• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to setup a town/city for free local delivery in MultiGeoZone?

papagino

Ok, here is what I am trying to accomplish, I have an online shop where I can ship my product to Canada and US.

But what I want also is to have “Free Home Delivery” to customers in my City.

I have installed and configured MultiGeoZone MultiTable Shipping module on my osc 2.3.1 and created zone for Canada and US.

This is all working fine but what I cannot figure out is how to create and setup a zone for a “City” (Not for Province/State/Country...)

Here is what I did so far:

In my Admin, I went in “Locations / Taxes” then in “Zones” and created a special Zone as follow:

Country Zone Code

Canada My City HDM

Then in “Tax Zones” I created 3 Tax Zones as follow:

Shp: Canada

Shp: Free Shipping

Shp: United States: 48

In the folder “Shp: Free Shipping“ I inserted a tax zone for my City:

Country Zone

Canada My City

Now in the "MultiGeoZone MultiTable" Shipping module, I have configured shipping with different rates for Canada and US and

also configured the Geo Zone 3 “Shp: Free Shipping” as follow:

Geo Zone 3 Table Method

weight

Geo Zone 3 Handling Fee

Geo Zone 3 Shipping Table 1

0:$0

Now when I create a fake client with a fake address using my City in the address and make a purchase, it will show the shipping rate included in

“Shp: Canada” zone and not in “Shp: Free Shipping” zone?

Why is this?

Is it because the module is unable to parse data from the “City:” field but only from “State/Province” or “Country:” field?

I know it can be done but have spent hours reading on this forum and can’t find anything that gives a clear explanation on how to get this working.

Please Help

Cheers

Daniel

Edited by papagino

Found a solution, Thanks to Matt...

If you want to offer “Free Home Delivery” to customers from your City or nearby cities, here's what you do:

Note that this shipping option will only be visible to customers from cities that you specify in Admin from the attached "store_pickup.zip" module.

I use the MultiGeoZone shipping module as my primary shipping option.

The "store_pickup.zip" shipping module is configured to work with ZIP codes and not cities, but this is easily fix with one line change in the spu.php file from the includes/modules/shipping folder.

You change this line:

if (MODULE_SHIPPING_SPU_ZIP == '' || !in_array($order->delivery['postcode'], $dept_allow)) return false;

With this line:

if (MODULE_SHIPPING_SPU_ZIP == '' || !in_array($order->delivery['city'], $dept_allow)) return false;

Then you can easily change the language file from:

<?php
/*
 $Id: spu.php,v 1.3 2002/06/15 01:15:42 mbs Exp $
 CONTRIB is Store Pickup Shipping Module (http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,164)
 Created by Michael Halvorsen
 http://www.arachnia-web.com
 Copyright (c) 2002 Arachnia-web Development.
 Released under the GNU General Public License.
 May be used and modified without permission.
*/
define('MODULE_SHIPPING_SPU_TEXT_TITLE', 'Store Pickup<br />');
define('MODULE_SHIPPING_SPU_TEXT_DESCRIPTION', 'Store Pickup.');
define('MODULE_SHIPPING_SPU_TEXT_WAY', '<b>Please allow 2 days processing time</b>');
?>

To something like this:

<?php
/*
 $Id: spu.php,v 1.3 2002/06/15 01:15:42 mbs Exp $
 CONTRIB is Store Pickup Shipping Module (http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,164)
 Created by Michael Halvorsen
 http://www.arachnia-web.com
 Copyright (c) 2002 Arachnia-web Development.
 Released under the GNU General Public License.
 May be used and modified without permission.
*/
define('MODULE_SHIPPING_SPU_TEXT_TITLE', '*** Free Home Delivery ***<br />');
define('MODULE_SHIPPING_SPU_TEXT_DESCRIPTION', 'Free Home Delivery.');
define('MODULE_SHIPPING_SPU_TEXT_WAY', '<b>Congratulation!</b><br /> Home addresses in the <u>Your City or Cities</u> area qualify for<br />
<b>FREE Home Delivery.</b><br />
Please make sure you provide a valid telephone number. We will call you to arrange a delivery time and date. Thank you.');
?>

Or something like that...

How it works is you install it in your admin like normal and then you add a list cities that you want to offer Home Delivery separated by commas. City1, City2, etc.... The module ONLY shows when the users shipping address has one of city you specify.

Put spu.php in your includes/modules/shipping folder and then put the spu.php in the language folder into your includes/languages/english (or your language)/modules/shipping folder.

This works great.

Cheers

Daniel

store_pickup.zip

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have a similar case where I have one customer who I want to offer free shipping to and deliver the products myself. The problem I am facing is two fold. First the customer is in another city and county in the same state and the tax rate is different for their county than mine, so I have to make sure their order includes the correct taxes, but I want the shipping cost to be zero.

I looked at discount codes, but they are applied before shipping/taxes and that is incorrect.

I tried to use the pickup rate module which is active on my site, but while the shipping charge is zero, the tax rate is incorrectly charged based on my location, not theirs.

I think if I had an option to add another location, with the customers address and use it for pickup rate, I think that would do it, but I don't see any option to configure this.

Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks!!

Steve

One thought I had was that I wish I could just have a field on the customer account that I could update and set a field for:

ChargeShipping=No/Yes

ChargeTax=Yes/No

For those customers without these fields, shipping/tax calculates as normal. However, for those customer(s) with these fields, shipping is either displayed as usual or not (if No) and Pick Up is the default. For taxes (if NC in my case) they are applied or not based on buyers address, not pickup location. Currently, if I choose to have a Pick Up instead of shipping, taxes are not based on the buyers location, but on the shippers location. So if I'm delivering it myself, then the taxes should be based on where it is being delivered to in that case.