• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SLl Shared Characters display £ but the rest of the Shopping cart is ok.. :-(

themuir

Hi there, as in the title I have an issue with the £ being displayed once the website goes into SSL mode. I have asked about this with my server company but they have not been very helpful. Does anyone know how to add "AddDefaultCharset UTF-8" to the config files for the website but for the SSL certificate when its being used? The SSL is by passing the characters I have set up on the config files.

I'm pretty stuck with this.

I also have one other issue.. my Shopping cart is displayed as Shoping cart in the top right hand corner of my website but I don't know how to correct this spelling mistake.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

T

issue with database encoding, simply go to oscommerce admin panel the currency setting and change the £ to £

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

Thanks for the reply. The currency settings are fine ... The £ changes when shopping cart goes into SSL mode.. then it changes to £.

Do you also have any idea why the info box displays shoping cart instead of shopping cart ... :-(

If you're seeing £ instead of £, you have a UTF-8 character being displayed in Latin-1, or at some point the UTF-8 £ was actually converted into £ (perhaps around the database). How did you enter this character into your currency system? Did you cut and paste a symbol in, or did you use an HTML entity (& pound;). If cut and paste, what was the page being displayed in, and what was the encoding of your source?

It's odd that SSL-protected pages are showing in Latin-1 but non-SSL pages are showing the same character in UTF-8. Can you check if the page encoding is different between the two? That's the only thing I can think of -- SSL itself should have no effect. It just happens to be showing a different page.

Hi Phil,

The currency is set to £. All through the website its fine. When I get to the checkout section and if something is added to basket it then displays £.

I'm pretty stumped with this. I did email my hosting company as this is who owns the SSL certificate. This is what they replied with:

Whilst I'm a little limited in the support I can provide for site config issues - I think what you need to change here is the character encoding when the SSL is being used.

AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

Checking the headers returned when using the SSL, I'm seeing ' charset=iso-8859-15' as the charset, that is

"https: Content-Type text/html; charset=iso-8859-15"

but on the non-ssl version, I'm seeing just:

"http: Content-Type text/html"

I'm not sure if this helps or not?

T

Latin-15 is a modified version of Latin-1 (with Euro and some other characters... how ironic that the Euro symbol might disappear soon!). You'll need to figure out why some pages are displaying with Latin-15 and others with UTF-8. Your site is outputtting the UTF-8 codes for £, but either the particular page is declaring Latin-15 to be its encoding, or something is sending an HTTP header to override the declared UTF-8 encoding and use Latin-15 instead. If all SSL pages exhibit this behavior, I would suspect that the host is misconfigured, especially if the page's own <head> section declares UTF-8. Before accusing your host, scan all your site for "Latin-15" and "ISO-8859-15" (case insensitive) and see if some mod or something is sending an HTTP header (header() call in PHP) to override the encoding. If not, it's got to be your host (I've heard of this kind of thing before).

Yes, it's preferable to use HTML entities (& pound; or nnnn; codes) rather than hard coded binary character codes (single or multibyte), wherever you have non-ASCII characters being used/inserted in general code. For language-specific files, where you control the character encoding being used, it's safe to use hard coded characters in that encoding, but for code or database use, you should always use HTML entities if possible, as you have no control over what character set encoding the character will be displayed in.

Archived