• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Multi Vendor for 2.3.1

Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie to osCommerce but have been using Zen Cart for years. I decided to give osCommerce a go as I wanted to be able to use osCommerce with a Multi Vendor add on ... I found this one:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7723

But it's for Version 3. Is there something like this (i.e. very basic - I'm not needing something complicated) that works for version 2.3 - and/or has anyone modified this to work in 2.3?

Thanks!

• 6 years later...

@abd

Since you are new here, you may not have realized that DigiScrapDeal posted this thread 6 years ago, and has not been back here since.

1) The add-on s/he initially referenced was written for osCommerce v3.0, which was never released as a finished product. v3.0 has a very different code base than v2.3.4.x, and add-ons written for it almost certainly will not work with v2.3.4.1 without some major changes.

2) In his second post, s/he referenced another thread where people also wanted assistance with adapting it to osC 2.3.x. There wasn't much help there either.

If you are unable to adapt this add-on to your store, you can post a RFQ in the commercial part of this forum to see if you can hire someone to do this for you.

Lastly, if you are using the 'official' v2.3.4.1 version of osC, please note that it is very much out of date! The osCommerce project was lead by one person that had been absent for quite some time. In his absence, the "community" has continued with the development of osC. Unfortunately, that one missing person is the only one that can make this continued development an 'official' release.

The 'Community Edition' (also called osC-CE (for Community Edition), osC-BS (for Bootstrap, the platform it is based on), osC-Edge, osC-Final, and/or osC-Frozen. These are all different names for the same thing) is a big improvement over the last 'official' v2.3.4 release in a number of ways:

A) It is responsive. This means that it will adjust the screen layout depending on the size of the screen of your customer's device. This is very important in this day of mobile devices. The 'official' version is not responsive.

B) It will work with the newer version of PHP, the scripting language used in osC. As more and more hosts upgrade their servers to PHP 7.x, older versions of osC will crash.

C) It is much more modular. This means that you can turn features on or off, or even add new features, all without touching the core code.

You can find a link to the latest version of the Community Edition in my signature below.

Malcolm