• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Integrating osCommerce with Microsoft Dynamics NAV

magram79

Hi,

My name is Magnus and I work at an accounting company in Stockholm. I have a request from a client that has a webshop on your platform. The client wants to integrate it with our accounting software, Microsoft Dynamics NAV. I just wondered if there are people out there who knows if this is hard to do or if there are already built connectors (we are using the RTC client and NAV 2009 for those of you who know NAV...). Is it possible to get out a file from osCommerce containing all the transactions and read it into NAV, maybe that's a more cost effective solution?

I will ask our NAV partner who has experience in this area (not sure if they have experience in osCommerce though), but I wanted some independent advice or thoughts as well.

Thank you very much, any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Magnus

Unfortunately, osCommerce was architected as a completely stand-alone system. No considerations were made for importing data from, or exporting data to, external systems (or interfacing with accounting, inventory control, or POS/brick and mortar sales/telephone sales systems). That said, there should be ways to get to the data you want. Worst case, you can export selected tables from its MySQL database in CSV format, for further processing and reading into NAV. You could write a PHP script to read the database itself and export data in the desired format, and run this script on a regular basis (e.g., a cron job). There are interfaces and bridges to remotely access a MySQL database (if the hosting service permits), so NAV might even be tailored to look directly in the store database.

As for what data is available, it may be fairly limited as to what an accounting system may be looking for. For example, I don't believe that various taxes are listed separately. Customer order information is fairly limited. Inventory is kept updated, but you would have to compare inventory at various time intervals to see overall sales.

What might be better, in order to get the kind of information that an accounting system needs to track, is to send an additional copy of the sales invoice email to the accounting system. Parse it to get inventory changes, sales amounts, taxes collected, and tax jurisdiction information (for remittances) and update the accounting data, rather than trying to figure out these things from the osC database. It would be possible to instead generate a data file (perhaps XML) directly usable by accounting, rather than parsing a human-readable email.

Archived