• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] MaxMind Fraud Detection Service v3.0

nrlatsha

This is the official support thread for:

MaxMind Fraud Detection Service v3.0

This will allow the the owner to query the MaxMind servers to place a risk score with credit card transactions.

What is minFraud? minFraud is an online fraud detection service that reduces chargebacks by identifying risky orders to be held for further review. minFraud identifies whether an online transaction comes from an anonymizing proxy, high risk IP address or email. minFraud is used to scrub online e-commerce transactions, affiliate referrals, surveys, account logins and signups.

This version supports a boatload of the newer features. I decided to start a new thread due to the age of the first one. Let me know what you think/want/need.

This should work with: Authorize.net, Chronopay, Inpay, Moneybookers, Paypal Pro, Paypal Pro Payflow, Paypal Standard, RBS World Pay, SagePay Direct, Sofortueberweisung Direct, but I have only tested it on Authorize.net. I would love to get more testers to see if this works for everyone.

Questions, concerns, problems?

I'll get around to them as quickly as I can.

Get it here: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8316

post-25810-0-11944000-1327116233_thumb.png

Edited by nrlatsha

9 times out of 10 its a PEBCAK Error (Problem exists between chair and keyboard)

Replace that and you're fine...

Oh yeah, you can now google map the IP of the customer through an automatic link also.

9 times out of 10 its a PEBCAK Error (Problem exists between chair and keyboard)

They used to offer 10 queries per month for those without a key or account, but they now require a key.

The trial version is for 1,000 non-expiring standard queries, which is perfect for testing and trials.

@@nrlatsha,

So, the add on you supplied will require the user to PAY for your service after they have used the 1000 queries ?

If that is the case, then I don't believe your add on belongs on this website. (JMO)

Chris

If that is the case, then I don't believe your add on belongs on this website. (JMO)

This is a very useful add-on and as long as the module itself is free and GNU i see no problem with it being availble through this site, there are plenty of other add-ons which require you to have some sort of "subscription" for you to use them.

Also in this case the "author" is as far as i know not the service provider and he/she has also made, maintained and supported earlier versions of this same mod over a long periode of time and should be commended for doing so.

Edited by toyicebear

• 1 month later...

Hi Noel,

The instructions for your latest MaxMind update say to update the minFraud account to v1.2, but I just noticed that v1.3 is out now. Should I still select v1.2 for now? Will the new feature in v1.3 be incorporated here sometime?

Thanks for the great contribution, and toyicebear mentioned, for maintaining it well for so long.

Longhorn,

Thanks for the note, I didn't notice they updated that on 13 Feb. They added "version" (MaxMind service version), "service level" (premium or standard service used) and "prepaid" (checks to see if its a prepaid credit card or gift card) to the output fields. They removed the "score" and "explanation" fields from the output.

I'll need to add those fields to the database table, and remove how I calculate the "risk" graphic to the admin order page. I currently have it based on the old score, but I should upgrade to their new risk score. They contacted me about it, but I haven't had time to finish with me finishing my masters degree and the follow-on Call of Duty marathon.

I'll start to take a look and hopefully will have a new version out in a couple of days.

Thanks for the note!

Oh, yes, select 1.2 for now or you'll come up with some empty fields in your output.

Edited by nrlatsha

Thanks for the help! I know that school and COD are top priorities (not necessarily in that order), and I'll wait for your next version. This has saved me from at least one potentially expensive fraudulent transaction, so I recommend it to everyone.

• 1 month later...

Will work on both of these soonest, I didn't forget about you guy, sorry its taken so long.

• 5 months later...

jacekbr: Can you PM me the info on what your guy did?

Working on a new release, sorry it took so long. Here's a peek, feedback is good!:

post-25810-0-97124400-1351830073_thumb.png

Edited by nrlatsha

v3.2 is out! Waiting for contribution approval before it's able to be downloaded.

Change notes: 3 Nov 2012 13:00:01 V3.2

(1) Updated API version to 1.3.

(2) Fixed the 'shows up for every order' bug.

(3) Fixed the 'query for every order' bug.

(4) Added a database table to store the 'passed to' maxmind parameters.

(5) Added some javascript to show/hide those parameters in the order page.

(6) Removed some deprecated commands from the interfaces w/MaxMind.

(7) Added some fields to query & return data.

(8) Removed some deprecated fields in the GUI.

(9) Other misc items...

Future release to make testing easier on its way.

Always interested to hear new ideas too!

post-25810-0-15239900-1351959646_thumb.png

post-25810-0-95031800-1351959666_thumb.png

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8316

Version 3.3:

Change notes: 5 Nov 2012 21:05:01 V3.3

(1) Corrected Database tables omission in step 4 (it should be the same as step 5, different file location

(2) Added a step to delete the maxmind.php on the admin side, that logic is already in maxtest.php

(3) Deleted one of the sample photos in these instructions to keep package under 300k.

The instructions state it works with osCommerce v2.3.1, but it was developed and tested against v2.3.3.

I will update the instructions during the next code revision.

The next code revision will be when I get some ideas to include. I'm open to ideas from anyone.

Hi Noel,

I upgraded all the way from v2.0 to this latest version, and I'm using osC 2.2RC2a. Your updated instructions worked great. The database entries were mildly tricky and the commands might need to be run in a different order (for my older edition anyways), but just about everything seems to be working OK.

I did upgrade to the premium edition of MaxMind, though I still had free standard queries left from the initial trial. I changed the setting to premium in maxtest.php, and that test seemed to work fine. I changed the setting in includes/modules/maxmind/maxmind.php to premium as well, but the latest order that came through doesn't seem to be processing it as a premium query.

$requested_type = "premium";
//$requested_type = "standard";

samplemaxmindreport.jpg

samplemaxmindreport.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hopefully one of these images show through.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing in my settings?

Regardless of whether premium or standard queries are used, this is a great add-on that you've coded and supported well and I highly recommend it for everyone, at least all of those based in the US.

Thanks!

@@longhorn1999

It looks like I was stepping on my own variable in maxmind.php.

Line 99: $h['requested_type'] = $request_type;

Should be: $h['requested_type'] = $requested_type;

That variable must be defined somewhere else, because it grabbed "SSL"

I can upload a new package if you're not comfortable changing that line in the code.

Let me know.

@@longhorn1999

It looks like I was stepping on my own variable in maxmind.php.

Line 99: $h['requested_type'] = $request_type;

Should be: $h['requested_type'] = $requested_type;

That variable must be defined somewhere else, because it grabbed "SSL"

I can upload a new package if you're not comfortable changing that line in the code.

Let me know.

No problem, I've made that change now. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again!

No problem, I've made that change now. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again!

So I've had a few transactions since I made that edit, and still it doesn't seem to be reading it as a premium query, thought the requested type in the bottom half did go from SSL to premium.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/samplemaxmindreport2.jpg/

Do you think it may be something on MaxMind's end or in my MaxMind settings at their website that's off?

So I've had a few transactions since I made that edit, and still it doesn't seem to be reading it as a premium query, thought the requested type in the bottom half did go from SSL to premium.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/samplemaxmindreport2.jpg/

Do you think it may be something on MaxMind's end or in my MaxMind settings at their website that's off?

Are you able to go to their site and see the output? Its under "minFraud Query History"

It should show the inputs and outputs there.

Are you able to go to their site and see the output? Its under "minFraud Query History"

It should show the inputs and outputs there.

Hi nrlatsha,

I've copied and pasted it below. In some of the entries, I've replaced part of the strings with question marks, just to be extra cautious.

Maybe my checkout process is missing something? It only asks for the credit card type, number, and CVV code like most checkouts.

Outputs

Estimated distance from IP Address to Billing Address, in Kilometers: 1

Country Match Yes

IP Country Code US

High Risk Country No

Free Email Provider No

Anonymous Proxy No

BIN Country Code

BIN Match

BIN Name Match

BIN Name

BIN Phone Match

BIN Phone

Ship Forward No

Customer Phone in Billing Location No

Proxy Score (0 low risk, 3 and above high risk) 0.00

Carder Email No

riskScore 0.11

Inputs

IP Address 174.??.???.???

Forwarded IP Address

Domain of email address ????????.edu

Billing City/Region/Postal Minneapolis MN 5????

Billing Country US

BIN Number

BIN Name

BIN Phone

Customer Phone 715???????

Ship Address 4???? ?????? Ave

Ship City Minneapolis

Ship Region MN

Ship Postal 5????

Ship Country US

Email MD5 57c4f2?????????????????

Username MD5 57c4f2?????????????????

Password MD5

Requested Type premium

Transaction ID 1????

Session ID 88d5ce??????????????????????????????

User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:16.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0

Accept Language en-US,en;q=0.5

IP Address of Server making minFraud request 50.22.??.?

Edited by longhorn1999