• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Simple Checkout - for 2.3.1 (official support thread)

Hmmmph, now where's that head scratching smiley when you need it?

The script has to meet two requirements before that alert will trigger.

1. The shipping section has to be shown (because it isn't shown for zero cart weight or virtual cart)

Then, if the shipping section is visible

2. There have to be zero checked inputs on the page named "shipping"

It checks for payment first, then shipping. So, it's clearing the payment buttons. I couldn't say at all why it wouldn't be clearing the shipping button if in fact, there is a "radio" button checked whose name is "shipping".

Stumped!

Hmmmph, now where's that head scratching smiley when you need it?

The script has to meet two requirements before that alert will trigger.

1. The shipping section has to be shown (because it isn't shown for zero cart weight or virtual cart)

Then, if the shipping section is visible

2. There have to be zero checked inputs on the page named "shipping"

It checks for payment first, then shipping. So, it's clearing the payment buttons. I couldn't say at all why it wouldn't be clearing the shipping button if in fact, there is a "radio" button checked whose name is "shipping".

Stumped!

I just realized something.. there is no shipping section on my page so no shipping method. Do i need to enable 1 of the shipping method in order to prceed with the checkout?

Right now My shop does not need any shipping method it's all going to be a free delivery

BTW, i did some tweaking on the checkout.php on the function error popup line

.on('click', '#processCheckout button', function(){if ($('input[name=payment]:checked').size() == 0) alert('<?php echo ERROR_NO_PAYMENT_MODULE_SELECTED;?>');/*else if ($('#shipping').is(':visible') && $('input[name=shipping]:checked').size() == 0) alert('<?php echo TEXT_CHOOSE_SHIPPING_METHOD;?>');*/else{var str = '{"payment":"'+$('input[name=payment]:checked').val()+'",';$('input[name=payment]:checked').parent().siblings('.confirmation').find('input, select, textarea').each(function(){str = str+'"'+$(this).attr('name')+'":"'+$(this).val()+'",';});var str = str+'"action":"processCheckout"}';$('#processCheckout').parent().load(url +' #processCheckout', $.parseJSON(str), function(){$('#processCheckout button').button();$('form[name=processCheckout]').submit();});}})

I just commented on the line where the checking for the shipping method just to bypass it.. it works with COD but with PayPal standard it just redirect you to

blank https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr

It's like it does not send any data to paypal

Edited by matrism

You can do that and it will serve your needs just fine. You can also do this, which would be a more flexible fix, and which I'll note in the contribution, and include in any updates I may make in the future:

.on('click', '#processCheckout button', function(){if ($('input[name=payment]').size() > 0 && $('input[name=payment]:checked').size() == 0) alert('<?php echo ERROR_NO_PAYMENT_MODULE_SELECTED;?>');else if ($('#shipping').is(':visible') && $('input[name=shipping]').size() > 0 && $('input[name=shipping]:checked').size() == 0) alert('<?php echo TEXT_CHOOSE_SHIPPING_METHOD;?>');else{var str = '{"payment":"'+$('input[name=payment]:checked').val()+'",';$('input[name=payment]:checked').parent().siblings('.confirmation').find('input, select, textarea').each(function(){str = str+'"'+$(this).attr('name')+'":"'+$(this).val()+'",';});var str = str+'"action":"processCheckout"}';$('#processCheckout').parent().load(url +' #processCheckout', $.parseJSON(str), function(){$('#processCheckout button').button();$('form[name=processCheckout]').submit();});}})

Edited by fulluvscents

I fixed the payment module problem. That was about the most DUH thing ever. v2.0 and 2.1 are no good.

use v2.2

It includes a fix to the payment process as well as a fix for when no shipping mods are installed.

I fixed the payment module problem. That was about the most DUH thing ever. v2.0 and 2.1 are no good.

use v2.2

It includes a fix to the payment process as well as a fix for when no shipping mods are installed.

Nice one! u iz awesome! :)

I am having a problem with the jquery update.

I had change the remove link to a button following instructions found here.

http://multimixer.gr/05/01/2012/add-remove-button-to-shopping-cart-page/

Now with the jquery update it messes up the alignment of the buttons. it is doing it in the admin screen too but don't really care about how it looks in there.

The one on top is in the shopping cart and the bottom is what the buttons are doing in admin. They looked fine before I changed the jquery files.

I am doing this on a localhost so I cant send a link for the site.

.example.jpg

Will you please upload your shopping cart file? Don't post the code here. Just upload a file. You can do that by clicking the the "more reply options" button.

Is the test site still viable? Went to see if the 2.2 update cured the problems with IE8. Copyright sez test site, but getting stock OScommerce, with no guest account feature. Has the guest account feature been eliminated?

Timmy C

@@surrfman

It's there. And yes, guest option is also still there. That's not to say that someone didn't go in and turn it off while testing it out though.

It's gonna take me a bit to sort out the IE8 issues.

I still can't get Paypal to work.

I just ran through the newest version that you just uploaded (April 6th) and updated all the jquery files and everything (except paypal) is running fine.

I ran a test sale through with my paypal sandbox (regular credit card transaction) and it went through fine.

So I decided to try a paypal payment and clicked on the paypal button in the shopping cart and here is what happens:

• It takes me to paypal to log in - while displaying my cart contents on the left
  • I login to paypal
  • I get a summary of what's being purchased and address etc...
  • I click on "Pay now"
  • Then I get sent back to my Checkout page with an error in red saying "Please select a payment method for your order."
  • And once I get back to the Checkout page with the above mentioned error message - No payment options even show up then box is just empty.

Btw, I am using Firefox, not IE8 (I saw above that there are some issues with IE8 right now)

I just noticed something else wrong when I place an order using the "Guest Checkout" option and specifically not creating an account.

When I come back later and try to do another test order with the same email address I get an error saying "Your E-Mail Address already exists in our records - please log in with the e-mail address or create an account with a different address." and it doesn't allow me to proceed to the next stage of the checkout process.

But I have not created an account with that specific email address, I have only checked out "as a guest", but the site is insisting I login with that email address, but obviously I can't since I never created a password for it.

Jetta... Was looking at the checkout.php file. and the qtip.css & qtip.js Is the qtip stuff what might be giving the IE8 problems interpreting?

Does "qtip" make those neato ballons do their thing?

Timmy C

I've got someone reporting bugs in the checkout using safari on a mac platform. Checked radio buttons are un-checking themselves. Can anyone else verify that this is happening and provide any insight as to why?

I don't know if I did something wrong or not, but the newest version is completely hosed on Mac using Safari. Not only do the radio buttons uncheck themselves, but the formatting is messed up, the create account form appears under the "Confirm Order" button, and selecting a shipping method does not change the shipping from whatever it was when the page loads (which it does very slowly). When I have the chance I will go through the instructions again, but since they all seemed to be the same as the previous version, other than the stylesheet.css additions, I can't see where a mistake could have been made.

My jquery files were updated according to instructions. Both Redmond and my custom theme were updated for the new version.

I don't know enough about it to provide any insight, but it is obviously in the changes since the previous version didn't have any of those problems for me.

I don't know if I did something wrong or not, but the newest version is completely hosed on Mac using Safari. Not only do the radio buttons uncheck themselves, but the formatting is messed up, the create account form appears under the "Confirm Order" button, and selecting a shipping method does not change the shipping from whatever it was when the page loads (which it does very slowly). When I have the chance I will go through the instructions again, but since they all seemed to be the same as the previous version, other than the stylesheet.css additions, I can't see where a mistake could have been made.

My jquery files were updated according to instructions. Both Redmond and my custom theme were updated for the new version.

I don't know enough about it to provide any insight, but it is obviously in the changes since the previous version didn't have any of those problems for me.

I just checked with Firefox and found that the formatting is correct, but the shipping problem is there. Even though one shipping option is selected by default, there is no shipping in the total. I check another option (which updates the total with the chosen amount) and click the confirmation button, go to PayPal (which now does not allow for using a credit card without opening an account as it should) and the shipping amount is the original amount that was selected but not showing before I chose another one. I click the cancel link and return to my store to find that the shipping amount has changed from the amount I had chosen to the original amount. By "original" I mean the amount that was selected but not showing in the total.

Guys... I have kinda gave up on this contribution! Undeniably, it is a humoungous undertaking to publish a contribution, my hat is off to the contributor. Unfortunetly, this offering has flaws, resultant; opposite of it's intent.

I know I am in trouble with the contributor for this post; my understanding is a forum is for voicing both good & not so good.

Here are the facts: There is a need for a better checkout

Contributor started support thread with posting, hung around for about 10 days, subsequently disappearing for 6 weeks.

Contribution seems to have major issues with Internet Explorer: version 8 (or older); other browsers now being reported.

This being a major contribution, testing seems to center around current browser technologies, foregoing concern for backward compatibility.

Microsoft states that 1 in 3 Windows computers run on XP, hence the newest browser these 33% percent of users is IE8, which this contribution can't deal with. Seems to work with FireFox and Chrome.

Anyone depending on this contribution to drive more cart completions, have you noticed a differ in sales either up or down? The scary part, is ever deal with a customer, they don't which browser they are using or that they even know what a browser is. One sticks out in my mind when asked to start a new browser window; "oh, you mean the INTERNET."

One sure thing, if the customer has even an inkling of a problem, they won't be buying or returning. We as advanced computer users know how to get to what we need to complete the transaction, we are the one-percenters of the user/potentenial customer base.

Ask yourself, if i am using a checkout that doesn't work with 30+% of the known, MS documented user base, how many sales are I losing. Inserting a "use a certain browser for this site" just doesn't work.

I don't enjoy bringing all this to light, and I know just how much "right from the heart" work the contributor put into bringing this guy to life, I guess the contributor post stating 2.0 & 2.1 are no good, kinda cements it all together.

My first experience, was that the contribution was wrote with a newer version Jquery than my less than a year old 2.3.1 download; checkout page would load, while the ajax processing box stood there gyrating endlessly, dead end!!!

The contributor tried to help, but simply wasn't cogniscent of what Jquery version contribution was wrote with. The upgrade of the Jquery files provided in update versions was from my experience while the contributor took the extended hyatis, shortly after dumping the contribution out for use; Man, Jquery is what all this runs on. I tried a paid programmer, recommendation was to go back to whom ever wrote the code.

Being the author of the support thread, dumping then disappearing, really left a mess. I know we all have other commitments; please, don't argue that point.

I should really heed those disclaimer statements... There are no warranties or claims it will work.

Any one else care to chime in?

Timmy C

Edited by surrfman

Any one else care to chime in?

Sure Timmy, I'll chime in on this.

Last year Jetta saved me and probably a lot of others some serious aggravation by helping get a USPS shipping module working again after the USPS made some changes on their end that basically screwed up the functionality of the existing module. For that I owe her a debt of gratitude, and have come to respect her coding skills.

While I see that some others are having problems here and there with a couple of releases she did of late, one with another version of the USPS module and of course the simple checkout module, both have been working for me. The IE issue is something I am aware of through your posts, so I am watching for that, and if necessary may disable simple checkout if I feel the problem is significant on my site. Yet I have to note that to disable the module, I just have to do that in configuration. No major code uninstall and other such torture. How handy, disable by just a setting change.

Regarding what's put out here for anyone to use (for free), here's where I've come over the past years since I started with OSC.

This forum has many very skilled and expert code writers, yet probably all of them, one time or another made errors in code or advice. Not through negligence or such, but simply because of they way coding works, with its intricacies, dependencies, particularities and so on. I've learned enough over the past few years to come to greatly respect and admire the original and current OSC developers for their extensive skills.

My only claim to coding skill, is at one time I was a MS Access developer, using VBA to tweak and nudge Access to do all kinds of neat stuff. It was then I learned about how particular and demanding exact coding can be. So when you think of the OSC spiderweb, calling this, querying that, it's simply amazing that this product is here (for free) to use.

Here on the forums I've learned that new releases (and old ones)likely will have bugs here and there. So depending on who is releasing the add on, I will sometimes take the plunge and do the install, knowing full well something may come up that we don't want. So i watch the site, see what's going on with overall functionality, and if anything flags out first try to figure it out myself, but usually posting for help on the support thread.

As far as support, I don't know what to say about expectations. I am sure these folks have businesses to run, lives to live, so how much can we expect of them to help us out (for free) with our own particular issues. Yet they do. Maybe its not an immediate response, or perhaps they don't know the immediate solution and need time to do research on the bug/glitch or whatever. Or maybe they'll ask us to try this or that to help them narrow down the source.

I try to be careful on asking for too much help especially right off. I try to figure things out myself. I don't want to burn these folks out. And I've seen a few get burned out, but mostly coming back after maybe a breather.

Anyway, all said, I am optimisitic for simple checkout, and the eventually Jetta will help us work out bugs, glitches and so on. And all for free.

Keep on keepin' on.....

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

To elaborate on what @@altoid has said:

In January, 2011, I knew html. That was the extent of it. My USPS module broke, and there was no available fix. It took me a week of eyeballing and fighting with a language that I knew nothing about and reading the USPS API manual, breaking down the existing script and guessing at what each section did, and struggling to find the piece that wasn't right, and then further struggling to add the bells and whistles that I figured I was entitled to for all the work that I put into it. I shared that work freely. Anybody else could have just as easily put the time and effort into it and probably succeeded, and while some secretly already had their fixes in place, others sat idly by waiting for someone else to do it for them. I needed it done, did it, and I shared it. If it worked for others, then great. If not, then so be it. A year later, for no reason except I felt like it, I decided to rewrite the entire script just to eliminate the mess of code that came with the old one.

And that is the plain and simple fact with every contribution you see. They are written to work for somebody, to meet somebody's needs. I can take one of two stances. The first is simply this: "If you don't like it, then do it your own damn self like I did". The second is how I look at it. I want these contributions to work for myself. So, of course, I want them to work in general. While I personally am not experiencing any of the bugs that others are experiencing, it does not mean that the bugs don't exist. It simply means that I don't have the means to replicate them, be that lack of platform, lack of browser, etc... Obviously, if I have IE9, then it's going to be tough for me to test on IE8, and likewise, I can have a million PCs but it is NOT going to tell me what's going on with a MAC. My sites run on Apache 2.2.22, PHP 5.3.10, MySQL 5.1.56, and use peering connections for faster speed. So, I am not going to be able to replicate problems with older server software or slower servers. The short of it is that there are so many varying factors that nobody can possibly expect a one size fits all contribution, particularly when you're talking about using such a wide variety of scripting languages and communication methods in one page of a website.

As online business owners, we have all taken on the responsibility of owning a website and doing whatever it takes to make that website work for us the way we want it to. We can pay others to do the work. We can wait around for others to do it for us. We can take what we can get for free, and tweak it for our own needs. It would probably cost me ten grand or better to get the work done that I want. I decided to do it myself and compromise my own website in the meantime, which is why I'm only doing business on eBay right now. It doesn't matter how we do it. But, one thing we should never allow ourselves to do, is complain about work that others do for us for free, even if it isn't perfect, or even usable at all. Where I, and many others come from, we call that just plain rude.

Onto the contribution itself, for some people rolling back to the 1.7 version may work best. For others, the 2.2 version may be working perfectly. For others yet, it may not work at all and you may want to go back to the old OPC. Originally, I wasn't even going to use ajax. I was going to let the page refresh on every change to avoid all the bugs that come with these scripts. Getting a custom script that does that may meet more needs than an ajax version. I don't know. But, do what works for you.

In my personal opinion, unless or until I know this is working on all platforms, and in all browsers, I think that I need to perform a browser/platform check in the script, and turn the checkout off if the site is running in those particular environments. If anyone is up to putting together the code to do that, I'd surely appreciate it. But, as far as immediately investing a lot more time into this, I do have more pressing projects to deal with, which affect my retail business personally. Those MUST come first.

PS @@altoid - On another note, I ran across the bug in the shipping restrictions and know what it is. Just haven't worked on it yet.

@@surrfman

I totally disagree with you.

I'm not here to argue but you have to considering some points:

1. Is a "must" for all users to test each contribution locally before going online in a webstore.
  2. Those contributions are free and that means Free Time spent from developers to help the community...(yes.. you and me too) . Thank you Jetta
  3. Seems that you "pretend" all their works for free becouse "YOU"...are loosing money (without spending a single penny)
  4. You have to considering that there are very fews feedback that can be helpful for programmers to improve their contributions. Most of the people solves their problems without sharing their knowledge. This means that many developers are working alone without "Beta Testers". Their doing Beta by theirself.
  5. Seems that you don't have an idea how much time takes to have a good script (not a crappy one)
  6. More considerations that altoid and jetta already did

@@fulluvscents

Go ahaed and thank you for all what you are doing.

Edited by Brainbug125

@@surrfman

Another point

1. You said that you are an advanced user then "why" do you complain? You already should know all above points. Try to find or fix some bugs and start to sharing with us. Is more helpful for the community than complain.

Edited by Brainbug125

When creating an account or signing in as a guest, how would I go about removing the list of countries (only selling in US) and have the list of states just show up or at least have it default to the United States with the list of states?

@@ToneDJ

If you're using 2.2, then I set up a nifty little line in the script that you can modify to set a default country. I forgot to mention that in the instructions. Skipped my mind.

Find: $default_country = ''; and set the country number between the quotes (223 is the US in stock osc)

To eliminate other countries altogether, remove everything from your country list in your admin panel.