• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

An error occured with the UPS shipping calculations

ludachris

I have an old 2.2 MS2 installation that I'm working on. The site had been redirecting the product pages to an external sister site for about 6 years so that the online purchase could be made on that site. As far as I've been told, before the redirect was implemented, online ordering for this installation was working fine. I'm now trying to strip out the redirects and allow online purchases through this site once again. I got to the point where I'm trying to submit a test order and have run into a shipping calculation error on the checkout_shipping.html page - I get this error message under the Shipping Method heading on the Delivery Information step of the process:

"An error occured with the UPS shipping calculations.

error"

It's spitting out a UPS error, but no explanation of the error like I've found others getting with this type of error, and after hours of searching I haven't been able to find any information on a possible fix. This site only has the UPS shipping module installed. I've verified the settings match our sister site for the UPS module. What steps should I take to trouble shoot this? Remove the module and install again maybe?

A quick update - we have 2 other sites that are using 2.2 mS2, all of our sites are using the basic ups.php v1.54 module for shipping. I've tried uploading a good working ups.php file from our other error-free installations and it didn't fix the issue on this site. I see most people are using the UPS XML module now though.

Edited by ludachris

Alright so here's where I'm at now... since I still cannot find a way to troubleshoot this problem I just tried installing UPS Choice, since it's the closest thing to what we're using on our other two sites. It has not fixed the problem. UPS is still not returning rates at checkout. Is UPS Choice still a viable module to use these days? Or has everyone moved on to UPS XML? I installed version 1.8.3 and uncommented the email address in the module file to receive emails with the UPS results, which are coming back blank. It's obviously not connecting to UPS.

I made sure the store postal code is correct in the shipping configuration section and the products I'm testing have weights greater than zero. I've done everything I can to ensure that the site is configured correctly. I'm completely stuck at this point and have considered trying the XML module but it seems quite a bit more complicated to install. And I really don't want to be forced to run a different shipping module than we have running on our other two sites. I just don't know what the hell to do here, everything I search for comes up empty, and I can't get anyone to reply.

Can someone please reply and give me some insight on what to try next? This has been a disaster so far.

Are you running this site on the same server as the other sites? Some hosts block HTTP calls to a remote server for security reasons.

UPS stopped supporting the old HTTP interface some time ago. I'm somewhat surprised it still works at all. I suggest using the XML module, since that is the currently supported interface. It's not all that hard to install.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Are you running this site on the same server as the other sites? Some hosts block HTTP calls to a remote server for security reasons.

UPS stopped supporting the old HTTP interface some time ago. I'm somewhat surprised it still works at all. I suggest using the XML module, since that is the currently supported interface. It's not all that hard to install.

Regards

Jim

No, the site is on its own server. I'm trying to find out from someone here at the office if there might be an SSL cert conflict. If the site doesn't have a valid ssl cert associated with it? Would that cause problems? I'm trying to install UPSXML now and and running into the same problem - rates aren't showing. For some reason the site simply will not communicate with UPS.com.

Edit upsxml.php around line 111 to enable logging. Don't forget to create the log file and give it write permissions. Run a test order and check the log file.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Edit upsxml.php around line 111 to enable logging. Don't forget to create the log file and give it write permissions. Run a test order and check the log file.

Regards

Jim

I did that, but the log files aren't getting anything written to them. Actually, one of them is getting spaces written to it. Again, it seems UPS is not returning anything, not even error messages.

Wait, I cleared the files and saved them again and got this in the upsxml_error.og file:

2012-02-28 23:58:11 cURL Error [7]: couldn't connect to host 4297

2012-02-28 23:58:12 Rates : 4297

And this from the other log file:

Error from cURL: Error [7]: couldn't connect to host

UPS RESPONSE:

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I'm guessing since UPS requires https it might - this site appears to have an expired SSL cert. Would UPS fail to return errors or rates if there is no valid SSL cert for it? This site is hosted on an Amazon EC2 dedicated server.

I turned off SSL in the osc config and it didn't change anything - except for the URL now pointing to HTTP instead of HTTPS. Looks like I'll have to focus on the server config blocking outbound connections. Must have been a security setting by the previous webmaster. Thanks for the replies Jim.

Edited by ludachris