• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Where to start or what to do... which version?

jhande

My site has been down for some time and I'm thinking of going live again.

Here's my dilemma...

My site is version 2.2 MS2 060817 with updates and security patches from the RC1 upgrade notes plus contributions (among other custom changes). I have also added other posted updates/patches. I had to disable FWR Security Pro as it caused glitches and problems. While the site was live for years (about six+ months ago) I never encountered any hacks, maybe I was just lucky.

I had installed osC version 2.3.1 on my machine (localhost) running XAMPP version 1.6.1.

It froze and was slow with page loads. Also there's a huge learning curve in changing the layout/design of it. I lost track of and can't find the topic that was discussing the slow loading issue and never found a cure.

The only thing I need to try and implement is to have certain products (categories) with free shipping while others have shipping cost involved.

Not sure what I should do for the site, should I...

Leave it as is?

Update it to RC2 and then 2.3.1?

Or bite the bullet and start from scratch with 2.3.1? (less desirable option)

My wife would like her own site for her own product line. The only thing she needs different would be multiple images on the product page.

Both sites need (besides current security issues addressed) PayPal (website payment standard) and USPS shipping (USA only).

Of course I would like to redesign both sites so they are not “vanilla” but the grid system really confuses the heck out of me so far.

I’d appreciate any and all pointers and advice.

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

Jim. Go 2.3.1, utilising your existing 2.2 database. So, to be clear;

1. update your 2.2 database so that it is usable with 2.3.1. This means adding a few entries, a couple of tables and so on.

2. install 2.3.1

3. install any contributions you need

4. make a new look. There are freely/commercially available;

templates

a mini theme system

an ebook tutorial

many blog posts explaining 960 usage

You are at the perfect place to jump straight to 2.3.1. Forget about updating to rc2, complete waste of time.

Thank you Gary!

That is what I thought I might have to do.

Will I have to install such contributions as:

Header Tags SEO

Ultimate SEO URL's

PayPal IPN

(any other important ones?)

Do you know if the More Category Boxes contribution will work?

Header Tags SEO

Ultimate SEO URL's

Only if you want to. If your existing site has entries in Google, then it's important in my opinion to keep the URL structure exactly the same. To prevent 404.

PayPal IPN

Use the paypal website payments standard, which is an IPN module.

Do you know if the More Category Boxes contribution will work?

Don't see why not. Would have to be recoded to suit the 2.3.1 structure.

Try to get out of the closed mindset of 2.2, and instead look at the possibilities that a new start brings.

Thank you so much again Gary!

I just wasn't sure if any of the aforementioned contributions became part of the newer version (such as the SEO's).

I liked how the More Category Boxes seperated my "main" categories. I'll have a look to see what might need changing.

I have been Googling and reading 960 grid tutorials so hopefully I can get my mind wrapped around it. It's starting to make sense... a little.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Archived