• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Credit cards charged, but no record in Admin

WoodsWalker

Hi All,

It's been a couple of years since I posted, but I have an active osCommerce store that's been up since 2008. Things ran entirely smoothly for a number of years.

Lately I have increasing problems with payments. My payment processor is Moneris, and payment details are entered by the customer right on my site, so the customer never leaves and comes back.

Problem #1: This is the really bad one. Occasionally a customer places an order, their CC is charged, but there is no record in Admin. I've disabled emails to try to fix this, on the advice of other threads, but it's still happening. Weeks go by with no foul-ups, and then suddenly two transactions in a row will do this. Often by the time we detect this, the customer has gone off and ordered from another company, and we end up having to refund their card. NO FUN! One of our customers reported that, when this happened, he kept getting redirected back to the payment page (never saw the payment_success page). So he kept trying. The Credit card company recorded an Accepted transaction, followed by five Declines. OsCommerce recorded nothing (checked the database too).

Problem #2: May be a separate problem, but sometimes successful transactions are doubled, not in Admin, but on the credit card end (Admin records one sale, but card is charged twice).

Clusters of these occurrences tend to happen at the same time. Then we have weeks with no issues.

Any clues? As I've said, I've disabled emails, and I've also examined and removed anything extraneous from payment_success that might cause it to time-out or not load.

Thanks for any guidance!

~Wendy

Might be that the customer have "double" clicked on the confirm order button or pressed "refresh" in their browser while the payment was processing.

Hi Nick!

Yes, I know this is the wild card - customer behaviour. :blink: I do wonder why it would have started happening "all of a sudden" a few months ago. Still, I think between customers double-clicking, possibly a crowded server at my service provider, a "crowded internet" and other potential factors, there are probably multiple reasons for my problem. Probably more than one factor comes into play in each occurrence.

Things did seem to improve a lot after I disabled the order confirmation email and cleaned up my checkout_success page, which didn't really involve much change to that file but more change to the column_left file, where I had placed a site seal for my SSL. Like many site seals that lead to outside servers, this one made my pages load slowly. Now it's only on my "Welcome page."

Well, that's all I can think of. Perhaps I'll post a little note reminding customers to only click once.

If anyone else has a tip, please post!

Thanks again Nick.

~Wendy

Archived