• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

USPS Rate V4, Intl Rate V2 (official support thread)

There are two Tare settings; check that both are zero.

Also check that your USPS module is set to use Retail and not Online pricing.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Admin >> Configuration >> Shipping/Packaging:
  Package Tare weight. 0
  Larger packages - percentage increase. 10

The second one will increase shipping weight by 10%.

Online is fine if you buy all of your postage online. If you are buying retail then all of your shipping quotes will be low.

Regards

Jim

Sorry for the delay, I'm heading out of town.  My large package is set at 20%.  How does it determine what is a large package?  There is no where in item to give the package size, just weight.  So by the large package should (or except a very few exceptions) never come in play with my shipping.  90% of my packages are small to medium.  Shouldn't Large package (the oversize) be in inches?  Since they UPS and USPS charge more for packages over 70".  And then the package size should be in item maintenance?  Or just remove the large package from the program. Not every package is oversize or large.

Thanks for the file Dcully,  Thx Jim for the info. I had my tare set to 0 but had the 10% for heavy.. Also was set to online as I thought being an online store it would need to be set to online. I will give this a test run and see what happens.

One of the main problems we will have is with the new rates that USPS has placed with the 13 oz or under will ship flat but anything over 13 oz auto goes to first class priority. My shop is in the same building as the post office so we only use them to ship with. To easy to walk two doors down and ship.. The postmaster and I are good friends and he is telling me more changes are going to happen soon.

@@dculley  You are adding 20% to the weight of all packages. Set that to 0 and your weights will be accurate.

@@Crossbow21  Online rates are cheaper, but you have to buy your postage online. There are also more restrictions on what you can ship with online postage. Since you are walking down to the post office, set it to Retail. And watch that tare weight -- it may increase some of your First Class Flat weights past the 13oz. limit.

It's easy to say the Post Office will be making more changes. They always do.

Regards

Jim

Been working on them and have it coming out close to what I need. Yeah that 13 oz deal is a ball buster for sure. Has someone made a mod that allows free shipping on selected items that will not interfere with the shipping items ? 

@  Jim thanks for the information.  I can not beleive that I have worked around the "large package".  Never thought about it as a "TAR".  I assumed it was the over size and over weight charge.  Maybe it needs to go away.  Thanks again.

@@dculley  The percentage Tare weight is very useful to stores that often sell multiple products in a single order. You can set it to compensate for the packing material weight.

The name should probably be changed to reflect the fact that is is a Tare weight.

Regards

Jim

Jim,

I have taken Large Package to 0 and tried interring true weithts on just a few items.  I'm still not getting true weights on USPS side. 

Both tar and lg package are set to 0. 

example I put in .3 for 3 oz and USPS shows 5oz - put in .6 for 6 oz and shows 10oz

So I had to go back to sitting lg pck to 20 and continue with my chart.  I have over 1000 items on the web.  If you come up with something else please let me know. 

The weights in osCommerce are in pounds, not pounds and ounces.

0.3 pounds = 4.8 ounces, rounded to 5 by the USPS.

0.6 pounds = 9.6 ounces, rounded to 10 by the USPS.

The code is working correctly. Oh, and it's tare, not tar. Two different things.

Regards

Jim

Thanks for the key.  So if I want true weights, and I need 3oz, I have to key in .15 so USPS will equal 3oz and charge just that. 

I have used the key and setup a ounce chart that is working.  If I key in the weight as 1.3 it will come out on USPS side as 1 lb and 5 oz. 

Thanks again

Jim

That should do it. Note that USPS is the only one that uses ounces; UPS and FedEx just round up to the nearest pound.

Regards

Jim

Within our store we sell items that have a weight set to .1 lb. -

Placing only one item in the cart displays ALL the First Class options.  (I understand why - My Settings while trying to figure this out)

Placing 2 items in the cart causes "First-Class Mail® Large Envelope" to display TWICE.

Placing 3 items in the cart causes "First-Class Mail® Large Envelope" to display TWICE.

Placing 4 items in the cart and the module again displays correctly.

I have a jpg file showing Admin settings and what is shown in the front end 

What must I do to display "First-Class Mail® Large Envelope" ONLY once?  Was there a correction portion of code not incorporated in 

USPS Methods Rates V4 Intl Rates V2 - R3.2 by a.forever on 13 Mar 2014

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8702

post-59714-0-29496900-1406908119_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chadduck

This module does not handle First Class Envelope properly. It assumes that all First Class Envelope mail is Large Envelope. Remove the first option and you should see the correct result.

Regards

Jim

Within our store we sell items that have a weight set to .1 lb. -

Placing only one item in the cart displays ALL the First Class options.  (I understand why - My Settings while trying to figure this out)

Placing 2 items in the cart causes "First-Class Mail® Large Envelope" to display TWICE.

Placing 3 items in the cart causes "First-Class Mail® Large Envelope" to display TWICE.

Placing 4 items in the cart and the module again displays correctly.

I have a jpg file showing Admin settings and what is shown in the front end 

What must I do to display "First-Class Mail® Large Envelope" ONLY once?  Was there a correction portion of code not incorporated in 

USPS Methods Rates V4 Intl Rates V2 - R3.2 by a.forever on 13 Mar 2014

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8702

Thanks for reporting this.

I've uploaded a fix that should work nicely. Let me know how it goes.

You should be able to utilize all three services properly without any duplicated services in your results.

@@jim

USPS has a new shipping term "Parcel Select " it is like ground shipping (2 to 9 days). Not to be confised with "Standard". Is something you can add to this one or the one you are working on? It is a lot cheaper then priorty mail.

Is Parcel Select being added as an option?

Standard Post does not work any more :-/

Is Parcel Select being added as an option?

Standard Post does not work any more :-/

Standard Post has changed. According to USPS, Standard Post is "Available for Zones 5-9, up to 70 lbs. Prices in Zones 1-4, up to 70 lbs, are only for the mailing of hazardous materials, live animals, or other items required to be shipped by ground/surface transportation." Additional fine print reads that it's only available at retail, so if you opt for online prices using this module you won't get rates anyways. Could probably override this restriction in a future update, or make it its own unique shipping module, but it seems USPS is passively persuading everything to jump to Priority Mail.

Parcel Select is a domestic business service, in the sense that it isn't a regular service you can find at your post office. On the USPS website, it would be classified under Business Solutions along with the Every Door Direct Mail and other crazy business shipping options like Critical Mail, PeriodicalsPriority Mail Open & Distribute, etc. Most of these services, while cheaper, don't apply to the average person unless you have some sort of permit or agreement with the post office and ship a certain required volume per day/week/month. It also has its own Business Price Calculator, which I don't want to learn at all.

tl;dr -- No, switch to Priority Mail or other shipper instead of using Standard Post.

In cases where Standard Post is still available, it is more expensive than Priority Mail and has a longer delivery time. Why bother?

Regards

Jim

please help me

i keep getting this message

and i cant figure it out why. 

An error occured with the USPS shipping calculations.
If you would like to use USPS as your shipping method, please contact the store owner.

i have been trying to figure it out but i suck at all this coding