and 15:0.75 for the item or any other combination the postage price goes haywire and doesn't give an accurate price.

I am almost convinced that the product and the shipping module use two different kinds of measurements (ie. products uses grams/kilo's while the shipping module uses pounds or something)

I am at the point i am pulling my hair out because i have been trying absolutely everything i can think of but nothing seems to work.