• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Which SEO URL's and Header Tags with osC 2.3.1?

jhande

Ultimate Seo Urls 5 PRO by FWR Media / 21 Mar 2011

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7704/v,23

Ultimate SEO URLs by Jack_mcs / 15 Jan 2011

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/2823

KissMT Dynamic SEO Meta & Canonical Header Tags by FWR Media / 23 Dec 2010

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7707/v,23

Header Tags SEO V 3.0 by Jack_mcs / 29 Jan 2012

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5851/

Also any idea's as to what USPS module I should use?

Or any other suggestions.

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

Jack_mcs stuff is my preference.

I had SEO URLS 5 installed but ran into an issue with the Google Product Feeder, found that it was related to this mod, so I had to roll it back and installed jacks' which I would have done in the first place had I been paying attention.

Both are people are expert coders and great people on the forums, I just have used Jack's stuff since I started with Oscommerce 8 years ago and it has served me well.

There is no right one, just preferences.

Hope that helps.

For urls and meta tags i would suggest you go with Jack_mcs versions, just because he is still actively developing/supporting them.

Thank you both Don and Nick.

I feel slightly old school here too and kind of wanted to stick with Jacks versions.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

I'm feeling like an osC newb again. :blush:

Jacks add ons win every time. He updates them all, and they will all work together. More importantly he will also spend time in the specific help threads giving help and advice should you encounter problems.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Thanks Steve :thumbsup:

Jack and I go way back... he has helped me a lot.

I was leaning towards his contributions, just wanted to make sure!

Thanks again.

The FWR Media stuff has better code, but it seems they are no longer being maintained/supported by the author. ( FWR Media Last Active Aug 22 2011, 09:32 )

So for non-coders its recommended to stick with Jack_mcs versions.

If you are code savy on the other hand then you will probably prefer FWR Media's versions.

Needless to say, I'm quite curious as to how one judges "better code." Please explain what it is that makes my code inferior so that I can fix it, if needed.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

The FWR Media stuff has better code, but it seems they are no longer being maintained/supported by the author. ( FWR Media Last Active Aug 22 2011, 09:32 )

That is true. Unfortunately Rob left the community.

So for non-coders its recommended to stick with Jack_mcs versions.

I still recommend non-coders to go with the better coded version.

Jack; One judges better code, by being a coder, working with code day in and day out. What do I prefer to work with? FWR. All you need to do is look at the difference in code between yours and FWR, and as a coder, you should be able to see exactly why I say that FWR's is superior in every aspect to yours. FWR's is written cleanly, it is modular, it requires very few code edits to get working. What also turned me off of all your stuff is your inability to deal with bugs in a cleanly coded manner, whereas FWR deals with his quickly and cleanly (yes, even now, even though he is not active here).

This is my opinion only; as you can read, you have a couple of non-coders and a well known coder who recommend yours over FWR. So, try not to get too twisted up over it.

Jack; One judges better code, by being a coder, working with code day in and day out. What do I prefer to work with? FWR. All you need to do is look at the difference in code between yours and FWR, and as a coder, you should be able to see exactly why I say that FWR's is superior in every aspect to yours. FWR's is written cleanly, it is modular, it requires very few code edits to get working. What also turned me off of all your stuff is your inability to deal with bugs in a cleanly coded manner, whereas FWR deals with his quickly and cleanly (yes, even now, even though he is not active here).

This is my opinion only; as you can read, you have a couple of non-coders and a well known coder who recommend yours over FWR. So, try not to get too twisted up over it.

LOL. Not twisted at all. Trully, just curious. I stand behind my code. Now that I see your reasons though, I understand the statement.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

No worries Jack... I'm still a faithful user/follower of your contributions. :shifty:

If you are starting a store from scratch with V2.3, you should also consider the built in code that there now is for header tags, together with a contribution like Modular header tags

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7646

There is no guarantee that a script writer supporting a contribution today, will be around doing the same tomorrow. Also, just because a script writer is no longer part of the community, is no reason to no longer use their code. It is still something to build off of.

If you are starting a store from scratch with V2.3, you should also consider the built in code that there now is for header tags, together with a contribution like Modular header tags

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7646

I was unaware of any built-in header tags. Thanks, will take a look.

There is no guarantee that a script writer supporting a contribution today, will be around doing the same tomorrow. Also, just because a script writer is no longer part of the community, is no reason to no longer use their code. It is still something to build off of.

Very true.

I just feel more comfortable when the writer is available and offers help when trying to add their code.

Thanks Ashley...

Since my previous shop used SEO URL's I'd like to use it again and hopefully get back on Google's first page results as before.

:thumbsup:

Archived