• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Column width affecting body width

ggrant3

I found how to adjust the width of the left and right columns in 2.3.1 in this thread

But it seems to take away from and reduce the body (center) of the shop width, the wider I make the columns the smaller the center of the shop becomes.

And there is a decent amount of white space on the outside of the columns that I would like to reduce.

Now that I have the columns the width I like, how would I go about widening the body/center of the shop? I have searched but maybe I am using the wrong terminology because the only results I have been able to dig up are from 2005, and those certainly don't refer to 2.3.1

@@ggrant3

You should read up on the 960 grid system as changing ONE item in the grid adversely affects the others.

Chris

I saw that same type of response in other threads so I have already gone over there and poked around but didn't find anything that helped me.

So after your post I went over again and read a bunch of "back story" "how I came up with the grid system layout" type of stuff that still did not help me much either.

The only thing I think I may have learned (which I have no idea if I am right or not yet) is that osc 2.3.1 runs with a 24 column grid. But I can't see anything that helps to teach me what needs to be adjusted to affect what my goal is.

So perhaps a little help on exactly what section I should be looking at on that site would help.

The total with is divided into 24 grids.

Now you can decide how many of them to use for the columns, the rest will be for the content. Eg, if you say that you want the columns to be 5 grids each, then the content will be 14

Total must be always 24 as described here

There is not much more to read about this, it's about to understand the logic. The more space you give to the columns, the less you have for the content and vice versa.

In other words, the width you are setting is a relative with, columns related to content

The total with is an other story, here it goes about how many pixels each grid should be. It can be eg 20 pixels, so the total is 20x24 = 480 or it can be 50 pixels so total is 50x24 = 1200. To change this you need to change the overall store width, illustrated instructions here

You see, here are 2 things to decide

- What should the total width be? (how many pixels for each grid?)

- What should the relation between column/content width be (how many of the 24 grids you have to give to the columns?)

The total with is divided into 24 grids.

Now you can decide how many of them to use for the columns, the rest will be for the content. Eg, if you say that you want the columns to be 5 grids each, then the content will be 14

Total must be always 24 as described here

There is not much more to read about this, it's about to understand the logic. The more space you give to the columns, the less you have for the content and vice versa.

In other words, the width you are setting is a relative with, columns related to content

Yes I understand the concept and that it is sort of a "give and take" type of thing, but I am just lost on how to make the adjustments in my osc 2.3.1 store and every time someone posts the link to the 960 page it doesn't really lead me to the information I was searching for. (That wasn't a shot at you Chris, I appreciate you at least responding to my post)

Because I was looking for an explanation of how it is setup in osc 2.3.1 specifically. And that site seems to have a bunch of "I came up with this format while I was ......." and how the creator thinks it will make everyone's life easier, blah..blah...blah.

But nothing in regards to how it is setup in osc 2.3.1 and how or where to make modifications to change things around.

The total with is an other story, here it goes about how many pixels each grid should be. It can be eg 20 pixels, so the total is 20x24 = 480 or it can be 50 pixels so total is 50x24 = 1200. To change this you need to change the overall store width, illustrated instructions here

You see, here are 2 things to decide

- What should the total width be? (how many pixels for each grid?)

- What should the relation between column/content width be (how many of the 24 grids you have to give to the columns?)

I just took a quick glance at the second link you posted and I think that will help me. I will have to play with the steps later when I have time.

Archived