• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Simple Checkout - for 2.3.1 (official support thread)

@@danut82

Everything is set to redirect on one condition or another. If the cart is empty, the checkout is set to redirect to the shopping cart. If the customer is not logged in, and goes to a login page, and is redirecting to the checkout with an empty cart, it would just create a mess for the customer. So you'd have to change the entire redirection schema.

Another solution would be to create a separate page for the login/create account section. Then use an ajax load function to call to that page from the checkout AND the login/create account pages.

Either way, it could be done. I think if I were to choose between one or the other, I'd choose the second, even though it would probably be a bit more work to put together. I just think it would be cleaner and more efficient.

Hi there,

Thanks for a great contribution. I'll be stoked once I get it working. I just installed it, clicked on a product and went to checkout and immediately got this error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in .../catalog/includes/languages/english/checkout.php on line 1

and I noticed the includes/languages/english/checkout.php there's no formatting on the latest version or previous one either.. I mean that it's all shown as one line.

I went through and pressed enter before every 'define' and got it looking how I thought it should and now I get the same error but on line 2 lol

This is one of the new files that I just uploaded straight from the zip (as you obviously know being the writer)

Here's how it looks once formatted (but I have this error for some reason that's beyond my skill level) :

<?php/*Simple Checkout for 2.3.1 v 2.0April 4, 2012Copyright © 2012 osCbyJettaReleased under the GNU General Public License*/

define('NAVBAR_TITLE', 'Checkout');

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Checkout');

define('IMAGE_BUTTON_GUEST', 'Guest Checkout');

define('IMAGE_BUTTON_CREATE', 'Create Account');

define('IMAGE_BUTTON_CANCEL', 'Cancel');

define('IMAGE_BUTTON_CONFIRM', 'Confirm');

define('IMAGE_BUTTON_NEW_ADDRESS', 'New Address');

define('IMAGE_BUTTON_EDIT_ADDRESS', 'Edit Address');

define('IMAGE_BUTTON_RESET_PASSWORD', 'Reset Password');

define('MESSAGE_ACCOUNT_ERROR', 'There was an error creating an account. Please notify the store owner about this error.');

define('MESSAGE_ADDRESS_LIMIT', 'You have stored the maximum allowable addresses. Before adding a new address, please remove one of the addresses that you already have on file.');

define('MESSAGE_FIELDS_ERROR', 'Please correct fields with errors');

define('MESSAGE_FIELDS_REQUIRED', 'Please fill in all required fields');

define('MESSAGE_LOGIN_SUCCESS', 'You have been logged in. Your guest cart has been merged with any previously stored cart items. Please verify the accuracy of your shopping cart before checking out.');

define('MESSAGE_NEW_ACCOUNT', 'Congratulations. Your new account has been successfully created');

define('TABLE_HEADING_EDIT_ADDRESS', 'Edit Address');define('TABLE_HEADING_GUEST_ACCOUNT', 'Guest Account');

define('TABLE_HEADING_MANAGE_ADDRESSES', 'Manage Addresses');define('TABLE_HEADING_NEW_ADDRESS', 'New Address');

define('TABLE_HEADING_NEW_CUSTOMER', 'Account Details');define('TABLE_HEADING_NEW_GUEST', 'Billing / Shipping Details');

define('TEXT_CONFIRM_DELETE', 'Are you sure you want to remove this item?');

define('TEXT_COUNTRY_FIRST', 'Select Country First');

define('TEXT_ENTER_COMMENTS', 'Enter Comments Here');

define('TEXT_GUEST_CUSTOMER_INTRODUCTION', 'By checking out as a guest, only the minimal information will be requested to ensure proper handling of your order. An account will not be created for you, and you will therefore not be able to view and track your order history. If you return to shop with us again, you will need to enter your information again before checking out.');

define('TEXT_NEW_CUSTOMER_INTRODUCTION', 'By creating an account you will be able to shop faster, be up to date on an orders status, and keep track of the orders you have previously made.');

define('TEXT_PASSWORD_FORGOTTEN', 'If you\'ve forgotten your password, enter your e-mail address below and we\'ll send you an e-mail message containing your new password.');

define('TEXT_PASSWORD_FORGOTTEN_LINK', 'Password forgotten? Click here.');?>

Thanks in advance

Lol ok I got it ... I missed an enter after the php..

I guess my post now turns into a 'heads up' that that file is not formatted correctly in at least the last 2 versions you posted :)

The page for choosing returning customer, create account or guest loads fine now.

What happens next is that I put in the name address etc and click continue and the checkout page loads but the mouse sits there thinking for a bit and all the product name, shipping address and billing addresses are blank and minimise and then it says my shopping cart is empty.

Sorry for being such a n00b

Edited by opiate

I thought everything was ok because I had been testing it using guest which works great. But when I try to create a new account, I fill out the form and then click the create button everything under the form shifts to the left and then back in place. The form never goes away and I never see the Congratulations. Your new account has been successfully created. I know the new account is created because if I click checkout at the top by my account it will continue with the order and I can go into admin and see the new account. I am using a localhost so can't send a link to see what it is doing. I have tried it on a modded site and on a clean install and continue to get the same results. anybody have any ideas what i am doing wrong?

@@danut82

Everything is set to redirect on one condition or another. If the cart is empty, the checkout is set to redirect to the shopping cart. If the customer is not logged in, and goes to a login page, and is redirecting to the checkout with an empty cart, it would just create a mess for the customer. So you'd have to change the entire redirection schema.

Another solution would be to create a separate page for the login/create account section. Then use an ajax load function to call to that page from the checkout AND the login/create account pages.

Either way, it could be done. I think if I were to choose between one or the other, I'd choose the second, even though it would probably be a bit more work to put together. I just think it would be cleaner and more efficient.

Thank you,

i understand, but can you offer a little hint?

thanks again

@@danut82

You mean a hint as to how to do it? No, not really. It's beyond the scope of the contribution, and either way you go, it's not an "off the top of the head" answer. It's a bit more involved than that.

@@danut82

You mean a hint as to how to do it? No, not really. It's beyond the scope of the contribution, and either way you go, it's not an "off the top of the head" answer. It's a bit more involved than that.

- yes, but can be another best contrbution associated at this one.

- in login section, after fill all fields, can be used enter - keyboard instead of click on login button?

thanks

I'm having some stylesheet problems that hopefully someone can help with.

Please have a look at http://www.northcroftgolf.com, just go to purchase anything

The first part of the checkout.php is fine where you decide on member checkout / guest checkout.

It's the next part that's throwing everything down and I can't for the life of me work out why.

Please please please if anyone knows why it's doing this then let me know, I'm spending far too much time on this already.

Thanks in advance

-James

Apologies for the last email, I've fixed it, it was all to do with aligning the main box left.

My new problem is, if the one page checkout is turned on, I get the following error from SagePay (The payment processing gateway I'm using)

This transaction attempt has failed. We are unable to redirect you back to the web store from which you were purchasing. The details of the failure are given below.

Status Detail: 3039 : The TxType or PaymentType is missing.

Anyone know how to fix this. It all works perfectly if this contribution is turned off in the admin.

Hmmmm.. how or where exactly can I change the position of the dialog/window.. I managed to position it vertically but not horizontally...and how can I locked the dialog box to stay in place whenever the browser window is resizing..

Hmmmm.. how or where exactly can I change the position of the dialog/window.. I managed to position it vertically but not horizontally...and how can I locked the dialog box to stay in place whenever the browser window is resizing..

In the checkout.php look for lines with the following in:

position: ['middle', 175]

One of them is on line 232. It's the 'middle' you want to change to an absolute value.

e.g. position: [400, 200]

Then it will stay fixed.

Hi, just wanted to add my opinion.

The work that fulluvscents has put into this module is admirable and those who are coders or who have tried to code will understand the complexities of the work involved in undertaking such a task.

However, as a website developer he mainly uses HTML and CSS, browser compatability is a huge issue.

Any sort of software that automatically does not work on a browser that has significant usage, can only be described as beta software, and that is what I think should be made more clear with regards to this particular contribution.

Its not just the fact that the contribution does not work at all in IE8 and below, we also need to take into account the accessability issues that arise from the contribution failing to render properly on such a browser platform that still has such a large user base.

I really hope that people can understand this point.

Edited by mongoled

Everyone thanks for chiming in!

After running the code by two pro guys the jury is in; browser issues are due to the code being a mess of html/ css, hence the compatibilty issues.

My intent was to pay (yes pay, as i am not a code writing type) one of these guys to clean it up as the developer is way too involved in issues understandably more important; both declined. I was then going to send to the developer for deploy as the next version (not looking for contribution credit myself,) free of cost to everyone connected.

I would like to address statements made by brainbug125 as to getting something for nothing! During install, did you notice the donations to the developer's url near top of the install.txt file? Anyone happen to make a donation? For the record... I did!

Above all, the developer is super talented, I respect and appreciate her knowledge and hard-work.

Sincerly,

Timmy C

@@mongoled

I really hope that people can understand this point.

Your response helped me understand better the depth and effects of coding and what must be considered. I agree that some sort of beta designation would help.

Depending on the add on and what it would effect, i am one of those that is willing to install certain beta releases. Helping find bugs and glitches is a way I can contribute back to the overall good here on osC.

In this case I've disabled this addon pending due to the issues with IE pending an update which I will very likely install and try again.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

@@surrfman

Everyone thanks for chiming in!

Above all, the developer is super talented, I respect and appreciate her knowledge and hard-work.

Sincerly,

Timmy C

Timmy C thanks for the follow up and sharing on what you did with consult with those other folks. I'll be watching this add on for further developments, as the concept is great as is the look/feel of the presentation of the checkout process.

Thanks

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Have another idea... It was mentioned during my research, possibly code could be inserted into, I would think, the <head> of the checkout.php file. The code would tell the checkout to switch to the stock OSC checkout when it detected an IE8 or other troublesome browser. I know in scanning OSC files, I seen something to that effect, have no idea where. Would it require making sure both checkout methods are turned on in admin?

Also, I have found a site that offers cross-testing testing of all browers, any platform, from their site. First 30 minutes is free. Offers cross-platform developer tools, and debugging of all brower versions. I'd try it, knowing 30 minutes would be wasted trying to figure out what to do!

Here is their site: http://www.browserstack.com/

Here is one that offers even more for less: http://saucelabs.com/scouthome?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=na+us+search+sauce_scout&keyword=html%20browser%20check&_kk=html%20browser%20check&_kt=27f5aaca-40eb-4ff3-b38d-8ee5c3843a40&gclid=CJS4hrTsvq8CFSWFQAodAnYFvQ

Also found this reading kinda in the groove: http://www.viiratech.com/tutorials/php-mysql/detecting-a-user-browser.html

This guy I kinda understand, but not sure how to implement. if it is a stand alone file, code inserted in another existing file. It provides some direction on detecting the browser, but how to get the stuff to tell which checkout to use, that's where I'm lost in the space/time continum.

Anyone have any ideas?

Timmy C

Not sue how to write the admin stuff, all coolness aside, what about something in admin/checkout allowing the store owner to select which browser to re-direct?

This kinda thinking is what happens when yer a genius who's switch doesn't have an off position!!!

Timmy C

@@surrfman particularly - and anyone with a MAC.

Please go through the test site in whatever environment you're browsing from, and see if it's working now (http://simplecheckout.oscbyjetta.com/checkout.php).

Please state your browser, platform (PC or MAC), and any issues that you run into. If I don't respond, it's because I'm gathering information and working on the fixes. Obviously, I can't fix anything if I'm spending all my time responding to each and every question or issue.

Tried a guest account & to create an account, both got to where the information was input, clicking confirm, gets the Windows hour-glass wait symbol. that's as far as i can get. browser froze, had to do a crtl-alt-delete to kill browser. I do notice there are several small icons, lined-up vertically, mostly just to the outside of the left of any box in center of page; there are some on the right, but not every time I tried to input infomation, seems clicking on confirm increases the count of these icons, Not sure what the iocn is, looks like a small shield with a couple vertical lines in it's center. I am running the test on Windows XP Professional with all service packs, IE8 is the browser. When i switch to Firefox, works perfectly!

I just tried a couple purchases and I am experiencing something I was experiencing with my Simple Checkout setup. The first order went through fine but when I went to place a second order a minute later (with the same information) I got the following error when I entered my email address.

"Your E-Mail Address already exists in our records - please log in with the e-mail address or create an account with a different address."

In my shop I would experience this same problem even up to a week after placing the first test order with the same email address.

So for some reason when you checkout as a guest it is still storing the email address in the db and insisting that the person with that email address has an account setup when they actually do not. And there is no way to "login" with that email address if someone didn't setup a password to begin with.

Btw, I am using Firefox 11.0 with a pc

Edited by ggrant3

Checking back test site this morning, I have the same issue with guest account not releasing, on any browser I put it to!

Another of my genius ideas: I have version 1.6 installed, what if this redirect idea could to re-direct to the earlier version, when browser has a problem. Would having two simple checkout versions enabled be an issue?

Dang... $16.00 for fuel to mow the grass; wonder what the township would say if I went for the natural look!

Timmy C

@@surrfman particularly - and anyone with a MAC.

Please go through the test site in whatever environment you're browsing from, and see if it's working now (http://simplecheckout.oscbyjetta.com/checkout.php).

Please state your browser, platform (PC or MAC), and any issues that you run into. If I don't respond, it's because I'm gathering information and working on the fixes. Obviously, I can't fix anything if I'm spending all my time responding to each and every question or issue.

Using Safari 5 on Mac OS 10.6.8, everything works up to the shipping/payment page, where the radios do not stay checked. With shipping, the chosen amount is changed in the total but the radio becomes unchecked. If I then select a payment method it also does not stay checked and the shipping returns to the cheapest option. And then clicking the "Continue" button gives me the error that I need to select a payment method.