• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Product Sort osc 2.3

ggrant3

I installed the Product Sort Order Contribution for osc 2.3 and it seems to sort the products order in the admin side of my shop but not the customer side of the shop.

I just ran through the install again and made sure everything was done right and everything is correct.

It seems like on the customer side the standard osc sort order is dominating the layout and it is always defaulting to the Product name. But my products are listed but size so I really need to sort the way I want.

For example, my items are listed 3x5', 4x6', 5x8'.... but on the customer side the 10x15' items show first because the 10x15' products "appear" to osc to be a lower value than 3x5'

Do you have any ideas on what I can do here? Is there a way to change the default sort command for the shop? Or is there a way to disable the stock osc sort order command completely and let your contribution take over?

**Also**

I have been poking around and noticed something that "may" be my issue, or at least related to it.

I noticed the contribution has 2 images (button_sort_order.gif and button_save_sort.gif) with the install.txt file.

I checked and I did copy the images to the correct folder (admin/includes/languages/english/images/buttons) but they never appear anywhere.

Here is what I do when I attempt to sort the items:

-Click on a category

-Click on a sub-category

-Click on "Edit" (down next to "back" "new category" "new product" buttons).

-Enter my preferred order in the boxes next to each product.

-Click on "update"

I never see the two buttons that are included in the contribution. Where should they show up? Could this be the problem since I don't have an option to click "Save Sort"? But it does sort the items on the Admin side, it just doesn't match on the customer side.

Checking the install instructions again I see it says:

---------------------------------

admin/includes/languages/english

Add before last ?>

define('IMAGE_SORT_ORDER', 'Enter Sort Order');

define('IMAGE_SAVE_SORT', 'Save Sort Order');

----------------------------------

which I did, but they don't show up anywhere.

And I am wondering now if maybe that is why the sort order is not being transferred over to the customer side?

In the above instructions it states "admin/includes/languages/english" that final location "english" is suppose to reflect the english.php file, right? Or is it suppose to be the "english" folder and perhaps a file that is inside that english folder which was left out of the instructions?

Yes, you should add these lines to english.php. It works for me.

You have entered different numbers in the fields for sort order for the products you want to sort, and then pressed "save"?

osCommerce 2.3.1 - QTPro 4.6.1 - Ultimate SEO URL's 5 Pro r205 - Discount Code 3.1 - Column listing with smart columns - Products Sort and some more

Yes, you should add these lines to english.php. It works for me.

You have entered different numbers in the fields for sort order for the products you want to sort, and then pressed "save"?

Yes, I change the values in "sort" boxes and then that section re-loads and the order is reflected the way I want. But on the catalog side nothing changes.

I don't get a "save" button I get an 'update" button (which isn't even part of the package from what I can see in the file). But when I click on that it reorganizes the products.

• 6 months later...

I've recently installed the Sept 2012 version of this addon on my 2.3.1 test server, and I'm thrilled to have found it. I only had minor issues installing it, one being when I used CTRL+F to find a code segment to replace. My code used the "strong" tag, while the segment specified in the instructions used "bold" tags, or vice versa.

The sorting itself works like a dream, and I've had no issues with either the admin or the storefront, as far as errors, but I do have one problem with it that I can't seem to work out.

At first, I thought it was just the links for the "Result Pages:" links, but after poking around a bit, I find that it's also the column header links. The breadcrumb and individual product links work fine.

The problem is that the column header and result pages links all 403. The reference to the index is replaced with what I assume is the category structure provided by cPath.

When I mouseover the "next page" link, I see the following path:

domain.com/catalog/23_163_35_204/cPath/23_163_35_204/sort/6a/page/2 This link will 403.

After comparing the link to the live site, which has not undergone the Product Sort / Order mod, I immediately realized what the error was:

domain.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/23_163_35_204/sort/2a/page/2

I went back to the test server and replaced the first "23_163_35_204" with "index.php", left everything else alone, and the resulting page worked, including the retention of the Product Sort weighting.

I understand almost enough about OSC to be dangerous to myself. I've got an idea of what it's doing, but I don't know enough to fix this. I'm assuming the fix would be in the index, and I've looked at it carefully, but I lack the knowledge to move any further. I've got a PM in to geoffreywalton, and if resolution comes there, I will copy it to this thread.

@@Supertex

This is incorrect ! domain.com/catalog/23_163_35_204/cPath/23_163_35_204/sort/6a/page/2

In admin>> configuration>> my store>> TURN OFF "Use search engine safe URL's". This option has NEVER worked and should NOT be in future releases of osCommerce, however the core development team doesn't seem to agree.

Chris

That did in fact make the links work correctly again on the test site.

Thank you very much.

Could you perhaps take a moment though, and explain what caused that setting + this addon to break the site in such a way? The live site still has 'safe URL's' active (but not the product sort addon), and it seems to work fine. When I looked over the code changes in the addon, I just didn't see what it was that caused the substitution of the catalog group in place of the index.

I'm going to nose around and see what I can learn about the safe URL setting in general.

Any idea what happened to the "Buy Now" image column? Is the Product Sort an invisible column to the storefront but somehow bumping that off ?

Add to cart is, in fact getting pushed off the right side. I re-weighted the column and it will show up in column 5, but not 6. I'll toy around with it and see if I can't get the column spacing set to show everything correctly.

@@Supertex

Search engine safe URL's has NEVER been a working function in osCommerce and will always take down your site. The addition of the sort order contribution and the failure are just coincidental. The sort field is NOT a column at all, it is just how the products are displayed depending on your settings in the database. (as set in the admin area) There is no physical column created for the sort order.

Chris