• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Old 2.2 database info to new 2.3.1 database

jhande

Before I start messing with my XAMPP versions and old localhost files (2.2), I was wondering what would be the best way to transfer my old database info to the new 2.3.1 database?

So far I have found:

The 2.3.1 upgrade_guide.pdf only mentions - "Update database table column field lengths".

GitHub references the same but I noticed that the new 2.3.1 database might include more tables, such as administrators.

I also see here that the character encoding has changed from Latin_1 to UTF_8_general_ci.

I'm not really a wiz with MySQL and/or phpMyadmin but was wondering if instead of making a copy of my exsisting database, adding tables, changing field values, etc... If I could just export and then import the necessary imformation.

A point in the right direction would be highly appreciated!

Sorry if this has been cover before, I tried searching but found nothing. :blink:

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

There are basically 2 ways...

1. Amend you existing db to have all the required tables and fields for 2.3.1

or

2. Import the required data into a fresh 2.3.1 db (you will need to make a data "export" file from your old db which conforms to and can be imported into the 2.3.1 db)

I did it the 1) way, used mysqldiff to see the difference and apply changes between my database and a clean install, ofcourse only compared table structures

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

#1 is the better way. There are actually very few differences between a stock 22 and 231 db. From memory a couple of length changes to some varchars, an extra column in reviews, product_images are now handled differently.

If you do it the #1 way, then you have all the addon database stuff already in the database - so when you do eventually then get around to adding the addon back into your 231 fileset, the DB stuff is already there.

The only issue with doing it the #1 way is the product images. Most of the older extra images contributions wrote the extra images to the products table. It is quite straightforward to grab these and iinsert into the newly created prodycts_images table for 231.

Archived